Another question on "spots" yet again . . .

Started by bedbugbilly, January 24, 2013, 06:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedbugbilly

O.K.  I know I'm getting senile, but . . . .

I checked out the "spots" thread that was recently on here and I KNOW that I read a link to a source for solid brass spots . . . but do you think I can find it?

Can someone give the link again for a source or sources for various size solid brass spots - rounds and other shapes?  I have some of the "brass plated" ones from Tandy but I want something that I can polish and then "antique" and I'm not overly impressed with the brass plated ones from Tandy.

Also . . . since some of you will be reading this that have experience with spots . . . just how frequently were they used on holsters and gear in the 1880s and 90s?  Most of the holsters that I'm seeing in Packing Iron from those times seem to be "un adorned".  Were they that common or are they more of the "Hollywood" origin?

Thanks in advance for a link - am looking for a source for the solid brass that can be purchased in quantity.

ChuckBurrows

Standard Rivet has them in solid brass, nickle plate over brass, solid nickle - nickle plate over brass was the most common type of harness spots used on cowboy gear in the 1865-1930 period.
http://www.standardrivet.com/spots.php
Harness spots were even used prior to the 1865-1930 time frame, but they were used sparingly until the mid-late 1890's or so when they became very popular amongst not only real cowboys, but also wild west and rodeo performers (most of whom were or had been real cowboys). Rather than Hollywood, which really did not have much impact on style until post 1910 or so, IMO wild west shows and the early rodeos (often part of the WW show - they both date back to the early 1880's) had a far greater impact on the decoration of the day.
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Marshal Will Wingam

Interesting bit of information, Chuck. I didn't realize the 1800's influenced the development of the Hollywood look. Thanks for that.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

bedbugbilly

Thank you Chuck for the link - I think that is the one I was looking for.  Thank you also for the information - interesting and it gives me a different perspective on the use of them - greatly appreciate it!   :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com