Spencer Small Carbine?

Started by FreddyC, May 02, 2013, 12:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreddyC

I purchased a reprint of a 1866 Spencer Repeating Arms catalog on ebay. On the first page is a drawing of the Navy, Army Rifle, Large Carbine, Small Carbine and Sporting Rifle. Did the Small Carbine every go into production? I searched here before I posted to make sure this wasn't a common question and didn't find anything. It's really cool and would love to know more about it. Any info as to it's existance or rarity would be appreciated.

major

Can you post a picture of that page?  I would like to see it.
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

FreddyC

It's right there, click the link

I eliminated the link and added the photo that the link would have brought you to in the first place!

Two Flints ;) ;)

Trailrider

Marcot's book gives only limited attention to the small-frame carbines, and doesn't discuss the number produced. From the serial numbers shown, it would appear at least 16 of them were manufactured. Beyond that, the book mainly covers the military guns, and the post-CW arms, including the Roper shotguns.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Herbert

The picture in on the cover of the catalog is of the mid-sized military-style Spencer Carbine (just slitly larger than the early small frame Spencers)chamberd for 44 long rimfire(aparently interchangable with the 44 Henry in the Spencer carbine,probley not in the Henry)This was a expermental rifle made in 1864 and not put into production,but from the catloge the intention was there.As far as I can find out there is only 1 of these carbines in existance,it is in the Buffalow Bill Historical Center

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com