Re-Inventing the Wheel ....... NOT

Started by Coffinmaker, April 11, 2013, 12:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coffinmaker

Hey All!!!
Saturdays match was a complete success.  My brandy new all Brass 12 Gage worked a treat.  All went BOOM and made lots of smoke.  I think I even hit some targets.  We were shooting under a cover, in the rain with no wind.  The smoke just hung in front of us.  With solid "hit or miss" targets instead of knockdowns, we couldn't reliabily gage hits.
Lesson learned - CCI primers are as useless in 12 Gage brass as other CAS ammo.
BP all brass shotgun is FUN!!

Coffinmaker

Mean Bob Mean

"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Yakima Red

Quote from: Coffinmaker on May 12, 2013, 09:41:29 PM
Hey All!!!
Saturdays match was a complete success.  My brandy new all Brass 12 Gage worked a treat.  All went BOOM and made lots of smoke.  I think I even hit some targets.  We were shooting under a cover, in the rain with no wind.  The smoke just hung in front of us.  With solid "hit or miss" targets instead of knockdowns, we couldn't reliabily gage hits.

Coffinmaker
Excellent! Very satisfying when a plan comes together. As for primers, My "go to's" are Winchesters. CCI's have never failed for me. No mind, use what works for you.
Good shooting!
Director, Colters Hell Justice Committee WSAS.
Wyoming Single Action Shooters.
SASS, NCOWS, NRA Life Endowment.
Certified NRA Firearms Instructor.
2008 NRA Wyoming volunteer of the year.
Creator of miracles.
"Let us then...under God, trust our cause to our swords. ~Samuel Adams

Lefty Dude

In my Brasser's I use CCI LP Mag primers. They give lots of spark.

Coffinmaker

Lefty,

My TTN doesn't like CCI primers at all.  I'll stick with Federal Mag primers  ;D

Coffinmaker

Lefty Dude

Yes, i understand. The CCI Primers are the hardest of them all. I have an 8 mm mauser that I shoot cast bullets, and the stiff bolt firing pin of this piece has a hard time setting of the CCI's. I use Federal's for all my Rifle loading.

My SXS double has no problem lighting off the Brasser's with the CCI mag's.

wildman1

Quote from: Coffinmaker on May 12, 2013, 09:41:29 PM
Hey All!!!

Coffinmaker
Where did ya shoot Saturday? WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Coffinmaker

WM1

Hollidaysburg Pennsylvania.  Quack,  Quack,   Quack :-(

Mean Bob Mean

Quote from: Lefty Dude on May 15, 2013, 12:26:15 AM
Yes, i understand. The CCI Primers are the hardest of them all. I have an 8 mm mauser that I shoot cast bullets, and the stiff bolt firing pin of this piece has a hard time setting of the CCI's. I use Federal's for all my Rifle loading.

My SXS double has no problem lighting off the Brasser's with the CCI mag's.

Do all TTN shotguns have an issue setting off CCi primers? 

Bob
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Coffinmaker

Well .... Yes ....  and No .... or maybe  :P.  The early TTNs had main springs better suited to the back of a RAM pick up.  Then, because we All sniveled, TTN had the Chinese manufacturer substitute lighter main springs.  The TTN has rebounding hammers and firing pin return springs.
The main spring is also the rebound spring.  So the main spring has to overcome itself and then the firing pin return spring to achieve ignition.
So.  The result.  The TTN  I was shooting does not like CCI in the left barrel.  Yours may not lie CCI in the right barrel.  Or both.  Or neither.  Is is the proverbial crap shoot.  I tried CCIs just because I have a bunch and wanted to get rid of some.  Look at the TTN springs as having been "tuned" like our other gun springs and probably will not lie CCI.  If yo wear eye protection, they (CCI) ca be real entertaining on an anvil with a ball peen hammer  :o
I do have a substitute anvil though.  An unmodified 1911.  I swear the hammer spring in that .45 would be better served in the suspension of a Sherman Tank. :P

Coffinmaker

Mean Bob Mean

Quote from: Coffinmaker on May 15, 2013, 09:51:01 PM
TTN had the Chinese manufacturer substitute lighter main springs. 

Coffinmaker

Thanks Brother.  So looks like if I bought a new one, I might start with a different primer.

Mucho Gracias
- Cole Younger

Pulp

I discovered on my last batch of brass 12 gauge that Elmer's wouldn't stick to the side of the hull.  I had a box full of empty shells and a bunch of shot.  I was using 10 gauge overshot cards.  So, I got to wondering if I used more than one card.  Settled on three.  With no glue I can turn a loaded shell upside down and rap it on the table pretty hard and everything stays in place.  Not sure if it will effect the pattern or not, haven't had time to get to the range.

I was using lubed fiber wads, maybe the lube kept the Elmer's from sticking.

BTW, the MagTech shells are too long to work in my '87 lever action, unless I single load.
2004  Badlands Bar 3 Four States Champion, Frontiersman
(I was the only one there)

WWCAS (World's Worst Cowboy Action Shooter)

Coffinmaker

More fun stuff:

My Magtec cases haven't required resizing, just stuff 'em and go.
If you have a Drill Press, you have a nifty single stage loading press.  Retract the jaws.
It actually helps to have a loading block.  Made one from a chunk of Maple I had laying around.
If you take a short cut by using your sweete's vacume to suck up all the wood chips from making the block, rather than getting your shop vac,
and you forget to clean it out before she tries to use it, LEARN TO COOK.  Don't ask how I know this :-)
The little plastic bowl you dip your shot out of, MUST have a lid.  Don't ask how I know this either.  :-(

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com