The works of a greenhorn

Started by Graveyard Jack, April 14, 2013, 07:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graveyard Jack

Thank you all very much for the kind words.

I don't do anything deliberately but somehow all my work come out looking old. Which is alright with me.  ;D
SASS #81,827

Tallbald

Those are absolutely beautiful. Don

Bruce W Sims

The leatherwork is stunning! I'm looking for a cross-draw holster for my own Dragoon and
have a question about the design.
a.) Seems like I see a lot of what seem like Slim Jim holsters albeit with loops. In the design of
a holster, what function are the loops for and what decides when they are used?
b.) For a cross draw holster of the size needed for a Dragoon, how would the holster be attached to
the belt?  Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

dwight55

As others have said, . . . excellent work.

I personally like being able to find some minor imperfection in a piece of "handmade" work, . . . that is when I can be sure it is indeed hand made. 

The stuff that has 3000 perfect stitches, . . . exact same length, . . . none "wavering", . . . all stamping that is ever so "perfect", . . . and on and on:  it makes me think it was machine made. 

While I don't see any blaring noticeable imperfections, . . . you may know where the little ones are, . . . and that makes us all a bit better as craftsmen.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you can breathe:  thank God

If you can read:  thank a teacher

If you can read this in English:  thank a Veteran

KidTerico

Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

Graveyard Jack

Thanks again for the kind words, it is truly humbling. It's been an interesting two years or so since I made that first Dragoon holster. Things have progressed and my shop is better equipped. Actually I have a new shop we built over the last 8months. I've started piddling with carving and am procuring more stamps for that purpose. I try to be unafraid of trying new things. Just this week I'm finishing my first two flap holsters and have conquered my first sewn toe plug on the first try. I still need to get with Chuck on doing a beaded knife sheath.

Bruce, what are the loops you speak of? Do you mean cartridge loops sewn onto the holster? Like El Paso's John Wesley Hardin holster?

I make a belt loop for the Dragoon holster like any other. It's wide and well attached and rides a little higher than normal but nothing unusual. What it really needs is a wide, heavy belt for proper support.

Dwight, oh I definitely see the flaws in my work. My eyes are instantly drawn to them. I try my best to minimize them but I do realize that it's the hallmark of a hand work. And all my work is done by hand, except for using the bench sander to smooth my seams. I pay particular attention to my stamping and stitchwork.

Some of the more memorable projects from the last year:

Johnny Ringo...

Flames of Hell...

Dodge City (holster and belt not same color)...

Still very proud of what was only the 2nd rig made for a customer...
SASS #81,827

Dan Gerous

Really, REALLY nice. I know what you mean about seeing all your mistakes. I'm my own worst critic. Just remember what I told my wife when she asked if I was pleased with my last project. "No, I'm not pleased because I can see all my mistakes, but I'm proud of it because I did it my self."
All growed up and still playin' Cowboy!

Marshal Will Wingam

Beautiful work, Craig. I like the Dodge City especially. Very nice work on all of them.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Skeeter Lewis

Authentic-looking work, Craig. Well done.
If Chuck likes it, you're doing something right.
Skeet

St8LineLeatherSmith

Nice leather Craig
AS Skeeter said very authentic to the original
No matter where ya go there ya are
Society Of Remington Revolver Shooters (SCORRS)
Brother Artisan Master At Large Of TEH BROTHERHOOD OF TEH SUBLYME  & HOLEY ORDER OF TEH SOOT, (SHOTS)
The St8 Line Leathersmith
ChattownLeatherheads

Graveyard Jack

SASS #81,827

ChuckBurrows

Craig - got your email and will try to give a shout back later today or for sure tomorrow - and you know what I think of your work  ;D  as others have noted you have the talent the rest is just doing it....
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

ChuckBurrows

Quote from: Skeeter Lewis on August 11, 2014, 08:24:52 AM
Authentic-looking work, Craig. Well done.
If Chuck likes it, you're doing something right.
Skeet
thanks for the 'vote' of confidence and yep I think well enough of Craig's work to recommend him to potential customers.
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Graveyard Jack

Y'all are making me blush!

Look forward to your response.  ;D
SASS #81,827

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com