Chat With Goex

Started by Blackpowder Burn, May 06, 2013, 06:39:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackpowder Burn

I just got a case of the new Goex Olde Eynsford powder to try.  Then this weekend I went to the NRA convention and got to speak with the Goex folks there.  They say their goal was to produce a powder that would deliver the same velocity as Swiss for an equal charge, and feel they have achieved it.  I can't wait to try it out.  If it performs as they say it'll be a real winner - and much cheaper than Swiss.

SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Cliff Fendley

Sounds good, I'd like to try it.

Let us know the results.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Ranch 13

It is definetly as fast or faster than Swiss, it also shoots much cleaner and leaves a softer fouling than Swiss. Some have reported excellent accuracy with it, and some nothing spectacular yet...
Will be interesting to see how this stuff pans out over this shooting season. They are in the process of shipping the second batch any day now. I believe it'll be around at least this year, most likely future availability is going to depend on shooter response and feed back.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

john boy

QuoteThey say their goal was to produce a powder that would deliver the same velocity as Swiss for an equal charge, and feel they have achieved it.
BB, they lied to you.
Consistent scale weight of 75grs Swiss FFFg for a 45-90 - 20 reloads.  Without moving the setting on the powder charger - only 68.5gr of Olde E' FFFg scale weight.  Therefore. 6.5grs more grains of Olde E' is needed to equal same charge of Swiss FFFg
Is 8.7% lighter

Those serious BPCR shooters that have been testing Olde' E have found the velocities comparable to KIK and Swiss with the Olde E' FFFg to be faster.  Why?
FFFg
10 mesh - Zero
20 mesh - 8.07% Hold
30 mesh - 44.72% Hold
40 mesh - 32.29% Hold
50 mesh - 13.66% Hold ...!   ;)
60 mesh - 1.24% Hold ....! ;) ;)
80 mesh - Trace passed
Total - 99.98%

I'll have my chance to see how good Olde E' is.  Going to Ridgway for a week with comparable charges for 38-55, 38-72, 40-65, 45-70 and 45-90 reloads of Swiss and Kik
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Ranch 13

I haven't shot any of the 3f Eynsford, and probably won't. From what the 2 shooters I know that have shot the stuff have reported back I think it's entirely to fast to be of much practical use, save for maybe turning a 31-36 cab and ball gun into something to reckon with.

Pettifogger

Quote from: john boy on May 06, 2013, 01:09:33 PM
BB, they lied to you.
Consistent scale weight of 75grs Swiss FFFg for a 45-90 - 20 reloads.  Without moving the setting on the powder charger - only 68.5gr of Olde E' FFFg scale weight.  Therefore. 6.5grs more grains of Olde E' is needed to equal same charge of Swiss FFFg
Is 8.7% lighter

Those serious BPCR shooters that have been testing Olde' E have found the velocities comparable to KIK and Swiss with the Olde E' FFFg to be faster.  Why?
FFFg
10 mesh - Zero
20 mesh - 8.07% Hold
30 mesh - 44.72% Hold
40 mesh - 32.29% Hold
50 mesh - 13.66% Hold ...!   ;)
60 mesh - 1.24% Hold ....! ;) ;)
80 mesh - Trace passed
Total - 99.98%

I'll have my chance to see how good Olde E' is.  Going to Ridgway for a week with comparable charges for 38-55, 38-72, 40-65, 45-70 and 45-90 reloads of Swiss and Kik

Yes, but one of the cardinal rules of BP loading is case volume.  It doesn't matter in most situations if one BP weighs 60 grains and another brand with an equal volume weighs 55.  They both still take up the same amount of space in the shell.

Ranch 13

By volume the Olde Eynsford is lighter than other powders, but velocity is as high or higher.

Cemetery

What's the 'boom' factor with full house loads?

Does it 'boom', 'BOOM', or 'BBOOOOMM'?

Does it set off car alarms?  Communicate with Elephants thousands of miles away?

Will it give you a deeper sense of purpose, and a satisfying feel after a days match?

??? ??? ???
God forgives, I don't........

Blackpowder Burn

The Goex rep commented that they plan to run Olde E batches twice per year.

I have a little Express left, and am going to load equal volumes of Olde E and Swiss with my established Express loads and compare them all at the range with Ye Olde Chronograph.  It should be an enlightening and enjoyable experiment.

FWIW, the rep also commented that Express never was well accepted.  They felt like it got a bad reputation because it was released about the same time as a batch of Cartridge that was made with a bad batch of charcoal and they got tarred with the same brush.  I'm sure there's lot's of opinions on that, and the obvious question is why isn't there some type of QC test on the major components before manufacture.  Just thought the comment was interesting.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Ranch 13

You'll find the 2f Eynsford to be faster than the Express and every bit the equal of Swiss if not a little faster. It will also pleasantly surprise you in the fouling dept.
I don't know why they would say Express wasn't excepted, I mean cripes it only set a couple of world records, and had a ton of Swiss shooters leaving and going over to it. When they dropped it the remaining stocks were snatched up within days. They did get off on a wrong foot with it, there first release it was priced higher than Swiss.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com