1858 Remington snub nose

Started by Triggersmith, January 28, 2013, 12:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triggersmith

This is a photo of my new 58 Remington snubnose.  The pistol is a Pietta 1858 Remington with target sights. The cylinder is a Kirst 45LC conversion. I followed some photos on a forum in here and rounded the butt to a semi birdshead.  The cylinder pin keeper was fashioned form the stock on with a hand bent spring.  The finish is Brownells Belgian blue. about 8 coats. I am going to stain the grips a bit darker.  Shoots great except for the squared off trigger wich cut a little nitch in my triggerfinger.  That has since been rounded off..  I am building the Doc Holliday rig from the Tombstone book for this bad boy.
Any questions you can email me at
rlhanchett@gmail.com
Triggersmith
Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith
See my ads in Cas City Classifieds

Southpaw

Thats a Remington I'd like to have...

The Trinity Kid

I can't say I've seen anything like it before.  I love it.

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Triggersmith

It might be for sale soon.  I need to start on a newer project.
Triggersmith
Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith

dusty texian

Halfway Creek Charlie

I'm a Remy Man and I love it. not sure about target sights on a Snubby, but.....Looks good.
SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Shooting History (original), Remy NMA Conversions, 1863 New Model Pocket Model C.F. Conversion, Remy Model 1889 12Ga. Coach Gun
2nd. Gen. "C" Series Colt 1851 Navies
Centennial Arms/Centaur 1860 Armies
1860 Civilian Henry 45LC (soon to be 44 Henry Flat C.F.(Uberti)
Remingon Creedmore Rolling Block 45-70 (Pedersoli)

"Cut his ears off and send them to that Marshall in Sheridan" Prentice Ritter

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Wolfgang

I've seen a few of them on this forum . . . . and so had to have one . . . . took a rough ASM that came as part of a "deal" . . .

and . . . .     http://www.drburkholter.com/cf4.html . . . . the front of the trigger guard has now been cut out also.    :)
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Triggersmith

You did your cylinder pin retainer the same as I did.  your piece is VERY cool.  I am making a short wooden pin with a ring on the end for the tip of a finger to knock out the empties.  Works great and doesn't get in the way.  I'd like to see a pic of the cut away trigger guard.  I also find the 58 trigger is a bit short and can nail the tip of your finger if not attended to.  Really great work.
Triggersmith
Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith

Triggersmith

Greetings,
As I said before, my 58 Remington snubby is going up for sale.  Gotta move to a new project.  You will find it in the classifieds.  Thanks for the replies.
Triggersmith
Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith

The Trinity Kid

What sort of price are ya' lookin' at?

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Triggersmith

$700.00 plus shipping to an FFL
Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith

The Trinity Kid

Ya', I posted that afore the classified came out :)

Triggersmith

I have been notified that being a custom converted pistol from black powder to cartridge, I really can't sell the gun.  I will check into this further.  Thanks to a good friend for giving me the heads up on this matter. Any comments on this matter are welcome.

Triggersmith
Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith

Halfway Creek Charlie

Technically all you did to the frame was alter the "Cap Groove".
You only "Relieved" the cap groove to accommodate fat fingers.... That's my arguement and I'm sticking to it.

I think you are OK...IF...you can still use the C & B cylinder in the gun.  Sell it with the C & B cylinder in it and ship the Conversion cylinder separately. If you cannot use the C & B cylinder in the pistol, then you have a problem.
SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Shooting History (original), Remy NMA Conversions, 1863 New Model Pocket Model C.F. Conversion, Remy Model 1889 12Ga. Coach Gun
2nd. Gen. "C" Series Colt 1851 Navies
Centennial Arms/Centaur 1860 Armies
1860 Civilian Henry 45LC (soon to be 44 Henry Flat C.F.(Uberti)
Remingon Creedmore Rolling Block 45-70 (Pedersoli)

"Cut his ears off and send them to that Marshall in Sheridan" Prentice Ritter

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Triggersmith

You have made an interesting point. That's all I did other than shorten the barrel and reshape the handle.  Thank you for your input.  Perhaps i shall give that a try.
Triggersmith
Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith

River City John

Yes, you have "manufactured a firearm", so sadly it might go into the coffin with you..

But, would think you can always sell it with the cap 'n' ball cylinder in it.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Triggersmith

Thanks John.  Yes the cap and ball cylinder will still work in it just fine. I just cutout the ejection port in the frame. 
Triggersmith
Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith

Hoof Hearted

Guys........

It is COMPLETELY legal to make your own firearm with one caveat:

You can not do so with the INTENT of selling it (this puts you in the position of manufacturing and that creates manufacturing tax and you need an 07 license to do that).

But if you do make your own firearm and then later decide to sell it that is still legal. Just follow the rules for shipping and transfering such and you will be good to go!

HH
Anonymity breeds bravado.......especially over the internet!
http://cartridgeconversion.com
http://heelbasebullet.com
aka: Mayor Maynot KILLYA SASS #8038
aka: F. Alexander Thuer NCOWS #3809
STORM #400

Triggersmith

I'm much oblidged for your information. If anyone wants some data on this pistol you can email me at:
rlhanchett@gmail.com
Again, thank you HH.
Triggersmith
Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith

Wolfgang

Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com