Interesting

Started by Noz, April 16, 2013, 04:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noz

I'm pretty casual about cleaning up brass. I had 50 rounds or so from 2 weeks ago and some short of 200 from LandRun last weekend.
I had de-primed the 50 so I threw them into the Thumlers with ceramic media and some commercial brass cleaner I had on hand. Since it was late, I started the tumbler and let it run all night. Had something else to do this morning so I forgot the tumbler and it ran for about 20 hours. I dumped out some really nicely cleaned and shined brass. De-primed the Landrun batch but had used the last of the commercial cleaner yesterday. The only thing I had on the bench was Windex. 1/4 cup of windex 200 44-40 cases and started her up. It had been running for about 2 hours when I uncovered a bag of about 50 rounds from probably March. I stopped the tumbler to add the quickly de-primed really cruddy stuff with the intent of letting it run over night again.
To my surprise, the brass that had been tumbling for a short time in the windex solution was indistinguishable from the brass that had run all night.  Took it out and started the dirty stuff again.
Never used Windex before but think I'll buy my own bottle. Worked extremely well.

hellgate

Windex blue (ammonia?) or Windex green (vinegar)?
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Blackpowder Burn

I shoot BP and use a Thumlers with stainless steel pins and a squirt of dish detergent.  They look literally new after a few hours.

A friend brought me about 500 38 spl brass shot with BP that lay forgotten about 4 years - shot before Hurricane Ike and buried in a barn the hurricane demolished.  He was going to toss them out but I suggested we try to clean them.  Again, after about 4 hours they looked brand new.  Maybe 2% or so of them had a few faint stains left on the brass.  Unbelievable.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Noz

Slowhand Bob

A side note, I was recently surfing around U-Tube and found something by one of the Three Gun outfits.  Imagine SASS on steroids and then through in the need to clean brass for a team of shooters.  The guy was tumbling brass in an old cement mixer! He also had a unique way for large scale sorting also, home made frames using hardware mesh.  Might also work for those who buy up brass after a SASS three day lost brass match, no?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com