Another Spencer pic

Started by Jbar4Ranch, May 04, 2013, 09:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbar4Ranch

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

I think that is a Horetsky photograph,  I am out for a bit but will check.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

RattlesnakeJack

Quote from: Sir Charles deMouton-Black on May 04, 2013, 10:14:13 AMI think that is a Horetsky photograph ....

It is, indeed, Sir Charles ..... this is the full photo -

Detail of the chap with the Spencer -

Another detail, confirming the identity of the photographer -

I believe that Spencer is one of the Spencer rifles and carbines acquired by Canada (and/or by Britain for the use of Canada) in 1866 for issue to Canadian Militia during the Fenian Raids.  Once the tens of thousands of newly converted Snider-Enfield rifles arrived from Britain in 1867 (and were issued re-arm the Militia by the end of that year) the Spencers were withdrawn.  However, a number of them were issued to the Scout Corps composed almost entirely of Metis plainsmen which was formed for service with the British Boundary Commission survey (and also other survey parties as evidenced by the Horetsky image.)

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Two Flints

Gentlemen,

Thank you indeed for the thread and photos!

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

RattlesnakeJack

Speaking of the Model 1865 Spencer firearms acquired in 1866 for issue to Canadian Militia during the Fenian Raids, it is interesting that of the estimated total production of only about 3,000 rifle-configuration Model 1865's (i.e. as opposed to carbines) no less than 2,000 of them went to Canada!  Canada itself purchased 1,300 carbines, while Britain paid for another 1,000 carbines and 2,000 rifles for the use of the Canadian Militia, all of them being subsequently transferred outright to Canada in 1870.

The Toronto-based Queen's Own Rifles of Canada were one unit issued with Spencer rifles for a relatively short time. (For reasons of logistical consistency, all of the Peabody, Spencer and Starr breech-loaders hastily acquired in 1866-67 were withdrawn from service fairly quickly, and replaced with .577 Snider-Enfield rifles obtained from Britain in 1867.)  I have posted this image elsewhere, I believe, but here is a studio portrait of a QOR Rifleman with Spencer rifle -

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com