holster snap button for gun protection

Started by Triggersmith, January 28, 2013, 11:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triggersmith

Galco has a plastic button that fits inside the snap that is inside the holster to protect the gun from being scratched. It looks like a dime with a stud sticking up and it fits inside the snap backing.  Does anyone know where to get these. I make a lot of shoulder holsters and  the only way I can get around the problem is to put the snap back between the lining and the outer holster.  Not everyone wants a lined holster. Thanks for any help or alternative suggestion.
Triggersmith
rlhanchett@gmail.com
Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith
See my ads in Cas City Classifieds

Camano Ridge

High desert leather http://www.highdesertleather.com/id74.html they sell them in packages of 10 for $5.00 plus $2.00 shipping.

Triggersmith

Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith
See my ads in Cas City Classifieds

Trailrider

Waugh! Thet shines! I've usually just counterbored the leather to recess it, or used a thin piece of leather to cover the snap had.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Cliff Fendley

trailriders method is better, those things will still mar the finish.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

bedbugbilly

I've never lined a holster.  When I have to use a line snap for a safety strap, I take a large round punch (arched punch) and cut circles out of very light weight leather.  I then contact cement them over the snap back on the inside of the bucket.  I've never had a problem with scratches nor any of them coming off.  They hold up through the wet molding process as well as oiling if I do that.  So far, knock on wood, they've worked fine for me and a very inexpensive way to do it.

Slye

When I make an holster with safety and with snap, in order  that the snap don't touch the gun's frame, I employ this method:

the leather is cutting in his thickness , with a french splitter

and there is no metal against the gun

I hope I help you

So long

;)
Rio CORONADO & Slye BUFFALO
SASS LM 89201 & 89200
NRA  20764786

"Saddle Maker"
La Sellerie du Thymerais
selleriethymerais@orange.fr
www.selleriegb-28.com

FRANCE

Red Cent

Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

springfield

Slye: But there is still the back of the snap inside the holster, so I don't see how this helps.

bedbugbilly

+1 to your thoughts Springfield . . . I don't worry about the snap on the safety strap - that doesn't  come in contact with the firearm.  I only worry about what is inside the bucket.  I have always glued a circle of lightweight leather over the snap on the inside of the bucket and have no issues with scratches or the cover leather ever coming loose.

This is a nice way of doing the strap - what is shown in the photos.  Certainly a different way of doing it.

On a lot of my holsters, I have gone to using a second line snap on the safety strap - the conventional way of the one on the front of the bucket and a second one on the other end of the strap.  I put a line snap on the belt loop before sewing it down in place - this snap would be on the back side of the holster belt loop and facing the body.  I like to do it this way as when I'm shooting at a range or on the farm, the safety strap can either be removed completely, or unsnapped from the front of the bucket - remove the pistol and snap back in place and push the strap forward so it is in front of the bucket out of the way.  With it out of the way like that, it isn't always inthe way of the pistol when inserted into the bucket like many of the traditional ways of attaching a safety strap cause.  I have made all of my CCW holsters (my personal ones) in this manner as I carry on the belt.  The line snap on the belt loop and that end of the safety strap I don't even feel nor does it cause any discomfort.

Just another way of doing a safety strap.

Cliff Fendley

I thought what Slye was showing was how to put a snap on a thumb break strap.

If it's inside the holster bucket you need to do one of three things. Position it so it doesn't rub the gun, put a thin leather patch over the snap or line the holster.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com