Author Topic: Live Fire Practice  (Read 5769 times)

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Live Fire Practice
« on: October 06, 2005, 01:08:12 PM »
When doing live fire practice at a range that doesn't allow you to shoot at metal targets what kind of targets do you prefer and how do you set them up?
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Micheal Fortune

• Top Active Citizen
    • Micheal Fortune
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Live Fire Practice
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 02:34:52 PM »
Paper plates, cheap, easy to find, easy to staple on the back board.

If you got the room I do 4-5 and irregular heights and spacing with two, one above the other at the end, dumping stations I call them.
Saloon Keeper, Gambler, Shootist
Sun River Rangers Shooting Society / SASS 60159 / R.O.-1 / SBSS 1685 / G.O.F.W.G. 89 / RATS 58 / KGC 4 /

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 04:49:31 PM »
Yup, paper plates.  They work well and are cheap enough to keep a good supply of.  Mix of elevations and distances to keep it interesting and challenging.  Keep your practice sessions focused on one or two things that you are working on. 

Have fun!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:30:01 PM »

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 07:08:38 PM »
Paper plates are what we have been using and they work good.

Anybody else?
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Boon

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 07:27:14 PM »
I am probably not one that should be saying anything. I have not been to any shoots as yet. I am very new and just learning. I do have a Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag and loaded them shell perty light. I went for my very first practice at the range and took 6 one gallon plastic milk jugs. they worked great.
PWDFR #142...RATS #222

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 08:38:23 PM »
Milk jugs sound like fun Boon!

Welcome to CAS and get yourself to a match quick.  You'll wonder why you waited so long.  :D
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Boon

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 08:55:26 PM »
I would love to Camille but they had there last shoot two weeks ago and I had to work. They told me no more shoots till April of next year. Least I m a learnin something in here and I can go out and practice till then.  I got me a 44 mag Ruger Blackhawk and just purchased a .45 Colt. Only rifle I have is a 1896  30-40 Craig Springfield armery.

The milk jugs fer shootin are a kick...they fly in the air when hit just right...er yu can puts some water in em and they kinda blow up some.

Shoot Straight and God Bless

Milk jugs sound like fun Boon!

Welcome to CAS and get yourself to a match quick.  You'll wonder why you waited so long.  :D
PWDFR #142...RATS #222

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 12:28:26 PM »
They told me no more shoots till April of next year.

:(  that would be a bummer. 

Look here for some tips on getting practicing for your first match.  http://www.kimandbarrymckenzie.com/Dig%20Em%20Deeps%20Hints%20and%20Tricks/DigEms10Points.htm
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 02:15:09 PM »
Cammy, here's one of my favorite paper target drills.  This came from chapter 3 of my book "Breaking the Shot."

• Set up a piece of cardboard or, better yet, an IPSC target and place it seven yards down range.
• Using a can of spray paint (black if you have it), paint six pairs of dots. These pairs should be
about four inches apart (up and down) and 12 inches apart (left and right), for a total of twelve,
3" dots. The cap of the spray is the right size.
• Standing at the firing line, get your natural stance (eyes closed hands out-stretched as if you
were pointing your pistol). Close your eyes again, lower your head and clear your mind. Take a
couple of deep breaths. Let the muscles in your stomach relax and let your shoulders hunch
forward. I know it looks a little silly, but the idea is to concentrate solely on what you are about
to do and become aware of how well you are performing the basics. By reaching a relaxed
state, you will be more apt to be in tune with your visual and physical awareness and therefore
will be able to self-evaluate what you are doing right and what you are doing wrong.
• Clip your timer to your belt and set it for delay. Load your revolvers with SIX rounds each.

At the beep, draw your strong side gun and fire one round at “T-1” (T-1 is the first dot at the top
left-hand side of the pairing). Holster. Repeat this step five more times for a total of six rounds
fired.
2. At the beep, draw your WEAK side gun and fire one round at “T-2” (T-2 is the dot on the top
right-hand side of the pairing). Holster. Repeat this step five more times for a total of six rounds.
3. At the beep, draw your strong side gun and fire two rounds at “T-3” (second row from the top,
left-hand dot). Holster. Repeat two more times for a total of six rounds.
4. At the beep, draw your WEAK side gun and fire two rounds at “T-4” (second row from the top,
right hand dot). Holster. Repeat two more times for a total of six rounds.
5. At the beep, draw your strong side gun and fire one round at “T-5” and one round at “T-6”
(third row from the top, both dots). Holster. Repeat this two more times for a total of six rounds.
6. At the beep, draw your WEAK side gun and fire one round at “T-5” and one round at “T-6”.
Holster. Repeat this two more times for a total of six rounds.
7. At the beep, draw your strong side gun and fire three rounds at “T-7” and three rounds at “T-8”
(fourth row from the top both dots) for a total of six rounds.
8. At the beep, draw your WEAK side gun and fire three rounds at “T-7” and three rounds at “T-
8” for a total of six rounds.
9. Transition: At the beep, draw your right hand gun and fire one round at “T-9” (fifth row, left
hand dot), holster, draw your weak side gun and fire one round on “T-10” (fifth row, right hand
dot). Holster. Repeat this five more times for a total of twelve rounds.
10. At the beep, draw your strong side gun and fire FIVE rounds at “T-11” (bottom left hand dot).
11. At the beep, draw your WEAK side gun and fire FIVE rounds at “T-12” (bottom right hand
dot).

Ok, so what does this drill teach?
The goal of this exercise is to put all the rounds in the circle or in the dot. In order to do this, you
must use all the basics of shooting. You might get lucky part of the time, but to complete this drill
without any misses requires concentration on all aspects of shooting. The time it takes to fire any part
of this drill is unimportant. Don’t even look at the times on the timer. The timer is nothing but a start
signal.
Steps 1-8: Work on all the aspects of shooting: stance, grip, trigger control, sight alignment and
sight picture. For example, if you get a bad grip, you may be able to hit the target with one round as in
steps 1 and 2 but, a with a bad grip you will not perform multiple shots as in Steps 3-8.
Step 9: Practice your transition. Again, it’s not important how fast you can move from one pistol to
another, instead concentrate on smooth. In the beginning, you will want to look at your holster in order
to make sure you are getting the gun into the holster before you let go of the gun. But with practice, you
should be able to do this without looking.
Steps 10 and 11: Get used to following the front sight as it moves up under recoil and then back
down into the rear sight notch. You will notice that in these steps only five rounds are used. This is
because you don’t want to get into a habit of shooting more than five rounds in a string of fire which is
the legal round count in any pistol in SASS matches.
This drill sets up the rest of the practice session. You will know if you are going to have a good day
or a bad day when you finish. If you are having a bad day, take the opportunity to go back and focus on
the basics and fundamentals. It is inevitable that you will get to a match and not be shooting well.
Practicing under these conditions will give you more confidence when it comes to pass.
If you are an accomplished shooter then continuing to practice on a really bad day can damage your
confidence and perhaps generate some bad habits that you will have to deal with later (be honest with
yourself—you might be better served staying and practicing this drill). If it’s a good day, then it’s an
opportunity to push your limits.

Offline Boon

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 07:14:17 PM »
They told me no more shoots till April of next year.

:(  that would be a bummer. 

Look here for some tips on getting practicing for your first match.  http://www.kimandbarrymckenzie.com/Dig%20Em%20Deeps%20Hints%20and%20Tricks/DigEms10Points.htm

Thanks Camille I really appreciate yur help

Doc  I coppied yur post. I think it will help me out alot also....thanks  pard
PWDFR #142...RATS #222

Offline Trapdoor Billy

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2005, 08:01:40 AM »
Trapdoor Billy
Indian Scout and Delaware Cowboy

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2005, 06:14:54 PM »
SOmething that I don't do enough of Billy :D

Oh and thanks Doc!
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Speed Junky
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2005, 06:41:58 PM »
• Standing at the firing line, get your natural stance (eyes closed hands out-stretched as if you
were pointing your pistol). Close your eyes again, lower your head and clear your mind. Take a
couple of deep breaths. Let the muscles in your stomach relax and let your shoulders hunch
forward. I know it looks a little silly, but the idea is to concentrate solely on what you are about
to do and become aware of how well you are performing the basics. By reaching a relaxed
state, you will be more apt to be in tune with your visual and physical awareness and therefore
will be able to self-evaluate what you are doing right and what you are doing wrong.

Doc,
Kinda funny to read this:  exactly what the dept range master used to refer to as my "zen-buddha" routine when getting ready to qualify or compete.  Call it what you want.  It works!  I generally shot perfect scores with my duty guns.  Do it sometimes when competing "cowboy", but generally don't nowadays as I'm just out to have a good time anymore.  But, I highly recommend the concentration effort to everyone else, as lots of folks enjoy their day better if they shoot well.
And yep, paper plates are "de riguer" for practicing unless you got yer own range and can make yer own rules.
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Patron

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2005, 07:01:03 PM »
You're welcome Cammy! 

That drill is adapted from an old IPSC drill.  And it works great. 

Another thing I like to do with paper is to set up a steel challenge stage and work on it.  Pendulum, 5 to Go, and Speed Option are great stages to do this with.  Shoot it with your cowboy guns with the goal of hitting the targets each with 1 shot.  In other words, don't miss!  The 10 inch targets at 18 yards are tough.

Here is a link to the Steel Challenge stages: http://www.isishootists.com/steelchallenge/2004/stages.htm

Derby Younger

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2005, 07:32:14 PM »
Here's a target that might be of interest. Overall size is 22"x36". If anybody needs the exact size of the targets let me know, one sitting beside me now.

Derby

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com