Want to make a Money Belt. Where to get leather?

Started by Izzoquazzo, January 14, 2013, 02:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Izzoquazzo

I would like to make a money belt, 3" finished preferred rough side out. Where can I get the leather and what exactly do I order?

Bugscuffle

The first thing that you will learn about buying leather is that the less you buy the more it costs. Most leather suppliers are used to doing business with us "little guys" in increments of about 25 sq ft. to several hundred square feel. Generally you would buy the part of the hide that will work best for your project. If you only wqnt to try your hand at one belt, then you may want to look into a local hobby store that sells leather or Tandy Leather at:
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/home.aspx
Just look over the catalog. The have cut shapes and belt blanks and leather straps that would fit your bill and you don't have to buy the whole darned herd to get one belt.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Cliff Fendley

I'd be willing to bet Tandy or other hobby stores will not have precut blanks for a money belt but I've been wrong before so who knows.

A 3" wide money belt will take a strip of leather approx 7 1/8 inch wide the length of the belt. It's no small piece of leather.

Then you need some 8-10 oz strips for the billets and a 3-4 or 4-5 oz strip for the bullet loops.

I generally use as close to 4oz as I can get for the belt body.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Trailrider

Quote from: Cliff Fendley on January 15, 2013, 08:22:20 AM
I'd be willing to bet Tandy or other hobby stores will not have precut blanks for a money belt but I've been wrong before so who knows.
A 3" wide money belt will take a strip of leather approx 7 1/8 inch wide the length of the belt. It's no small piece of leather.
Then you need some 8-10 oz strips for the billets and a 3-4 or 4-5 oz strip for the bullet loops.
I generally use as close to 4oz as I can get for the belt body.

Pard,
Ya took the words right offn my keyboard!  :)  For a money belt he'd be best off buying a 4-5 oz side of Tandy/Leather Factory veg-tanned (Craftsman or Live Oak).  If you are going to do a rough-out, best look at the back side of the hide for blemishes, etc. If you are going to sew on cartridge loops and only want the stitching to go through the outside layer of the belt, then sew them and the tongue and buckle billet on first. Then fold (fold at the bottom) the leather over. I run a line of glue along the two edges, glue the edges together and stitch along the seam.  Wet the entire belt and use a rolling pin (I have an old piece of steel that weighs about a ton) to press the fold flat. (Note, I generally stitch the buckle billet to the outisde layer at the end that stays open, and stitch the tongue and the cartridge loops through both layers of the belt. You aren't going to stick anything that far into the inside of the belt, and it makes for a more stable belt. Take your pick.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Cliff Fendley

I put all my bullet loops and both billets on before stitching the main seam up. I like to fill them up with loops so there wouldn't be much room inside the open end. Otherwise what Trailrider said would be the way to go. Cut your belt along the back because that is usually the leather with the least stretch.

Johnson County Rangers

Izzoquazzo

Massive

There is a really good build along here, with a lot of detail and a lot of other threads

Izzoquazzo

Quote from: Massive on January 17, 2013, 12:45:26 AM
There is a really good build along here, with a lot of detail and a lot of other threads

I'm sorry. What build along?

TexasToby

I am considering making one out of canvas. No bullet loops. This would be worn under the shirt. I made a guy a regular belt and I put a money pocket just a few inches behind the buckle. I made this pocket out of pig skin. The belt was 1 1/2" wide and the pocket was sewn in and the thread was not noticed because of the stamping on the belt and the dye. The pocket was only long enough for some bills folded length wise together and put in there. Say up to 5 or 6 bills. This guy ordered a belt and nothing was said about a money pocket but, he sure did like it. I might add he is a long haul coast to coast truck driver. He could put several 100 dollar bills in there. Since he didn't order a money belt, I didn't charge him for the money pocket. It was the first I made and he sure did like it and tried to pay me for it but I just told him to tell some of his friends that might want one. I can't put a picture up because I am on my wife's laptop and don't have any of my pics on here. I ordered me some canvas but I have got too much going right now to start on that. Will try to add pics when I get my pc fixed.
Swinging a rope is alot of fun unless, your neck is in the loop.

TexasToby

I'll try to put a pic up.
Swinging a rope is alot of fun unless, your neck is in the loop.

Camano Ridge

Massive might have been reffering to this thread http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,43267.msg543342.html#msg543342
not a true build along, however Cliff Fendley and others discuss how they make their money belts including thickness of leather how to do the fold etc.

Marshal Will Wingam

Hey, that looks good, Toby. I like the fold-over flap instead of a zipper.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Red Cent

Reading posts/threads from 2006, 2008, 2010, and 2012, questions come to mind.

Cliff, using 4-5 oz leather and stitching the billet(s) to the outside layer only, won't the leather stretch unevenly?

Were any of the moneybelts of the era that used two strips stitched top and bottom?

Wouldn't strategic stitching reinforce the belt and fence off an area to be used for the hidden compartment? Or would it defeat the comfort of the belt?

Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

1961MJS

Quote from: Red Cent on January 24, 2013, 09:17:51 PM
Reading posts/threads from 2006, 2008, 2010, and 2012, questions come to mind.

Cliff, using 4-5 oz leather and stitching the billet(s) to the outside layer only, won't the leather stretch unevenly?

Were any of the moneybelts of the era that used two strips stitched top and bottom?

Wouldn't strategic stitching reinforce the belt and fence off an area to be used for the hidden compartment? Or would it defeat the comfort of the belt?

Well, on the last part, I know one thing.  If you HAVE a gold piece and stick the cartridge rings all of the way through and don't stitch all of the way top to bottom, the gold piece will end up at the closed end of Mr. Money belt.  No, personal experience but Mr. Murphy raised me.

Later Y'all

Cliff Fendley

I haven't had any trouble with uneven stretching with 4-5 oz. With the thinner 3-4 oz it is more likely and any are more likely the wider they are. I guess any of them may if they get wet while worn tight.

I've seen several originals and even old pictures of very wide belts where it looks like the outer layer has stretched uneven so I really don't see a problem. It's kind of like the discussion a while back about the cartridges printing the back of the belt, to me it and adds character if you want an authentic belt.

In the day a gun belt likely would have seen more wear in a week than a lot of shooters will wear one in a year.

On a cattle drive they went through rain, snow, river crossing, etc and may have worn a rig until it dried around them. A lot of the cowboys I see today head for shelter when it starts sprinkling rain.

Johnson County Rangers

Red Cent

Cliff, we certainly do not run for cover if it rains. Cowboys these days are innovative.

Carries 21 long guns, equipment of 10 cowpokes, cooler on the front, and four cowpokes. The others walk.

SASS29170L

Cliff Fendley

Johnson County Rangers

Mean Bob Mean

Quote from: Izzoquazzo on January 14, 2013, 02:26:34 PM
I would like to make a money belt, 3" finished preferred rough side out. Where can I get the leather and what exactly do I order?

Check any local arts and crafts stores and see if the don't have either onsite or know of offsite a leatherworking class.  Go to the class, talk to the instructor.  They can answer the question and well might have a piece of leftover stock which they know will work for you at a adecent price.

Good luck and post your finished product!
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Marshal Will Wingam

That's good advice, MBM. Haven't seen you in here before. Welcome to the forum.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Red Cent

"In the day a gun belt likely would have seen more wear in a week than a lot of shooters will wear one in a year."

From 2000 to 2007, there was a contingent of cowboys who traveled to local shoots and every annual State shoot from Maryland to Florida. We attended the NE Regional and the SE Regional matches. Including trip to Moriarty,, NM. We ate more prime rib, drank more booze, shot so many bullets, burnt fuel like crazy, and had more fun than a cowboy should. We sweated, we froze. Snow sleet, rain, 99 degrees, didn't matter. Holy.....we had a good time and paid some light bills for Outback.
SASS29170L

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com