Original Spencer Carbine For Sale Has Been *** Sold ***

Started by major, February 21, 2013, 09:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

major

I have an original Spencer Carbine for sale.  The gun has been converted to center fire but I will also include the original block.  It has a raised front sight.  It is in amazing condition with out any cracks in the wood.  The lettering on the top is clear and easy to read and the action is very smooth.  Bore is discolored but it has strong rifleing, it has a barrel that is about 22 inches long.  It has a really nice patina to all the metal, no rust.  
I use to shoot it live but I don't have any of the molds or brass left.  I have a search report on it and the serial number is in the range of guns issued to the 5th NYVC or the 11th Illinois Cav. In 1864.  I just don't shoot it any more and I hate for it to become a safe queen when there is someone out there that could use it. $2500. + shipping.  
I can send additional pictures if you like. Terry, 716 693-three two 37.  t.schultz5@roadrunner.com

Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Perseo

Terry:

I am a new guy here, owning a Spencer for all of a few weeks.  My question for you:  The hammer in your picture has a taper to it (right near the striking end).  You say the barrel measures out at 20 inches (plus a half).  Those things suggest to me that your Carbine is a Model 1865.

Is it a Model 1860 that got modified and refurbished post Civil War M 1865 specs?

Edit added to this post later -- Looking at the picture of the whole gun, it looks like the barrel and forestock each is longer than on my M1865, so I withdraw my speculation. Barrel lenght for the M1860 carbine is 22 inches.

I had read that a tapered hammer is an M1865 feature, but I don't know that for a fact.

Perseo

major

I have corrected my post as a friend of mine told me that I was measuring the barrel from the wrong place and it is indeed 22 inches.  Also the hammer was probably replace in the mid 1800's with a new hammer as the breach and hammer have the same amount of patena.  Both the serial numbers on the barrel and breach match.  I have also lowered the asking price to $2500.
Terry
Free Mason
Alabama Gun Slingers
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

major

Terry
Free Mason
Alabama Gun Slingers
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com