Anyone in need for bullets to shoot out of their original 56/56 Spencer?

Started by FrontierWest, March 27, 2013, 08:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrontierWest

My Mould came the other day and I cast a bunch up.  Have no idea how much to ask per bullet or per 50 or 100.  If anyone needs and wants some, make an offer.  I'm going to cut some casings for myself soon and go on a trial run and shoot.  My biggest question is what lenght to trim the casings as the bullets are way shorter than on original Spencer 56/56 bullet.  I suppose I cannot go wrong if I make the total length the same as an original?

john

pakm

I just loaded four rounds of 56-50 with pyrodex RS. all I could get in the case was 25 gr';s with a slight compression of the powder.l how are you doing and with what? "O"{ I"m, using the Accurate mold for the 350gr. 512 bullet.
  Pat

FrontierWest

I'm using the MGO Mold I purchased from Michael Owsiak.  It is the .545 dia and I am playing with shortened 50/70casings.  The casing size currently I'm using is 1.025 length and can accept about 40 grains of BP.  I scaled it down as I could not compress the distance I needed to seat the bullet properly.  And.. because I do not have the correct dies for a Spencer, the bullet was squashed during seating.  So, pull the bullet and re-insert a good lubed one.  I may just figure out something that will compress the powder first then seat the bullet and a slight pressure fit.

What I don't like is the large outside grease groove.. collects dirt bad!  I'd much prefer grooves to be hidden in the casing length, but also have to play with the length of my casing too and I think I will finish at 1.15 length.  This will help add powder.

The bullet weighs 375 grains.  I loaded Swiss 1 1/2 F BP.  I could not find any GOEX powder for sale any where here at all.  Nor large rifle primers.  Better stock up while we can.. getting harder to find and lead is even getting harder to locate.

Still playing, but right now my shots are right of center and high.  Will after I re-load a group, will shoot from a bench and see what happens.

john

Jobe Holiday

If you want to have black powder shipped directly to you go to http://www.blackpowderva.com , they are one of the largest bp dealers around, maybe no. 6 in the country.

J.
Life Member: NRA Benefactor, NMLRA, SCA, OMSA, EAF&GC

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com