Question on Holster Size

Started by Billy Bristol, March 06, 2013, 04:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy Bristol

I have been looking for a set of holsters for my 1851 .44 sheriff's that I can afford. Most of the rigs I see are for SA clones either in .38 or .44/.45. Will the 51's fit a holster for .38's ? I know the .44/.45 holsters are larger than the 51's.
Always knew I was born 100 yrs too late.

New Britain, CT

Cliff Fendley

A holster for a SAA is the same size regardless of caliber. They are all larger than one for an open top. Yes it will fit provided it is long enough but it will be loose.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Dalton Masterson

Something in a Ruger Single Six or Model P JR/Lightning size should be close for you.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Billy Bristol

The reason I asked is because I have a single buscadero holster that is for 38's and my 51's fits well. But I want to get a double strong rig that is not buscadero. I have seen a few rigs I can afford, but without actually trying them I have no idea if they would be the same fit.

New Britain, CT

Slowhand Bob

The holsters could most likely be molded to the '51s for a decent fit.  The problems will depend on the holsters finish,  are they heavily tooled, do they have a metal skeleton or perhaps other features that water might affect?  There are cheep holsters that will work fairly well and might be a better deal thsn what you are considering BUT more information on what you are looking at would be necessary.

Billy Bristol

Guess I will have to make due with what I have until I see something that works in person. Or til I have the money to have something made or buy cartridge pistolas. As much as I want to start shooting it looks like it may take awhile to get everything I need anyway. Kinda sucks being on a limited budget after having made good money working.

Thanks for the info anyway.

New Britain, CT

Cliff Fendley

Your probably better to use what you have and save your money and order a custom rig. You'll likely find it's not really much if any more to have one custom made.

That way you get what you really want and can be made in a styling and appearance that suits the pistols and meets your needs.

Heck to me dressing the part is as much fun as shooting so why not put together the right look for those percussion pistols.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com