I need help with my Cimarron 1878 Coach Gun

Started by Justician, February 07, 2013, 05:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justician

My 1878 coach gun arrived today. I cleaned the oil off and out of the barrels then started checking it out. It looks great. I'm sure it could stand a bit of slicking up, but that is a minor concern.

My immediate problem is that the hammers don't hit the firing pins. I'm tempted to loosen the hammer nuts and see if I can rotate the hammers forward, but I don't want to screw up the warranty. I hate to send it back for repair if there is a simple solution.

Any advice?

Justician

Abilene

The '78 Coachgun has rebounding hammers.  This is a safety feature.  The hammers will only strike the firing pins if the trigger is pulled.  You can verify this without even cocking the hammers.  Pull the front trigger and you should be able to push the right side hammer down until it hits the firng pin.  When you are actually firing the gun it happens so fast that you may not see the hammer strike the pin. 

Major 2

what he said....thats the way it is supposed to work
Shoot a box, it will settle/smooth in for you
when planets align...do the deal !

Abilene

Oh yeah, one other thing (that you may already know).  Most folks file down those sharp "eyelids" on top of the hammers.  Depending on how you cock the hammers, they might take a chunk out of your palm  :(   I never filed mine down because I cock them one at a time with my thumb while reloading, but just keep that in mind.

Justician

I thought that about the rebounding hammers but with snap caps, I couldn't see the contact. I'll give it a try at the range as soon as I can. If it works, those sharp points are going to meet a file.

Thanks,

Justician

Abilene

Quote from: Justician on February 07, 2013, 09:25:55 PM
I thought that about the rebounding hammers but with snap caps, I couldn't see the contact. ...

If you open the action and put your finger up to the firing pin hole and cock the hammer and pull the trigger, you should feel it (ouch!), or if you put a piece of masking tape or hold a piece of paper over the "primer" of the snap cap and drop the hammer, the firing pin should punch a hole in it.

Pettifogger

Quote from: Justician on February 07, 2013, 09:25:55 PM
I thought that about the rebounding hammers but with snap caps, I couldn't see the contact. I'll give it a try at the range as soon as I can. If it works, those sharp points are going to meet a file.

Thanks,

Justician

It's fine.  You can't see it move as it is moving faster than the eye can normally detect.

Justician

Thank you all. I did the tape over the snap cap and it is indented. Actually after I kept watching it, I finally could see the contact. It rebounds too fast for my aging eyes.

After cutting my left thumb, I have deburred the triggers. Now I just need to remember where I put my bluing stick.

The barrel release really has to be pushed far to the right to get it to disengage.  Is there an easy fix that I can do to move it to the left initially or shorten the travel?

Thanks,

Justician

Abilene

Quote from: Justician on February 08, 2013, 02:51:49 PM
...The barrel release really has to be pushed far to the right to get it to disengage.  Is there an easy fix that I can do to move it to the left initially or shorten the travel?...

I don't know about that, maybe the gunsmiths will chime in, but there is an aftermarket lighter spring for the opening lever that might make the long throw less of an issue for you:
http://www.cowboygunparts.com/top-spring-ttn.html

Justician

Thank you, I'll get this and talk to my gunsmith.

Justician

Old Smokey

Stupid question I'm asking here but, here goes.  The owners manual repeatedly states that it is a shotgun chambered for 3" shells. Now, here comes my STUPID question... can 2 3/4" shells be used in it?

:-[

Major 2

when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com