1911 ????

Started by Coffinmaker, April 23, 2013, 10:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coffinmaker

OK, I've played with FCGF off and on.  Just set up my own personal set of Cap Guns (set lots up for "others") and started wondering .....
Anybody had any success running a 1911 on BP??  Should be a treat to have a cloud of smoke out in front of a 1911.   :o

Coffinmaker

Slowhand Bob

Never done it BUT have seen several posts in the past claiming it was do-able.  I have far to many revolvers that were designed around black powder to feel a need to dirty up the auto loaders.  It is similar to the way I felt about STAR WARS, in a generation of light blasters why would a few guys run around with light sabers??

G W Wade

guys at ispc match drtopped bp 45acp round in guys ammo bag as joke!  did not work but the look on his face was priceless.in my understanding does not work generally.seems pressure curve is wrong.probaly not any real help buit just the idle thoughts of an idle fellow.   keep it real   GW      PS same guys like to drop bp shotgun shell in grab box at cowboy matches too.   bp shell inplace of ww featherlite real surprise
the smell of gunpowder in the morning

August

Like Bob said, several guys have reported doing this with success.  Do a Google search.  You'll get several hits. 

Note that most WB guys have their guns set up with lighter springs since a 150 PF load is a couple of notches below hardball in intensity.

wildman1

If I remember correctly an 11 lb spring in a 1911 will run jest fine with BP. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Dick Dastardly

There is a fine Big Lube®LLC bullet that works great in 1911s.  It's the DD/PUK-ROA Flat.  I know this because my good friend has been shooting them out of his 1911s.  So, if you want a bullet for your 1911 that hauls plenty of lube, there is one available.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

litl rooster

Quote from: wildman1 on April 24, 2013, 09:21:00 AM
If I remember correctly an 11 lb spring in a 1911 will run jest fine with BP. WM

ditto
Mathew 5.9

Cemetery

]
Quote from: Coffinmaker on April 23, 2013, 10:13:22 PM
OK, I've played with FCGF off and on.  Just set up my own personal set of Cap Guns (set lots up for "others") and started wondering .....
Anybody had any success running a 1911 on BP??  Should be a treat to have a cloud of smoke out in front of a 1911.   :o

Coffinmaker

God forgives, I don't........

Coffinmaker

Lordy!!!!!  Gotta love it ;D

Coffinmaker

Blackpowder Burn

I've done it successfully with the DD/PUK/ROAII bullet with 17 grains by weight FFFg powder.  I used a standard Springfield MilSpec 1911 with no modifications.  I once fired a 100 shot string with zero malfunctions.

I did it once at a Wild Bunch Match at a major state meet in Texas.  Nothing in the rules says you can't and I surprised a lot of folks!!  ;D
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Dick Dastardly

Experience here in Southern Wisconsin has shown that the 1911s run great on Black Powder and DD/PUK/ROAII Flat bullets.  Pukin Dog and I ran a test and the results were very positive.  No need to clean to maintain accuracy or function.  This is typical of Big Lube bullets and black powder.

This same bullet does very well in C&B guns, 45 Cal rifles (including my 45-70 Rem roller), Cowboy 45 Special, 45 Schofield and 45 Colt cartridge guns.  This is one 45 Cal bullet that does all the jobs for 45 Cal Cowboy Action.  And, yes, it also does very with heathen fad smokeyless powders.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

fourfingersofdeath

day-uuum! Give me a link to YouTube shooting video and I'm like a hypnotised rooster stuck in front of the screen watching videos.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Four Eyes Henry

DWSA #102
SASS  #16042
BDS    #2197

He will come to your house carrying a sixpack of goodwill and joy. The Reverend Horton Heat

http://www.youtube.com/user/foureyeshenry1

springfield

Works for me. I run the stock spring and a 260 grain bullet, Lyman 52374.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c262/mwhyte123/BPWB.jpg

litl rooster

Quote from: springfield on May 16, 2013, 05:42:11 PM
Works for me. I run the stock spring and a 260 grain bullet, Lyman 52374.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c262/mwhyte123/BPWB.jpg

Slim, what did you do, start over here again?
Mathew 5.9

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com