Two Cowboys and Indian Warrior With Spencer Carbine

Started by Two Flints, March 02, 2013, 08:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Flints

Sorry SSS,

I received an Email from an SSS member who attached a terrific photo of "two cowboys with an Indian Warrior possibly holding a Spencer Carbine".

HOWEVER :-X :-X Verizon DSL (Damn Slow Log-on) has been very quirky of late and Photobucket has changed their web site with new features that I have not adjusted to, and between both of them, I lost not only the original Email, but also the photo.  >:( >:(

Please SSS member, resend the scanned photo to me, and my deepest apologies!!!!!!!!

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Jbar4Ranch

I HATE when that happens!  :D

I'll resend the gigantic version of it to you. ;)

Scanned from a book I have - the original pic is claimed to have been taken in 1879.

Two Flints

Thanks again Rob,

Is the Indian Warrior holding a Spencer Carbine ??? ???  What do you all think?

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Herbert

There is no dought he is holding a Spencer carbine,the photo needs to be revesed ( a lot of old photos are back to front like this)

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Perseo

Maybe he had one of the ultra rare left handed Spencer carbines?

Nice work Two Flints and Herbert.  Thanks 2F for all you do - I am really enjoying this forum.

5judge

5Judge,

You were correct on the sex of the Indian in the photo!  Keep in mind, I'm still recovering from eye surgery ::) ::)

Two Flints ;D

Herbert

Very good point,with the outfits they are wearing it looks like they were ready for Buffolow Bill wild west show more than a hunting trip

Jbar4Ranch

There are two photos in the book; the first shows the two gents in Mountie uniforms, then the above shot for the folks back home. :)

RattlesnakeJack

That image is one of several fairly well known (..... well known up here, north of the Medicine Line, anyway ....) photographs taken at Fort Walsh, District of Assiniboia, North West Territories, which was one of the earliest of the main North West Mounted Police posts - constructed in 1875 -

My Alias is based on a real-life individual (John M. 'Rattlesnake Jack' Robson) who served briefly in the NWMP before moving on to other things, including serving as a Scout with the Rocky Mountain Rangers during the North West Rebellion in 1885.   The earliest of two known photographs of him was taken at Fort Walsh with a very similar log wall as a backdrop -

In 1882, as the Canadian Pacific Railway moved west, NWMP headquarters were moved to the Territorial Capitol, Regina, and when the railway reached the immediate area in 1883 the Fort was abandoned and a post was established at the new town of Maple Creek, 30 miles or so to the northeast.  In 1942, the RCMP purchased the site of the original Fort and established their Remount Ranch there.  The site was transferred to Parks Canada in 1968 and, since then, using the surviving Remount Ranch buildings as a basis, the fort has been "reconstructed" and is now a National Historic Site -

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Two Flints

Rattlesnake Jack,

Thank you for the additional information and photos ;D

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

RattlesnakeJack

Here is the other image referred to, showing the same individuals in their NWMP uniforms.  (I have not reversed it.)  The individual who is seated in both of the photographs is identified as Constable Fred Young, and the other chap as Constable G.B. Moffat.  Note the close similarity between this shot and the photo of Constable Robson.

The Native in the "dressed up" photo is identified only as a "Blood man" - i.e.b of the Kainai or Kaina tribe of the Blackfoot Confederacy.  The Blackfoot word translates as "Many Chief People".  The common English name for the tribe comes from the Plains Cree name for the tribe (Miko-Ew) meaning "stained with blood" (signifying bloodthirsty and cruel.)
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Oregon Bill

Grant, the reconstructed fort is enchanting in its lovely setting. You have such a beautiful country!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com