Best way to clean BP case after use?

Started by Mike, February 04, 2013, 11:39:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

I dont think this has been asked before.

I wash mine in hot water with dish washing liquid then put them in the case tumbler for a few hours, de-prime them and then put them back in for a few morre hours. They still are not very clean.

What do you guy's out there do to get them clean?
Buffalochip

joec

Quote from: Mike on February 04, 2013, 11:39:08 AM
I dont think this has been asked before.

I wash mine in hot water with dish washing liquid then put them in the case tumbler for a few hours, de-prime them and then put them back in for a few morre hours. They still are not very clean.

What do you guy's out there do to get them clean?

When at a meet I bring a bottle with water and dish washing liquid (Dawn usually) and decap my brass using a Lee Hand press with a Lee Universal decapping die which doesn't size so brass can be done dirty. Then into the jar of soapy water. Now when I get home I dry the brass completely rinse the brass then into a bit of vinegar and water for a few minutes followed by a complete rinsing and allowed to dry. At that point into the tumbler, which I use walnut shells (purchased from Harbor Freight) with a bit of Franklin Arsenal brass polish and a lint drier cloth cut up in to a couple of pieces. About an hour or so I have pretty clean brass. I then clean the primer pockets and check to be sure no media is in them as well as no damaged brass. It really is easy and the 1 1/2 hour trip I spend driving home from our home range the brass gets shook up pretty well in the soapy water.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Ranch 13

If deprime first, then was and rinse the cases, let them dry and then go thru the tumbler, you'll save some time and trouble.
When doing alot of cases I just run them thru the thumler tumbler with ceramic media, dry them and they're ready to go.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Mike

Buffalochip

Pettifogger

There's a difference between "clean" and "stained."  Sounds like you are doing just fine.  Just don't expect bright shiny brass if you are shooting BP. 

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

I have tried a bunch of different cleaning fluids.  Now I do the following;

For BP cases;
Rinse in water and dish detergent, let sit for a few hours or overnight,then
Another rinse
Put them in an ultrasonic cleaner with a 50% water/vinegar mix, and buzz them until they are clean. Be sure to rinse in straight water after, or better still, use some baking soda in the water to neutralize.  You don't have to buy the ultrasound thingy from a powder company.  Go on Amazon and buy a mid-size one.

For smokeless cases;
Omit the rinse phases
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

joec

Quote from: Sir Charles deMouton-Black on February 04, 2013, 04:41:42 PM
I have tried a bunch of different cleaning fluids.  Now I do the following;

For BP cases;
Rinse in water and dish detergent, let sit for a few hours or overnight,then
Another rinse
Put them in an ultrasonic cleaner with a 50% water/vinegar mix, and buzz them until they are clean. Be sure to rinse in straight water after, or better still, use some baking soda in the water to neutralize.  You don't have to buy the ultrasound thingy from a powder company.  Go on Amazon and buy a mid-size one.

For smokeless cases;
Omit the rinse phases

I don't bother with the rinse either for smokeless powder spent rounds.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

rbertalotto

I can't belive no one recommended stailess steel tumble media with water and Dawn..........The worse black  powder brass comes out nice and shiny.
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Fingers McGee

Wash with Dawn & hot water immediately on returning home after a match.  Agitate to loosen all the fouling.  Rinse in hot water till clear, lay out to dry, then put in vibratory cleaner with walnut media and Frankford Armory brass polish for 3 or 4 hours, or untill shiney & clean.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Coffinmaker

Man o man, some folks go to a lot of trouble just to make brass "shiny."  Brass stains with BP and subs.  Gives it character.  Personally, I just dump the cases in soapy water at the range, rinse when I get home and tumble.  Done.  Stains don't hurt a thing.

Coffinmaker

buckskin billy

over the years i have tried everything. but what made the best difference was when i started using ground up wal nut hull media. i just soak in water over night let dry and tumble. personally i like the "tarnished" look but i do keep a few rounds loaded that i like to call my show brass
" I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders"
-Ted Nugent-

if it walks, crawls, slithers or leaves a track i can tan it

http://thebuckrub.proboards.com/index.cgi?

http://thebuffalorunners.proboards.com/index.cgi

Mike

I go with the "tarnished" look but it is the in side the case I want to get clean. Will try a few of these ideas.
Buffalochip

wildman1

If ya want the primer pockets and inside of the cases clean do like RBL says. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Slowhand Bob

Shiny brass can do an amazing job of hiding from the pickers, add in camouflaged and your precious supply of brass will dwindle quickly.   There are some practical aspects to having clean looking brass.   

Paladin UK

OK.....
Ole Puk`s way..

Range..
Dump fired BP cases in Tupperware jar half filled with water splash of Fairy Liquid and same of White Vineger..
By the time were home they are mostly de crudded...

Home..
Empty out water and pour into old sink and flush
Pop em into an old towel and give a good old shake and pat

Pop em into tumbler with walnut grit and Brasso

Leave for a couple of hrs..
Empty out the nice shiney cases and they are ready to reload

I have never in over 30yrs deprimed any cases until they are on the press, I cant see ther point `sides thats what the deprimer is for!!

Its great that there are so many `my ways` Its what makes shoot`n these BP smokepoles such fun  ;D

Paladin (What lurvs the HB  ;D ) UK

I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Doug.38PR

I have learned that putting the barrel and cylinder in boil hot water takes everything right off.  Then dry it in the oven

Blair

Doug,

Cleaning the parts and pieces you are talking about only requires a good washing as you suggest, and then a simple drying and an oiling.
No Oven heating is required.
Cartridge cases cleaning requires a bit more effort and in some instance may require heat to help relax the brass from fire/shoot hardening that occurs from shooting.
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

wildman1

Blair, how much heat and for what duration? Thanks WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Blackpowder Burn

I've tried virtually everything recommended here.  I recently purchased a Thumler's Tumbler and stainless steel media.  There is nothing the comes close to cleaning the cases like it does.  I do nothing but collect my brass at the range (dry) and toss it in the tumbler with SS media, any dish detergent and a dash of Lemishine.  They come out looking factory new.

I have a friend that brought me some old 38 Spl brass that had been loaded with BP and "lost" for 4 or 5 years under junk in an old barn.  It was so corroded and nasty he was about to throw it away, but I suggested we try cleaning it with this method. It came out looking new.  I've never seen anything like it.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

wildman1

That is how mine are cleaned with the exception of a wash in Dawn and water in case I'm not tumblin them right away. WM

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com