Oregon Trail and HBC Trade Fort People

Started by NisquallyGeorge, March 07, 2013, 10:07:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NisquallyGeorge

So is there anyone who works with personas from the Oregon Trail or the Hudson Bay Company Trade Forts in Washington and Oregon? 1820s to about 1860ish?

Thanks
Nisqually George (NG)

Caleb Hobbs

I was hoping someone would reply, as it is an interesting and historical location. What kind of persona did you have in mind?

NisquallyGeorge

Paid hunter assigned to one of the forts.  My understanding is they are the 2nd highest paid employee at the fort because they were providing meat for the whole fort not just the brigades.  That means a stable place for my family to live and I don't have to wear buckskins all the time (actually never thank goodness) due to the availability of fabric and manufactured clothes.
This also allows me to play with various nationalities (English, Amercian, Scottish, Irish, Native American, French Canadian and Russian). That's as far as I've gotten so far still learning about the era.

Caleb Hobbs

Sounds like a good start, though. Keep us updated on your progress. I've always admired someone who could pick a time and place, then really focus on it.

NisquallyGeorge

I've been doing this kind of hobby for a while now (SCA/Middle Ages) I had my first persona completely fleshed out with documentation before I went to my first event. So it's one of the aspects that I truly enjoy. I think the best way to study history is to immerse myself in it.

As for focusing on a time and place... well I'm lucky I have an HBC Trade fort here in my back yard, Fort Nisqually and it's a living history museum. So I can work with them, in fact I plan on getting my family involved at the Fort as well. Summer days spent doing what we enjoy for free...

Tsalagidave

George,

Contact the Sutter's Fort gift shop and order their "Costume Guide". It is a well researched work that includes illustrations and covers the HB Trader topic as well. It is also a good start for anyone doing a west-coast "gold rush" or pre-gold rush impression. There are also some people around Fort Clatsop who do the period but it's been years since I've spoken with them.

Although some of the mountain men absolutely wore skins, many worked in wool, linen, cotton materials. It just depends on whatever profession you claim in your impression. It sounds like you like historic authenticity down to the details without creating an anachronism so I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Please keep us posted as it comes along and post pictures. We love to see, gear, camp/trail shots, etc.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

NisquallyGeorge

Quote from: Tsalagidave on March 13, 2013, 04:56:27 PM
George,

Contact the Sutter's Fort gift shop and order their "Costume Guide". It is a well researched work that includes illustrations and covers the HB Trader topic as well. It is also a good start for anyone doing a west-coast "gold rush" or pre-gold rush impression. There are also some people around Fort Clatsop who do the period but it's been years since I've spoken with them.

Although some of the mountain men absolutely wore skins, many worked in wool, linen, cotton materials. It just depends on whatever profession you claim in your impression. It sounds like you like historic authenticity down to the details without creating an anachronism so I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Please keep us posted as it comes along and post pictures. We love to see, gear, camp/trail shots, etc.

-Dave

LOL... anachronism... uhm well actually I prefer to know and understand what the authentic item may have been but I'm also a realist and don't have the cash to be absolutely authentic (e.g. my rifle is a T/C). Personally, I have issues with the use of HC when people pick and choose what they declare what will be HC and ignore other facets because it's not practical or possible to acheive. Again this is my issue, so I'm trying to find a happy medium where I can take the parts of what I like and put the whole persona together. Plus once I have the money to upgrade my kit that's my plan.

Oh and thanks I'll check with them as well. I've been working with Fort Nisqually and Fort Vancouver here in the Nortwest on costuming and gear. I hope to get to the point where my family and I can volunteer at these forts as living historians. And yes the kit will be authentic... LOL

Tsalagidave

I see your concerns regarding the misuse of  Historical Correctness. However we establish our guidelines based on what is historically documented and then represent it with either an original item or a reproduction that simulates the original item as realistically as can be attained. Some may disagree where we draw the line on that but we must have standards all the same.

I also sympathize with your budget situation as we all must contend with the same obstacle. However, it is better to borrow period correct gear rather than carry something in your impression that may be glaringly wrong because it is all you have for now.
It's unrealistic for anyone to be expected to have a great impression right from the start. It takes time and that's part of the fun. Also, we won't judge you for that. To steal an excerpt from an article I wrote on the subject:

Doing a 100% "accurate" impression, it is virtually impossible. The solder on our tin is lead-free; there is different metallurgy in most repro firearms; most participants are older than the average age, are overweight or have covered non-period tattoos or scars from modern medical procedures. That being said, it is not an excuse for anyone to throw up their hands and take an "anything goes" approach. Rather, you want to see how close you can replicate the period with the right gear and material to a level that is reasonably believable or good enough to present to a classroom as a "typical example of how it was".

This means that we still have a responsibility to give a historically accurate impression of either a specific individual or a typical individual of a certain (race, occupation, lifestyle) as they were during a selected place/time period.
As an end-note, I actually like having items in my kit that look "farby" but are actually spot-on historically correct.

-Dave

NisquallyGeorge

Dave,

I understand completely and I know that this is my issue to work through. Completely agree with setting acceptable guidelines and sticking to them...

Thanks!

Tsalagidave

Hi George,

A good thing about the "loaner-equipment" program is that it takes the pressure off of you from being required to have absolutely-everything first before coming to an event. This way, you are in control of deciding if this is a rewarding hobby for you to pursue or if it was a fun 1-2 time thing. (I've seen it happen.)

Anyhow, I look forward to seeing you at future events. I'm sure you'll have a lot to knowledge contribute and I am eager to benefit from the exchange.

Thanks

-Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com