Author Topic: BP Blank  (Read 7490 times)

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
BP Blank
« on: January 31, 2013, 10:37:46 PM »
Hi y'all, got a question for ya.  I've got a .44 Remington New Army and was wondering about a good blank load for re-enacting/amateur movies.  It has to be able to be shot at a person from 1.5 feet and not cause any too much discomfort, yet be convincing enough to pass as real.  I would also prefer it if I could carry it holstered without it losing the load.  Thank y'all very kindly. 8)

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1275
Re: BP Blank
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 07:32:02 AM »
there is no blank, BP or smokeless, that is safe at that distance.  Even at 15 feet plus, you should not aim directly at a person.

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 09:10:16 AM »
Even a PRIMER from a 22 rimfire will produce a bruise thru denim at 25' using a small piece of modeling clay as a bullet. Modeling clay is soft. Don't even think about it. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:41:54 PM »

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 01:15:59 PM »
You just have to practice shooting to one side or very low. In Re-enacting you back the crowd up for their safety AND so things look more realistic. In real a gunfight using black powder at close range it was common for one or both Shooters to windup on fire.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 09:29:02 AM »
I'm going to be harsh like I often am, but also truthful.  If you have to ask, don't do it, period.  I don't shoot anyone or get shot anymore but the group I work with won't even let you outside of the crowd barriers gun or no gun with out proper training, and the armorer/safety officer loads all guns, period, no exceptions and every group I know of is like that.

Letting someone with out training work with blank firing guns is as stupid as giving a 12 year old kid with no training the keys to the car and sending them to the grocery store.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline John William McCandles

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 10:56:36 AM »
This a link to the safety rules that the Reenactment Guild of America goes by.
Item #6 applies here but if you are wanting to do gunfight shows and/or reenactments please read the entire link.
Also go to the home page and read about the RGA.

http://www.rgamerica.org/data.htm

Regards
JW
NCOWS #1792
SASS #963
STORM #59
Johnson County Rangers
The Old West Players
Alpine Outlaws (Inactive)
NRA Life
NAHC Life
U.S. Navy Submarine Service Retired

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 12:13:41 PM »
I was just wonderin'.  I can't do the thing I was planning anyway, my partner kinda moved a thousand mile east.  Makes it difficult to practice anything.  And Delmonico,  I don't really find that harsh, I find it more short and to the point.

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 12:16:48 PM »
Thank you Kid, this is a subject there is no way to sugar coat in the least, this is serious stuff and failure to do it right can kill or cripple someone. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 12:36:47 PM »
Killing and being crippled......not fun.

--TK

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 01:11:54 PM »
My CAS club used to do some "re-enacting" at local events, and usually part of the act involved demonstrating that balnks really aren't that safe. Using a blank loaded with cream of wheat, throw up a coke can and shoot it. The damage done by dry cerial on a can is pretty impressive. And cream of wheat in a shoptgun blank can stick together in a lump and cause a pretty good bruise even at a good distance. So we quit using it, last I heard, the standard for the shotshells was a thin layer of florists foam over the powder- and the shells were cut in half, just barely long enough for the powder and foam, to prevent any posssible mixup with real shells. My usual was a C&B with just enough cornmeal over the powder to prevent it from chainfiring all the chambers at the first shot. And then, always aim at the ground , not at the other guy.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 01:47:04 PM »
Will a diet Coke can work?  Pony Express? ;)  I just happen to have a picture in the files.

When I was taking this a person I know who thinks they know everything asked me why I was taking the picture. ::)

I told her for the same reason Kurt shot it, to use it as an example to hopefully keep someone from being stupid.  Funny I didn't get a comment back.  I post this anytime I post photos of the group as a kids don't try this at home.  And yes I have a friend who's a dirty back shooter.

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 03:10:49 PM »
Not a whole lot left of that coke can, is there?  Amazing what ya' learn if ya' just ask :)

--TK

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 04:05:51 PM »
Not a whole lot left of that coke can, is there?  Amazing what ya' learn if ya' just ask :)

--TK

It was about 5 feet from the muzzle and was 15 grains of black and a vermiculite wad in a 60 Army.  A very mild blank really that makes decent noise but is not overwhelming. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 05:36:55 PM »
Only 15 grains? wow.  How convincing would a single percussion cap be?  No wad or amything, just the cap?

--TK

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 11:57:09 PM »
Will a diet Coke can work?  Pony Express? ;)  I just happen to have a picture in the files.

When I was taking this a person I know who thinks they know everything asked me why I was taking the picture. ::)

Sure, diet coke cans work too. I just don't want to be the one drinking the diet coke out of them before shooting!!!

Actually, the ones we shot with the cream of wheat looked like you shot it with a shotgun with really fine shot. Lots of little holes.

One time we did a gunfight at night, I loaded up my Dragoon with about 25 gr black powder in each chamber, but somehow never did put in the cornmeal over the powder. At my first shot, there was this huge fireball, when all the chambers chain fired, after that was just "pop, pop, pop" from the percussion caps. The other guys said it looked like a cannon going off.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 09:11:02 AM »
PE, the vermiculite has less of a "projectile" to it because of weight, that's what these folks have found out is best.  That is just pure muzzle blast.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline John William McCandles

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 09:26:10 AM »
We use oasis floral foam, not much comes out of the muzzle but safety distances still must be maintained.

JW
NCOWS #1792
SASS #963
STORM #59
Johnson County Rangers
The Old West Players
Alpine Outlaws (Inactive)
NRA Life
NAHC Life
U.S. Navy Submarine Service Retired

Offline yeti76620

• Reverend Sassquatch Dawg
  • Top Active Citizen
  • It's a good day to die....
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 09:56:20 AM »
Ya'll take the FUN outta everything.....  :-\ :-\ :-\

It's ALL fun 'n games 'til someone looses an eye..... :P  :P  :'(

410 shell that the shot is replaced with Rock Salt....  now that's a good time... :o  :o  :o

;D
NRA LIFE Member     SASS #76620     SCAA #1    RATS #480    OUTLAW

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
CONTACT YOUR POLITICIANS: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 10:07:59 AM »
Ya'll take the FUN outta everything.....  :-\ :-\ :-\

It's ALL fun 'n games 'til someone looses an eye..... :P  :P  :'(

410 shell that the shot is replaced with Rock Salt....  now that's a good time... :o  :o  :o

;D

That has to be one of the stupidest things I've seen posted all week, and in a thread where we are talking about being safe around firearms firing blanks.  I think you should just log out, turn on your TV and watch the pre-pre-pre-game shows and let a serious subject be serious like it should be.  Even better, delete that stupid post and I'll delete mine and maybe we can go back to trying to keep someone from hurting somebody. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline yeti76620

• Reverend Sassquatch Dawg
  • Top Active Citizen
  • It's a good day to die....
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 10:18:43 AM »

That has to be one of the stupidest things I've seen posted all week, and in a thread where we are talking about being safe around firearms firing blanks.  I think you should just log out, turn on your TV and watch the pre-pre-pre-game shows and let a serious subject be serious like it should be.  Even better, delete that stupid post and I'll delete mine and maybe we can go back to trying to keep someone from hurting somebody. 

REALLY..... ???

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D   :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D :D  :D

You been pi$$'n on folks all week...Go shoot an Alarm Clock! 'n lite'n up.......You're DISMISSED.... ::)  ::)  ::)

;D
NRA LIFE Member     SASS #76620     SCAA #1    RATS #480    OUTLAW

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
CONTACT YOUR POLITICIANS: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com