Has anyone ever heard of Consew Machines?

Started by WaddWatsonEllis, February 11, 2013, 11:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WaddWatsonEllis

Hi,

I have a chance to pick up a Consew cheap at an estate sale....

Has anyone ever heard of these machines? They actually have a website ....

Here is a pic of the one that I am considering:

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Trailrider

Yes, I've heard of them. I don't have any personal experience with them, however. Is this a walking foot machine? What size needles and thread sizes can it handle? What are you planning to do with it? If you are going to make holsters, belts, etc., then it should be able to handle 277 (5-6 cord) thread and 200 needles and two layers of 10-11 oz leather or even slightly heavier thickness. That is what a Juki Pro 2000 (Nakajima TSC441), Ferdnand Bull, etc, will handle. I can't say whether that Consew will handle those levels. Ask the seller. If you have the model number you might go online and see what they show for specs.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

cavsgt

We have had a Consew 225 for about 50 yrs.  Ours has been a very good machine with very few problems in several years of commercial production.  They are light for holster work but really shine on chaps ang quilted saddle seats.

I would highly recommend it for light work.

Massive

Well known commercial machine and if you have the space, and it is cheap you will find uses.

Walking foot machines are not really veg tan machines, they tend to mark leather.  You can get smooth feet, and they work in certain cases, but there are limits.  As others have said, they are not holster machines.  even the smooth feet will mark work if there is any residual moisture in it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com