Information and suggestions sought

Started by Forty Rod, February 20, 2013, 04:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forty Rod

Let's say, just for example, that I wanted to put a cutout in the center of a shooting bag front flap, and that I wanted to line the whole flap with red cloth, and that I wanted that cloth to show through the cut out.

What fabric is best?  I have a couple of square yards left over from other projects.

Can I rubber cement it in place to hold it until I can get it stitched to the leather?

If I want to put a pewter Celtic cross in the center will I need a backing behind the cloth?

And finally, how do I attach the cross to the flap?  It had a ring cast into the top, but it looks weak and would let the cross flop all over.

Thanks.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

ChuckBurrows

Quote from: Forty Rod on February 20, 2013, 04:46:39 PM
Let's say, just for example, that I wanted to put a cutout in the center of a shooting bag front flap, and that I wanted to line the whole flap with red cloth, and that I wanted that cloth to show through the cut out.

What fabric is best?  I have a couple of square yards left over from other projects.
a tightly woven wool like broadcloth or stroud are best since the edges won't ravel

Can I rubber cement it in place to hold it until I can get it stitched to the leather?
yes or use a fabric glue such as Tear Mender

If I want to put a pewter Celtic cross in the center will I need a backing behind the cloth?
yes - when doing this I use the cloth only for the inlay and back behind it with a lighter leather of about 3/4 weight - it can be buckskin, veg tan or your choice

And finally, how do I attach the cross to the flap?  It had a ring cast into the top, but it looks weak and would let the cross flop all over.
I normally drill small holes in the four cross pieces (on the top you can use the ring instead of drilling) and sew the cross or whatever onto the backing with a small stitch at each cross, I've also use small iron tacks as rivets or ultra small copper rivets - these can found at some jeweler's supply houses

Thanks.

aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Forty Rod

Thank you, sir.  Exactly what I needed.

I made my current bag in 1978 or there about, and it's been fully functional and sturdy as Gibraltar, but it's also as ugly as original sin and it's time to retire it.

Thanks again.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Old Top

Forty,

I would say your bad was made much before 1978  ;D ;D ;D

Top, Old, one of
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Old Top on February 21, 2013, 12:44:11 AM
Forty,

I would say your bad was made much before 1978  ;D ;D ;D

Top, Old, one of

+1 What old top said

tEN wOLVES  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Grenadier

I have made the cut out lining from braintained deerskin that I had dyed red. You get a nice durable liner, plus the color showing through.

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

I would think that any substantial red wool would be most authentic.  The backing could be any light scrap suede or buckskin.

Chuck & grenadier have some good ideas.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

bedbugbilly

Years ago,I used to make quite a few bags - some with cut-outs.  I usually scrounged around at someplace like Joanne Fabrics for wool remnants as they were cheaper than buying by the yard off the bolt.  I would make the cut-out on the flap and then cut a piece of the wool (same shape as the cut - out but larger) and either use the spray on material adhesive or rubber cement to hold it in place.  On some of the bags, I'd line the entire flap with a thin piece of leather since I sometimes "bound" the edge - and then sew around the cut-out - or cut a thin piece of leather the same size as the wool piece - attach with spray adhesive and then sew around the cut-out.

For lining on pouches - I preferred pillow ticking but would dye it - usually a brownish color - sometimes natural (walnut hulls) or sometimes with Rit.  I'd cut it basically the same as the pieces depending on how I was going to sew the pouch.  Usually I'd use spray adhesive to attach it to the leather and then sew the pouch.  On the back of the bag - I usually sewed the flap on but would turn the liner (pillow timing) over the edge before sewing the flap on and let the overlap cover/hold the lining in place.  I usually would fold the lining over the front piece of the bag - sew it rudely in place (to make it look "rustic") and then fray the edge.

Leather inside pockets can be sewn over the lining prior to sewing the bag together.  I usually just put one medium size pocket on the inside of the back of the pouch.  Depending upon what type of leather I was using, I might have to immerse the bag in water prior to turning right side out - and then just let it dry.  To "age" the bag - scuffing with some sandpaper and using various shades of darker oil stains (Minwax stains) worked well) I'd rub it in where normal wear and dirt would appear - then oil the bag.

Just some suggestions.

I also used to make some "poor boy" bags as well.  Those I'd sew up out of canvas or pillow ticking and then after they were completed, I'd paint the entire thing with black latex paint.  Sounds odd but it maks a nice pouch.  To give it an "aged" look, I'd wait until the paint was dry (several days) and then tumble dry in the dryer.  The tumbling gives it some "wear" and also makes it a little softer.  (Just clear this with the wife first!).  I've used sewn shoulder straps on these as well as leather.  Just a different type of bag that you don't see too often. 

On some of my bags, I'd attach horn straps and on others, I didn't.  Personally, I like my horn on a separate strap - mine is a larger F & I style so for me, it's easier to have it separate and I carry it high.

On some bags I'd sew a knife scabbard to the back in the center - works nice for a smaller knife that can double as a patch knife and on some I'd incorporate a small scabbard on the shoulder strap for a patch knife.  I always made the bags according to whether the person was left handed or right handed.  Example - on a right hand bag (carried on the right) - I always put the buckle for adjusting the shoulder strap length to the back.  One less thing to "catch" in the woods.

GunClick Rick

Oh heck just punch holes and get some wax thread,and ya wanna keep it simple ;D This one is just for lookin through :)

Bunch a ole scudders!

Forty Rod

Quote from: Sir Charles deMouton-Black on February 21, 2013, 01:01:57 PM
Just a spill of the notgue ;)

Yeah, I got my tang toungled up.

That's BAG, you non-compoop.  (An old non-com will understand that.)

GunClick Rick

And that's Nimcompoop to you sir! :D :D :D :D :D I will not answer to NON :D :D :D :D

What a maroon! cya in Miami Sammie :P :P :-*
Bunch a ole scudders!

Sgt. C.J. Sabre

Quote from: Forty Rod on February 21, 2013, 09:51:01 PM
That's BAG, you non-compoop.  (An old non-com will understand that.)

I did.

Red Cent

Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

GunClick Rick

Bunch a ole scudders!

Forty Rod

Possible bags, or possibles bags, are different than shooting bags.  They are used to tote "possibles", personal items that a fella might want on or about his person at all times.  Often long and narrow with fringe and / or other decorations and worn on a belt or sash around the waist.  

A "shooting bag" could be used for the same purpose, but most generally was used to carry balls, a loading block, cap or flints, a capper, a small salt horn, extra powder, fire starting kit, grease and lubricants, patches, starters, small tools, maybe a spy glass, lacing, buckskin patching and lace, and the like.

There was also a pipe bag commonly found, a "strike-a-light" bag which carried fire-making supplies like flint, a striker, tow or char cloth or other tinder, etc.  It wasn't unusual to find a "burning glass" as well.

Other bags and pouches were also common, such a a "gage d'amour" (sp?), odds and ends belt pouches, ball / bullet bags, food and seasoning bags, storage bags, medicine bags, etc......and that doesn't include pack baskets or other back packs, bed rolls, panniers, saddle pockets, and plain old tote sacks of many kinds and descriptions.

Now, aren't you sorry you asked?  ::)

Forty Rod

Kinda doubled up on that one, didn't I?

GunClick Rick

Bunch a ole scudders!

Forty Rod

Getting closer to being what I want.  Not too bad, considering I've changed my mind  about 60 times a day since I started.  It's nothing at all like I pictured it and i didn't use a lot of the suggestions I got from you folks (no cut ours),but I did use some..

Need to find a dozen solid brass 1/4" spots.  I have a hundred or so brass-plated steel spots, but they don't antique worth a hoot.  Not even sure anyone makes real brass spots any more.  

I'm also going to have to go out and steal a hank of hair about 6" long and as big around as a pencil from some young lady...without losing my own hair in the process.  Never mind about the hair.  I took a different route (again) on that.

Cliff Fendley

A lot of people incorrectly call shooting bags, possibles bags.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com