USFA Original "Sears Gun" for sale

Started by Capt. John Fitzgerald, February 23, 2013, 02:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. John Fitzgerald

You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Invinoveritas

Sounds like it is already past what's it's worth.

Old Doc

But whoever answered the phone at USFA said it was worth $9500.  ;D

Mean Bob Mean

Quote from: Old Doc on February 23, 2013, 09:19:10 PM
But whoever answered the phone at USFA said it was worth $9500.  ;D

For those prices I at least want a few extra inches of steel.
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Major 2

Very nice ... and one of a kind ....interesting 1996 date means Uberti parts, finely US finished.

when planets align...do the deal !

Capt. John Fitzgerald

I downloaded and enlarged the barrel picture.  It is one of the early "Patent" marked guns.

Major 2

Yes Sir  Photo # 11 ,  also states U.S. Patent Fire Arms in the discription

photo # 13 & 14 states it's origin date ...surely is special & desirable piece

If I had cubic cash flow , I could bid  :-\  .....I don't though  :(

jdpress

The USFA Sears revolver is no longer listed - Must have sold off-line.

J.D. Press

Capt. John Fitzgerald

Apparently the reserve price wasn't met.  Be interesting to see if it is listed again.
In another post I offered the opinion that this gun was the ultimate USFA "collectable."  As far as I know, only two were ever produced.  The second gun is, or at least was, kicking around here in the Northwest (Seattle area).  .38 cal. with bark ivory grips.  It has been sold a couple of times for around $5000.  Beautiful gun but not as "historically correct" as this one due to caliber and grips.
The originals Colt Sears gun had a 5 & 1/2" barrel and carved pearl grips.  While much of the engraving and gold inlay on the USFA gun replicates that of the Colt, the cylinder on the USFA differs from the original. There are several other subtle differences.  The original Colt Sears gun was, at one time, owned by Mel Torme.

Here is a photo of the original Colt;

Invinoveritas

I believe it had several days left when it was pulled. I suspect someone bought it.

Major 2

Quote from: Invinoveritas on February 25, 2013, 05:40:24 PM
I believe it had several days left when it was pulled. I suspect someone bought it.

Will post some photos when it arrives?  :)

Capt. John Fitzgerald

Despite what it says, I believe you are right!  Looking at it again I see that it was only listed for 3 days.  It would be interesting to know what it went for.

Old Doc

Quote from: Invinoveritas on February 25, 2013, 05:40:24 PM
Hope they knew it was a Uberti.

mtone

There was also one in 32-20.  I believe RMB Enterprises in CA had it. 

Major 2

Quote from: Old Doc on February 25, 2013, 06:51:12 PM
Hope they knew it was a Uberti.

Nothing wrong with that, A fine gun, unique & rare , its origin manufacture would be irrelevant.
Colt has used Uberti, as did USFA unitl 2003.

I venture to say Uberti out sells both Colt & USFA is SAA's  (or in USFA's case... did )

Invinoveritas

I would not say it is "irrelevant ".  It would be worth more if a fully built USFA. Uberti is fine, but  I have several collector, engraved USFAs  which are USFA built . While that Sears gun was appealing, particularly since I have several which are Kies engraved, it would have been more so if a later build.

Coffinmaker

I guess I just don't get it.  Never have.  Six to Nine grand for a toy your never going to play with.  Silly.  I realize collector guns have out performed stocks for profit the last decade, but toys were made for play.  I got my new "Woody's blaster pistol" out of it's package Christmas Day to play with it.  Thru the package away too.  The dog hates it, by the way.

Yep.  Uberti out sells Colt and out sold USFA by a bunch.  Price point. 

There is no historical significance to either reproduction of the Sears gun any more than imagined historical signifance of the original Sears gun.  Just a nicely engraved new build Colt and new built USPFAs.  Now, had they been carried by Bat Masterson, we'd have some historical significance.

Coffinmaker

Major 2

I suppose I'm 100% with you there  :)  "Six to Nine grand for a toy your never going to play with"  ::)

But if you have the CLAMs and it don't tilt the bank ...   :-\  you can't take it with you,

hopalong

Quote from: Old Doc on February 23, 2013, 09:19:10 PM
But whoever answered the phone at USFA said it was worth $9500.  ;D

Actually, that's what they said it would cost me to replace it.  

I decided to keep it.  That's why I pulled the auction.  I'm glad I did.    :)

Capt. John Fitzgerald

Good for you, Hopalong!  Without a doubt, the prettiest gun USFA (or USPFA, for that matter) ever produced.  Like I said earlier, the "ultimate" USFA collectable.  Had the chance, a couple of years ago, to buy one that was .38 cal. with bark ivory grips.  I still regret not getting it.  It was manufactured around 2004.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com