Manhattan modification?

Started by clehfeldt, March 25, 2013, 07:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clehfeldt

Anybody have pictures of a pistol preferably an 1862 pocket plice with a Manhatten conversion? I would appreciate seeing a few different guns with this done cause it is time to do mine.
Carlos
???
Carlos El Hombre

Pettifogger

Here's a Manhattan conversion on a 51 Navy.  I mill a slot in the breech face, solder in a plate, notch the plate and then thin the hammer.  If you are talking about a Uberti 62 pocket police I have done them but it is a waste of time.  The hammer and channel are smaller but the nipples are the same size.  As a consequence when you scale everything done except the width of the hammer face it isn't worth the time or effort.  You would be better off just welding up the notch in the hammer nose and using quality nipples.  If you are talking about a Pietta Army Police 1862 that is really just a round barrel Navy and looks the same as the 51.

Slowhand Bob

I can not speak from experience but have seen many opinions on the new hi-tech nipple sets.  More than a couple of reports claim that these new nipples supposedly fix those same type of cap jam problems.  You might want to look into that as well.

Lefty Dude

With the new Slix-Shot nipples & filling the hammer safety slot the need for other modication forms are not needed.

I just completed a pair of 60's for CAS/SASS competition. The hammer slots were TIG-weld filled and file dressed, then polished to a very smooth surface. Slix-shot nipples were installed on the cylinders & reduced main hammer springs replace the factory product.

clehfeldt

Thank you for your inputs. I have Slix nipples and they help but are not doing the job. They would probably work on a 44 where you can reduce the charge and still deal with knock downs, this is not an option with 36s in my opinion. Another issue is the hammer notch being filled in again this not an option on a 5  shooter since it is neccessary to use the safety pins to position the hammer at the loading table. This forces me to consider the manhattan modification if I wish to use these as main match pistols. One thought that occured to me is that if I make the hammers like the Remmington hammers I can raise the "fence" all the way to the top of the frame,
might help.
Carlos
Carlos El Hombre

Pettifogger

I've got some 62's I've done the Manhattan conversion on.  (Don't know why it got that name as it bears no resemblance to the plate installed in an actual Civil War era Manhattan revolver.)  You are wasting your time if you leave the notch in the hammer face.  If I get the time I'll dig around in the closet and look for them.  They are NOT really suitable as main match pistols if you are actually going to shoot a lot of Frontiersman.  For an occasional fun day they are OK.  BUT, they are light duty firearms based on the Colt 1849 frame and will not stand up to heavy use.

clehfeldt

I have put cap guards on one of the 62s and what a difference. Things went from pull the trigger and shoot followed by turn the gun upside down cock it and shake the cap out of beneath the hammer and then turn the gun rightside up and shoot again, repeat TO sending balls down range as fast as I could manipulate the controls. I will do the other one in a couple of days followed by setting the barrel/cylinder gap and then, and then go see about some leather.

Carlos
Carlos El Hombre

clehfeldt

Both guns cap guards are done, taller front sights are installed, don't have leather yet but I think I will shoot a local match by staging them on the props in the just for fun catagory. Life has certainly improved.
Carlos
;D
Carlos El Hombre

Slowhand Bob

I am sorry but this is an illegal post and if you do not bring it into compliance within a reasonable time huge fines will follow.  Many photos will be required, with lots of close ups and instructions, to bring this post into compliance.  Thank you!   ::)

clehfeldt

If the court please, I don't have camera capability at this time. I will ask if my wife's equipment will do the job and get back to you.
Carlos
Carlos El Hombre

Slowhand Bob

Thank you Carlos, your cooperation is greatly appreciated and will be put on file.  I have a pair of the Uberti '62s and have only used them a couple of times in the back yard but did not have any issues.  I also have a pair of the '49s that I have never fired but hope to get the right supplies for them soon and try them out.

clehfeldt

I went by Walmart and bought a new camera, now I have to learn how to use it, learn how to post pictures etc. When the pictures show up you will know that I was successful.
Carlos
???
Carlos El Hombre

Slowhand Bob

AW man, I did not mean to put you out.  I do like to see how the handy guys handle problems though.  My wife is after me to buy her something called a Go-Pro movie(?) camera but Lordy that thing is pricey!

clehfeldt

OK I have pictures. Now I need the 50 cent lecture on how to post them.
Carlos
Carlos El Hombre

clehfeldt

Slowhand,
I sent ya a PM.
Carlos
Carlos El Hombre

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com