Slix shot nipples and #11 CCI

Started by Capt. JEB Forrest, April 07, 2013, 08:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. JEB Forrest

Anyone use the combo?

I was reading the marketing for the nipples and notice it says for #10 Remington or # 11 CCI.

Like most here # 10 Remingtons have been the standard and what I normally use. However, around here the CCI are about 3.00 a tin cheaper.

I have one set of the nipples and some #11 CCI I am going to try and was wondering about others experiences with this combo.
Commander Cavalry
Department of the Atlantic

Lucky R. K.

Hey Capt. Jeb

It is my understanding that both #10 and #11 Remington and CCI caps are the same diameter but the #11caps are a bit longer.  I do not have any experience with Slickshot nipples.  I have been using Tresso's for some time with #11 CCI's and I really like the combination.

Hope to see you soon.

Lucky
Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

clehfeldt

I have recently been experimenting with Slix nipples and CCI#11 caps, great fit!
Carlos
Carlos El Hombre

Fingers McGee

Relative sizes of caps:

My experience when first trying out the Slix Shots was that the #10 Remingtons stayed on the nipple better after firing; but the Remington 11s and CCI 11s worked just as well, fragmenting only slightly more.

There is an extensive thread about slick shots under this thread title: The new Cones, Slix-Shot Nipples
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Roshi

I have had no problems with Remington # 11 and SlixShot on my 51 Navy.

Lefty Dude

I have both 1851 & 1860 Pietta's I use in CAS/SASS competition. All cylinders have the Slix-Shot nipples. I used Remmy #11, because I was using them with the 51 cylinders that had Treso nipples, prior to the offering of Slix-shots.

I now use Remington #10's as my cap of choice. The skirts are longer and tend to stay on after firing longer than # 11's.

Remington # 11 will function fine, however # 10 are better. ;)

Coffinmaker

When you get your Slixshot cones out of the bag, be sure to run a 7/64 drill down the burn chamber to take the drill swarf off the inside of the pressure relief holes.  I doubt it's big enough to hurt anything, I just don't like burrs anywhere.

Coffinmaker

john boy

OK Gents - true confession time ...
* After 5 years having a pair of Pietta  51 Colts, the engraved US Marshal's sitting in the safe, I installed the Slix nipples.  This last week end, loaded them and shot a match with them.  Found the #11 Remington and CCI caps worked flawlessly and had a real fun time throwing 141gr RB's down range.  With 35gr of FFFg they even had no issues knocking down rack plates.

The POI on these is 25yds dead on so aimed for the nuts and had no misses.  Truthfully, they were more fun than shooting center fire Colts, even with the R&D cylinders in the NMA's.  Do believe my Ruger's are going to be on vacation for a spell - maybe even an extended vacation

Plus they were passed around quite a bit with responses - Geez, they are nice! ;)
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Fingers McGee

Quote from: john boy on April 17, 2013, 09:18:45 AM
OK Gents - true confession time ...
* After 5 years having a pair of Pietta  51 Colts, the engraved US Marshal's sitting in the safe, I installed the Slix nipples.  This last week end, loaded them and shot a match with them.  Found the #11 Remington and CCI caps worked flawlessly and had a real fun time throwing 141gr RB's down range.  With 35gr of FFFg they even had no issues knocking down rack plates.

The POI on these is 25yds dead on so aimed for the nuts and had no misses.  Truthfully, they were more fun than shooting center fire Colts, even with the R&D cylinders in the NMA's.  Do believe my Ruger's are going to be on vacation for a spell - maybe even an extended vacation

Plus they were passed around quite a bit with responses - Geez, they are nice! ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Another convert. 
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Lefty Dude

Quiet there, Fingers! We have small Frontiersman class numbers in matches we do not want them to get excited as John Boy. Soon we will have C&B  shortages of Caps & Powder.

I enjoy shopping in my favorite Gun Shop and walking out this past Thursday with 2000 Remington # 10 caps in Hand. Oh Yes, and BTW; they had very few Primers, limit of 100 per visit and no Smokless Powder in the shop. However they had lots of APP, T7 and Pyrodex.

Lefty Dude, One who makes lots of Smoke ;)

Fingers McGee

Quote from: Lefty Dude on April 20, 2013, 02:36:28 PM
Quiet there, Fingers! We have small Frontiersman class numbers in matches we do not want them to get excited as John Boy. Soon we will have C&B  shortages of Caps & Powder.

I enjoy shopping in my favorite Gun Shop and walking out this past Thursday with 2000 Remington # 10 caps in Hand. Oh Yes, and BTW; they had very few Primers, limit of 100 per visit and no Smokless Powder in the shop. However they had lots of APP, T7 and Pyrodex.

Lefty Dude, One who makes lots of Smoke ;)

You could be right about new converts limiting supplies; and I've been catching flack for bringing too many new Frontiersmen into the fold expanding the competition base; but, IMNSHO, the more people we can get shooting the one true powder in Colt's, Remingtons, and even R-R-R-Ru-Ru.......I can't even type it .....revolvers, the more people we will educate in the true historical background behind our sport. 

brazosdave

right on fingers!  I got my wife into cap and ball, now she loves to go shooting with me! Bonus!  A lot of people are interested in the historical aspect of these guns, it's not like shooting a glock, that's fer sure!
"I'm your huckleberry, it's just my game"

Lefty Dude

Yes, I also do the historical education of our beloved C&B Revolvers. When I am reloading the 1860's, usually there is a fellow shooter watching me. And they remark at the loading table as I cap the piece,"You make that look so easy". I can usually cap as fast as they load cartridges.

I was in Tucson, AZ. this past Week and Stopped by my favorite Southern Arizona Gun Shop, "Thunderstick Trading Company".

I bought my Yearly supply of Remington number 10 Caps, (2000). :) ;)

john boy

QuoteYou could be right about new converts limiting supplies;
Gentlemen - fret not that this 'convert' is going to be part of stampede draining the well of caps.  Have 1400 #10 & 11's in stock when the price was $2.xx per 100, plus 300 of the 1075 Dynamit Nobel Plus.
BTW, have 6 cap & ball revolvers ;D... a convert  ???
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...

Devote Convert to BPCR

Coffinmaker

Unfortunately, in my neck of the woods, the "Knee Jerk Panic" buyers and "Profiteers" are already at the Cap n Ball stuff.  Went for some caps this past weekend ..... and...... nada.  Plenty of APP though.  The guys back in the gun department related that Fridays (shipment day) are all like "Black Friday" with a bunch of folks lined up at the door waiting for opening.  The same bunch of folks keep cleaning out ALL the pistol ammo, primers and powder.  Not fun.

Coffinmaker

Fingers McGee

Quote from: john boy on April 23, 2013, 08:35:35 PM
BTW, have 6 cap & ball revolvers ;D... a convert  ???

Only six?  That's just barely enough to carry on a raid.

hellgate

"BTW, have 6 cap & ball revolvers"

JB,
I was gonna comment but then let it go til I saw Fingers'. Geeze, you're just getting started. I try to stay between 15 and 20 at any given time. I've owned 37. It's a nice addiction. It also turns you into an amature gunsmith in short order. Think of it like women's shoes or purses: the gals always seem to have an excuse for another one when they already have plenty. Try selling a used pair of shoes or purse. At least a gun is an asset that doesn't lose all of its value when used. Try that one on your wife when she asks why you "need" another revolver. Ask her why she needs so many purses (or shoes).   Then DUCK!!
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Brownie Nash

Well said Hellgate.  You hit the nail right on the head.  I have so many I am not sure where they are all at. I think I loaned out several I never got back.

Brownie

john boy

QuoteThen DUCK!!
Hellgate, have used that line for the Vera Bradley pocket books, tags still on them and boxes of shoes still wrapped with the thin white paper 
  Have to admit she must be getting soft after 45 years of marriage to the lovely Mrs ... I told her I was going to start shooting Wild Bunch and needed to buy a 1911, the Ruger SR1911 - not a word or finch.  Then I told her I needed to practice my semi-auto handgun shooting after I found 1 of 3 available for sale in the US that was not at a scalpers price, the Ruger Mark III Competition model.  Again not a word.  Add the newly acquired fully engraved, fully carved Martini Action Schuetzen rifle for close to 3 grand - again not a word other than - "That's pretty"
  So I keep my mouth shut now with no smart remarks when another shoe box comes in the house!  ;D
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...

Devote Convert to BPCR

hellgate

JB,
I suspect she's thinking of some ulterior purchase you haven't even thought of yet. My breakthrough came when the wife (only wed now for 36 years) was wanting a THIRD(!) sewing machine for her quilting obsession. So I countered with the old "Then don't get all worked up if I occasionally get a new pistol". She wanted that machine so be she'd a promised anything. After that the dam broke and I ended up with all kinds of perCUSSIN' curiosities. It's been a "win/win" situation ever since. Life is good.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com