'65 Spencer

Started by PJ Hardtack, February 14, 2013, 08:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJ Hardtack

Got a line of a '65 Spencer carbine.

Current owner says it is a Burnside made carbine made at Providence, RI. Has cut-off but sling bar has been removed.
Said to have shiny bore, nice overall patina, no cracks or serious marks on stock. I presume it's in 56-50 as a '65.

Will it have the slow 1x49" twist of earlier models? Is it worth acquiring as a shooter?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Herbert

Should have a 1 in 34 twist,I get good acuracy with my Burncide Spencer carbine,bullet selaction and lube is a major factor for these carbines.I would also only use BP,FF seems to give best results .Loading BP cartridge for acuracy can be a learning curve, if you have not had previous experince it can be frustrating so dont hesitate to ask others

PJ Hardtack

Herbert - Thanks!

What bullet weight and diameter would be appropriate for an original 56-50?

The seller says that " ...the cut-off has been removed, but the screw remains ...". Does that make sense? Also, the left side of the gun appears to resemble more the earlier model pictured in Peter Schiffers book, without the sling bar.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Two Flints

P.J.,

How about some photos of this Spencer.  You post them or send them to me and I will post them for you.  My Email address is fsgrand2@fairpoint.net

He is referring to the Stabler CutoffSwitch (allowed the Spencer to load just one cartridge at a time to conserve ammunition).  The switch has been removed (the Stabler Cutoff) but the screws that held it in place are still there.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Herbert

Quote from: PJ Hardtack on February 15, 2013, 10:57:21 AM
Herbert - Thanks!

What bullet weight and diameter would be appropriate for an original 56-50?

The seller says that " ...the cut-off has been removed, but the screw remains ...". Does that make sense? Also, the left side of the gun appears to resemble more the earlier model pictured in Peter Schiffers book, without the sling bar.
It is best to slug the breach end of the bore in Spencers to determine bullet diameter,but with original 56-50 Spencers I have found you realy can not go wrong with the BACO .520-375gr(I use the NEI .525-395gr bullet which I can size down to .516 for my sporting rifle or leave as cast for my Burncide carbine wich sluges at .523,it is a very good bullet for the 56-50)Cutt-offs are another thing that is oftern missing off Spencers that they were made for ,again these can be had from S&S.If there is no place for the carbine ring you may have a converted rifle,would have to have pictures to tell,though Burncide did not make any rifle actions that I am aware of(they did make a couple of sporting rifles with carbine frames,these are very rare)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com