Author Topic: reloading  (Read 8873 times)

Offline blue drifter

• semper fi blue drifter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
reloading
« on: October 01, 2005, 08:45:10 AM »
pards if you would be so kind

as of now I do not reload, but I'm going to start.I'm new to shooting and I don't hunt. I would like to load 45 colt
for cowboy shooting, also 12 ga. shotgun. their are so many different kinds of loaders out there, I would like to know what is the best to buy?????          thanks for the help  ??? ??? ???
semper fi, dav, blue drifter

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: reloading
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 08:56:21 AM »
Drifter, it's a sad thing to answer a question with a question - but - do ya know someone close by that rolls their own?  Payin' 'em a visit to look over their equipment is the best way to get a handle on what ya might wanna start with.

If yer not in that position, look over the stuff on Lee's site.  It works and it isn't expensive.  With the exception of a poorly executed scale it's all serviceable and a good way to start.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 09:29:46 AM »
I started with Lee equipment and I am pleased with it. Lee says "not" to use Federal primers in their Lee Auto Prime II.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:52:58 AM »

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 11:14:20 AM »
The press you buy will be partially dependant on the volume of ammo you need, and on the contents of your bank account  :o

If you shoot a lot, you'll need a high volume press like the Dillon 650.  If you only need a 3 or 400 a month, then the Dillon 550 or a Dillon SDB or the Lee Pro 1000 (though not as well built as the Dillon, and the warranety isn't nearly as good) will handle it.  If you're only gonna shoot 1-200 a month, and have plenty of time, you can use a single stage press like the RCBS Rockchucker.

I'm a big fan of Dillon.  While I don't shoot nearly the volume I used to (I'm down to about 1500 a month), I still don't want to spend much time loading.  So my Dillon 650 is a great solution.  I can load up the ammo I need for the month in about 2 hours.  Quick and easy!

So, it depends on what you want to spend and how much ammo you need.

For shotshells, unless you're shooting every weekend (and even then), it may not make sense to roll your own.  It still ends up running $2.50 to $3 to load up a box of shells.  Factor in around $100 for a press and the payback takes quite a while.

Doc

Offline blue drifter

• semper fi blue drifter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 01:59:43 PM »
arcey, buffalo creek, and doc shaprio

I thank you guys very much; I have A dillon cat. and modern reloading by richard lee. but they all claim to be the best,I want to buy one that I don't have to say' boy I wish I got this or that. I would like to get all I will need right off the bat ( mabey some add-ons later ) money is not as important as buying overkill or something i'm going to say ( I should of got ) this or that ;) now that you know were I stand, whats the bottom line. ;) thanks again

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 02:20:31 PM »
First off, get a good reloading manual read it cover to cover and figure out what your going to do before you even think about buying.  Find someone who reloads and watch them, perferably one who does not have problems with the ammo they load. ;D

Always use the data developed by the ballistic labs, not someone in their basement.  If someone gives you a load, check it against established data before you use it.

Thats a good start.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 02:56:31 PM »
Drifter, whatever you buy now will likely not be your last press.  Make as realistic evaluation as you can as to the amount of shooting you'll be doing over a month time.  Include practice, matches, etc.  Then decide how much time you want to spend doing it.  The result of that will determine what you buy.

For me, time is the biggest issue as I have 2 youngsters and I like to spend time with them.  So I got the fastest press I could reasonably afford.  It's been great, but I did end up spending close on $1000 for it.

Now I only need to spend a few hours a month loading.  It's real nice!

Offline blue drifter

• semper fi blue drifter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2005, 03:00:27 PM »
thanks del,
 I don't have anybody to watch just yet, but I would like to get the loader. I'm just not sure which one to buy

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 02:46:14 PM »
Bblue drifter, Doc is giving you good advice.  Try and determine how many practice loads you're going to need per month and how many loads you're going to be using for matches per month.  How valuable is your time?

We started out with a couple of Lee auto indexing turret presses.  He loaded his ammo and I loaded mine side by side.  They are way cheap!  But the more matches that we started shooting the more time that we were spending out in the garage laoding ammo.  It finally got to be too much so we switched to a Dillon 650.  Now we load enough ammo for the month in the time that it used to take us to load for one match. 

We have about $1000 in the Dillon too.  With the 650 you can add on the powder check which checks each case as it goes through.  If the powder in the case is too high or too low you get and alarm.  I wouldn't even think about buying another progressive press that didn't have that capability.

Another thing that you need if you are going to produce a lot of ammo is a case feeder.  I can't imagine doing without the low primer alert either.  Also check out what it takes to change the caliber that you are loading.  You may find out down the raod that you need to load another caliber in addition to what you start with.  I can swap out between .45 and .38 calibers on the 650 in about 15 minutes and I'm getting quicker at it each time.

Oh, you may want to look around at resale value.  I'm pretty sure that with Dillons no BS warranty (and it really works) that if you should decide to sell the Dillon a year after you buy it that you would take very little loss on it.  I'm not sure how other presses hold thier value.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline blue drifter

• semper fi blue drifter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 09:13:50 AM »
thanks camille
  I just ordered A lee delux kit w/some extras, once I get used to it I think it will be good enought. I just loading
for me,but my wife wants to start also so we will see but thank you and everyone else for the help.

Offline Matthew Duncan

• Cutter’s Raiders# 13
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 23189
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 01:40:21 PM »
I reload only 45s so I went with a http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?maj=6&dyn=1&cookieClean=1

Reload 200 to 400 rounds a month and the Square Deal works like a charm.

Learning to operate was easy and I still have all ten fingers.

Figure I went from store bought at 50 cents a round to less then 8 cents for reloads (I pour my own bullets).

Shotgun shells?  $5 a box equals 20 cents a round.  I can't reload for less money.
Major General J.E.B. Stuart's Division
Captain 1st Maryland Artillery, C.S.A.
SASS# 23189

Disclaimer:  I have not slept in any hotel recently, not a certified CAS rule web lawyer.  Have not attended any RO III or RO VI classes.  Opinions expressed are by a cowpoke who believes the year is 1868.

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 10:21:25 PM »
Now it maybe thet Ah'm a dinosaur but I "handload" mah .45's with a Lee "Pistol Reloader Kit," Ah'm sure thet y'u don't wannta go thar. but I have all the time in the world, seein as Ah'm retired. It takes me 'bout two (2) hours ta load a box o bullets frum scratch to the finished product. But I enjoy the heck outta it 'n sides it keeps me busy an outa trouble, try it y'u might like it. Ah load 'bout 300 rounds on a good week thet keeps me goin fer 4 r 5 weekends at the shootin range. like the feller says " I may be slow, but I'm mostly accurate."

"Never apologize Mr. ; it's a sign of weakness" "Capt. Nathan Brittles [ John Wayne, in She Wore a Yellow Ribbon]

CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Memphis Mortician

• Citizen
    • Henry Repeating Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2006, 09:52:21 AM »
It's true, it just doesn't pay to reload shot shells. That being said I'm going out tomorrow and buying a Mec 650. Why? I really enjoy loading 45 and 9mm and shot shells look like a lot of fun. Also it seems that everytime I need shells it's at a very inconveinient time for me to go out and get them. On top of that the selection at the local shops is always hit or miss. So to sum it up I'm going to load for kicks (maybe a little less kick) and consistency.

Offline Howdy Doody

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2006, 12:56:25 PM »
For shotgun I like the Mec Sizemaster a lot. It isn't the fastest by any means but it does a good job on found hulls. I only reload hulls once with BP and I do a lot of dumpster diving to find decent hulls to reload. The sizing at the first stage always ensures the brass is back into shape. I started loading shotgun on a Lee Loadall and although it works just fine, I had issues with the primer set up and never did use the powder side of the press. I dipped the powder into the hulls. With the Mec I use a universal bar and load both powder and shot from the bottles on the press. I think that even with the universal bar, it was still under $200 shipped and I can do 100-125  shotgun shells hour usually.
I started on a Lyman turret press that was of course single stage for cartridge, but my shooting got more often and I had trouble keeping up, so I too got a Dillon 650, did some converting for BP and haven't looked back. Although I could have bought a nice rifle or handgun for the price, it has saved me countless hours reloading and has paid for itself in that way.
Reloading is actually enjoyable to me. It did take me trying other stuff to find out just what was right for me.  :)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Offline law dawg

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2006, 01:52:40 PM »
I'm going to get into loading myself, and I was looking in my Cabella's master catalog last night and they don't have a rcbs rockchucker advertised.  Is that the correct name for it or is that a nickname?  Also does anyone have rcbs or the lee website handy they can give out?

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2006, 06:33:01 PM »
I'm going to get into loading myself, and I was looking in my Cabella's master catalog last night and they don't have a rcbs rockchucker advertised.  Is that the correct name for it or is that a nickname?  Also does anyone have rcbs or the lee website handy they can give out?

You might try midway usa.com they carry both

I  just come in from the shop....I loaded by hand a box of BP .12gauge rounds about one hour give or take cause I fuss with things too much.  Cost I honestly couldn't give and accurate figure. I'm sure cheaper than I could buy Holy Black shot shells. Why because it keeps me from spending more money on CAS stuff on the internet. No really I just like fussing with things, and I like to annoy people at matches with the SMOKE.  I see Lee and Mec shell loaders in the local trader with hulls shot powder etc, all the time for around $100. I can go to Dick's or Gander Mtn and buy a 100 pack for $15.00 or less.
Mathew 5.9

Offline BlaiseNSaddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2006, 07:36:38 PM »
Well, I looked at a lot and asked a lot of questions.  I never reloaded in my life until about a year ago.
I ended up getting a Hornady lock and load progessive that was on sale. 
It has proven to be quite good.
I started out with 45LC then to 45 S&W and added 45-70.

One reason for me is that I always wanted to do black powder (though now using subs) and Hornady had a specific hopper for the stuff (OK, so the plastic hopper seems to been laid to rest, I went with what was written at the time).

Shotshells I bought until deciding to try some brass MagTech.  Used the same press to seat primers with by using a Lyman ram prime and load with an inexpensive Lee Load All.

Just finished today getting 100 shotshells together and about 400 rounds of mixed 45 S&W and 45LC put together.

Lots of learnig, questions and some of just trying some in the local shops. 

Offline Coyote Tim

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2006, 09:53:39 PM »
I started out with the Lee Aniversery Kit for about $75.00. I did blow about $100.00 for a Hornady digital scale because I didn't like the Lee manual scale, but other than that, I used nothing else for months. I've since upgraded to a heavy duty Redding press and an RCBS powder dispenser, (note: I like the cheapo plastic Lee dispenser better.) I'm still loading using a single stage press because I prefer to weight every charge. Which ever way you decide to go, HEED ALL THE SAFETY WARNINGS. They're there for a reason. Once you get started, you'll love it.
SASS # 69135
"Better judged by 12 than carried by 6"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com