Kirst Mason ejector installl?

Started by John William McCandles, May 11, 2013, 07:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John William McCandles

What pointers does anyone have about the installation of the Kirst Mason ejector install on a 5 1/2" Pietta 1858?
I'm waiting for delivery of two from VTI and was wondering what I'll need to do.

Thanks
JW
NCOWS #1792
SASS #963
STORM #59
Johnson County Rangers
The Old West Players
Alpine Outlaws (Inactive)
NRA Life
NAHC Life
U.S. Navy Submarine Service Retired

Coyote Hunter

They will be a slide in replacement for your cylinder pin. Hoof hearted redid mine and added on to my '58.
Here's mine and an original sold at an auction. They are correct for a gunsmith converted gun, here's an example.
"The Lord Is My Shepherd, The Bible is my guide, My horse is my partner, Mr. Remrington's on my side."

Member of the American Frontier Reenactment Guild
SixGuns Entertainment, Inc. www.sixgunsonline.com
T & L Ministries as the Circuit Rider Bro. Beauregard http://saddlebagpreacher.blogspot.com

John William McCandles

Quote from: Coyote Hunter on May 11, 2013, 06:30:15 PM
They will be a slide in replacement for your cylinder pin. Hoof hearted redid mine and added on to my '58.
Here's mine and an original sold at an auction. They are correct for a gunsmith converted gun, here's an example.

Thanks CH, Your '58 turned out pretty well. I have my conversion cylinders installed and the loading ports cut, just waiting on the ejectors as they were out of stock when Kirst and Raven were at the NCOWS convention.
I was mostly wondering on what needs to be cut down to work on the 5 1/2" barrel versions and if there was a way to remove the cylinder pin without cutting it.
Hope your all doing well!

Regards
JW
NCOWS #1792
SASS #963
STORM #59
Johnson County Rangers
The Old West Players
NRA Life
NAHC Life

Coyote Hunter

There should be a screw on the side of the frame holding in the ramrod. Remove it and the ramrod and the Cylinder pin will slide right out. If not, it may be tight from the factory so a rubber mallet or wooden dowel may be needed the first couple of times. The ejector comes with a rod already on it, so it should slide back in place of the old one. If it's tight, you may have to grease it up for the first few times. Mine was tight at first, but now after I remove the screw and ramrod, it slides right out if it's greased really good.

We're doing good, hope you all are also.

"The Lord Is My Shepherd, The Bible is my guide, My horse is my partner, Mr. Remrington's on my side."

T & L Ministries as the Circuit Rider Bro. Beauregard http://saddlebagpreacher.blogspot.com

Coyote Hunter

I meant Raven did mine, not Hoof Hearted...Sorry Raven.

Once you get your cylinders done, I use .45 Schofield a lot as reloaded .45lc can be a little long unless you really watch your OAL. I don't know if CAS allows it, but I have found .45 colt case with .40 grains 2F and a .457 round ball crimped in the case to be an EXCELLENT round for target or here on the farm. it hits right at POA at 25 yards. The 250 grain bullet reloads shoot about 6" high at that range. Probably because of the recoil. The round ball loads are light recoil and cheap to shoot for fun.

John William McCandles

I've been loading .45 Schofield for these with 175gr. Slim big lube bullets haven't had a chance to shoot any of them as of yet. I had planned on it at the JCR match this Saturday but will most likely us my '60 R&M Colt's as that is what I plan to shoot at the nationals in June.
The install of the ejectors sounds pretty straight forward, my only concern is getting the old cylinder pins out and the ejector with it's cylinder pin back in as these are 5 1/2" Piettas and the loading lever latch is not dovetailed as they are on the Uberti's, so I'm not sure if the latch can be removed and then reinstalled. Or if I must cut the old cylinder pin if there will be enough clearance on the ejector assy. pins to get them in with the latch installed. Oh well I guess I'll find out when I get them and try.

Regards
JW
NCOWS #1792
SASS #963
STORM #59
Johnson County Rangers
The Old West Players
NRA Life
NAHC Life

Coyote Hunter

I just checked several other sites and I see your problem with the shorter barrel and the latch not being dovetailed in. The pin is too long. DUH on my part. If you haven't been here, try these guys....

http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php?PHPSESSID=fhsmk6t1has3l82tghv5r0ie51&;

John William McCandles

I spoke to Raven and they are going to do the modifications to the ejectors before shipment. I guess the ejector is notched to facilitate installation without removing the lever latch. Just have to notch the old cylinder pins in the same way to get them out.
Hopefully I will have them next week.

JW
NCOWS #1792
SASS #963
STORM #59
Johnson County Rangers
The Old West Players
NRA Life
NAHC Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk