1851 Navy .38 Long Colt sound/recoil

Started by Doug.38PR, May 06, 2013, 07:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug.38PR

Just a minute ago I too my girlfriend out the back door to shoot above said gun with above said load.  She was, at first scared I was getting her to try to shoot my .44 Magnum Super Blackhawk again (which she didn't like).   I told her this was probably the lightest thing she's shot to date.

She fired it, liked it very well.  Heard me shooting it earlier from inside my house and wasn't even sure it was a gun.   I shot the last three shots from it after a few moments ago and she didn't even bother putting her earmuffs on shaking her head and said there was nothing to the sound.

I just can't believe there is THAT much difference between Long Colt and Special.  It's almost like, dare I say, a .22.   A 158 gr lead round nose bullet with 1.6-1.7 grains of Trailboss behind it sounding like a puny .22.   And the recoil is next to nothing too. 

griswold

Light recoil would be handy if you were on a horse, going like thunder, with a couple of arrows sticking outta ya. ::)
Griswold,
The Griswold was favored by my Great Grand Pa James Henry Story who rode with the 7th Georgia Cavalry.

Mean Bob Mean

What kind of muzzle velocity does 158 grains over 1.7 grains of TB equate to?
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Doug.38PR

Can't be very high.  I need to clock it.  the loading data in the Hodgdon magazine I used quoted 150 gr with 1.8 of TB going about 550 ft per second.   

dusty texian

Them kinda loads should be very handy. I know it's off topic a bit ,but I use 160 grn cast lead over 8 grn. of Trail Boss and large pistol primer, in my 30 wcf for plinkin. Was a dang good way ta get the Youngun's started with the centerfire's .Not loud hardly no noise ,justa pop.......Dusty

Hoof Hearted

Works real well on small critters and such in a trap, right behind the shoulder!

HH
Anonymity breeds bravado.......especially over the internet!
http://cartridgeconversion.com
http://heelbasebullet.com
aka: Mayor Maynot KILLYA SASS #8038
aka: F. Alexander Thuer NCOWS #3809
STORM #400

Doug.38PR

Quote from: dusty texian on May 07, 2013, 05:11:47 PM
Them kinda loads should be very handy. I know it's off topic a bit ,but I use 160 grn cast lead over 8 grn. of Trail Boss and large pistol primer, in my 30 wcf for plinkin. Was a dang good way ta get the Youngun's started with the centerfire's .Not loud hardly no noise ,justa pop.......Dusty

In an 1851 Navy .38 Long Colt conversion cylinder??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ??? :o

dusty texian

Naw Doug.That's why I said off topic a bit. In a 94 winchester.But I recon you new that,at leaste I hope ya did........Dusty

Doug.38PR

LOL!  I figured you must have mean't SOMETHING ELSE but I missed that Winchester 30-30 abbreviation.

On another note, I just loaded some of those same rounds in my snub nose Colt Detective Special and they DO have quite a POP in it.  That long barrel of the 1851 Navy REALLY makes a difference in noise level.  I took my ear plugs out for one pop and my ear was pinched hard inside and ringing

Graveyard Jack

Be a good load for knocking over rabbits in the brush! Oh the joys of rabbit hunting with a good sixgun (sigh).
SASS #81,827

pony express

Doeg, does your '51 have a re-lined barrel? If you're shooting .357 bullets in a .375 barrel, lack of pressure buildup behind the undersize bullet might cause a difference in sound, as well as velocity. might explain why there's such a difference when you shoot them in your Detective Special.

Doug.38PR

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Quote from: pony express on May 12, 2013, 08:46:06 PM
Doeg, does your '51 have a re-lined barrel? If you're shooting .357 bullets in a .375 barrel, lack of pressure buildup behind the undersize bullet might cause a difference in sound, as well as velocity. might explain why there's such a difference when you shoot them in your Detective Special.

If your revolver is an Uberti sold as a factory conversion and is marked for both .38 long Colt and .38 Special, the groove diameter will be .358+-.  If it was an after-market conversion, it could be either.  One hint is whether the cylinder is bored straight through, or can you see a definite necked portion?

If the barrel is unlined and remains .375, all is not lost.  Plan A is to reload with hollow-base bullets.  Plan B is more complicated, requiring heel-base bullets and possibly some different loading techniques.

Before you go there, slug the barrel to verify groove diameter.  Its easy, just lube up a .375 roundball with a few drops of motor oil and drive it through the barrel with a brass rod.  Your cheap $10 Harbor freight calipers will quickly give you the answer.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

FriscoCounty

While heeled boolits are a bit more involved, they certainly make up for it with the cool factor. I have no problems with any knock downs.

I use NEI's 171 grain heeled bullet, a case full of BP, and the excellent instructions and shell holder from Hoof Hearted to do my loading.  I use a standard .375 sizing die with the  NEI mold as it is a flat not pointed nose.  If you are using one of heeled bullets with a round/pointed nose, I recommend getting HH's sizing die as it has been contoured for nose down insertion.

Have a look here: http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=41633.0 and http://www.cartridgeconversion.com/

NRA Life Benefactor, CRPA Life, SASS Life 83712, RO I, Hiram Ranger 48, Coyote Valley Sharpshooters, Coyote Valley Cowboys, SASS TG

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com