Winchester May Reintroduce The 1873

Started by Wes Tancred, December 28, 2012, 04:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranch 13

Sure hope they get the 38wcf version out sooner rather than later. :D
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

MJN77

As I said earlier, it comes down to weather you want an Italian copy of an 1873 or a Japanese copy with the modern "lawyer devices". Compare Winchester's version of the 1886 rifle...http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=024C&mid=534175 ...to the Italian (Chiappa) version...http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/826. The Italian copies are by far closer to the original guns than the Japanese versions, and I own one of the Japanese guns. The quality is fantastic, but it isn't a 100% faithful copy of the originals. If that doesn't bother you, great. Buy one. You won't be disappointed. I love the three Japanese guns I have. If you want something closer to the Winchesters of 100+ years ago, get a Uberti. You won't be disappointed with that either.

Ranch 13

I've got a number of the Miroku built winchester and Browning around here, and by and large they are all higher quality than some of the original Winchesters I grew up with.
I also went thru some of the Italian stuff back in the late 70's, about the only thing I could see they had going for them , you didn't have to worry to much about the bores being pitted.  The wood is wrong, it's finished wrong, and while they look like a winchester they don't truly feel like one. Just like the SAA clones are alright, but you can tell the minute you put one in your hand , it's not a colt.
I'll patiently wait to see if they bring this new 73 out in 38wcf and then make a mad scramble to get one bought. ;)
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Marshal Deadwood

If the new 'real' 73 Winchester is like the new 'real' '86...give me a Uberti. The wood is too thick,,thicker than even the italians..the two new '86's if fondled,,,was like fondling fence post..almost make a 336 Marlin feel graceful. And the 1895 CB 45-70 Marlin,,is a much more streamline, graceful rifle than the 'new' 86 Winchesters.

Now,,the imported 1886's might be a little closer to a real Winchester. But,,sadly,,the new 'real' ones miss by a mile.

MJN77

QuoteIf the new 'real' 73 Winchester is like the new 'real' '86...give me a Uberti. The wood is too thick,,thicker than even the italians..the two new '86's if fondled,,,was like fondling fence post..almost make a 336 Marlin feel graceful. And the 1895 CB 45-70 Marlin,,is a much more streamline, graceful rifle than the 'new' 86 Winchesters.

Now,,the imported 1886's might be a little closer to a real Winchester. But,,sadly,,the new 'real' ones miss by a mile.

I love my "real" 1886, but I cannot argue with anything you said. The front stock is very think. I even has a "pot belly" going. The butt stock isn't that bad to me at least. All in all, I wouldn't say it feels like a "fence post", but it could have been more "streamlined". But she's accurate as all get out. I still love it, but the reason I bought it is that I got it for about $350 less than the Chiappa version. In pics of the new "real" 1873, it has the same firing pin set up and front stock appearance that the "real" 1886 has. To me it just kinda looks....."off" somehow. I do love my Uberti 1873 "winnie" with the 24" octagonal barrel in .44 WCF. Oh yeah, I agree about the Marlin 1895 CB wholeheartedly. I bought one for my dad.

Grizzly Adams

I have one of these on order with Davidsons.  My gun guy says they told him he would get  one of the first to shown up.  I suspect that will be shortly after the Shot Show.  Got my sweaty little fingers crossed! ;D  Will post pics and impressions if and when it happens.... :)

As for the caliber, 38/357 is just the ticket for those of us who shoot CAS - and a round barrel is just frosting on the cake.  I will be interested to see what they have done internally.......like all the others, nothing that can't be "adjusted." ;)

I suspect that this "historical" model will follow the pattern of all the others, and be released in limited numbers, in various configurations, and calibers.  Hmmmm....maybe I should wait for the SRC in 44WCF.....or 38/367. :D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Rowdy Fulcher

Howdy
We all hope that the 1873 will make a big come back . We hope that they will offer the original calibers and configurations . If they sell , they will keep making them . And if they don't sell ,well we know . So go out and buy you a 73 .

Grizzly Adams

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
GAF

Rowdy Fulcher

Grizzly Adams
Thanks for posting the 2 links . I sure hope they make that same rifle in 44wcf . A short rifle with a round barrel , that will be great to hunt with or what ever you want to do with it . I like the rear sight ,and the walnut stock was nice looking .

Grizzly Adams

Hi, Rowdy.

I'm with you; I would love to see this rifle offered in 44WCF - just ain't right not to!  If Winchester follows the pattern we have seen with all of these "heritage" series rifles (92,86,95,71) then we can look forward to a "new release" on different calibers and configurations and finishes.  Already, the Winchester 1873 is available in a deluxe version with higher grade wood and a case hardened finish - and did I mention that a SRC is also hot on the heals of this one.  This is going to be fun - and expensive, LOL. ;D
GAF

Rowdy Fulcher

Griz
Hey I'm glad they are finally doing WHAT they should of done 25 years ago . And it doesn't appear to have no BUTT ugly safeties .

Marshal Deadwood

Well,,,it is kinda seductive..and if they offer it in 44WCF,,I might have to do something expensive,,,,,ummmmm

Rowdy Fulcher

Marshal
We need to start saving our lunch money , I want a round barrel 44wcf 1873 . I hope they offer a 24 inch barrel .

Marshal Deadwood

I hear ya Rowdy....lookin' for a quart jar as we speak. The one I'm wanting to see bad is the 24" barrel in 44WCF,,eh ? !! Id pair that baby with my USFA preminum  7 1/2", old frame, in .44WCF and take'em to the grave with me.

Fox Creek Kid

Fellas, bear in mind that the Winchester of today is not the same co. of lore. That died in 1931 and the last successor died in 2006 when USRA shut the doors for good at the old factory. Everything made today is licensed by Olin and made by FN or Miroku in Japan. This current rifle is made in Japan and to be frank I'd damn near bet money a 44-40 will never see the light of day for two reasons:

1.  CAS membership has declined greatly since 2000

2.  the vast majortiy shoot smokeless .38.

USRA should have done this 15 yrs. ago. Maybe that's why they went broke.  ;)

The Pathfinder

>:( Was just reading the latest issue of Guns of the Old West (came in today's mail), and their take on the new Winchester is that it'll only be made in 38/357 and will only be made for this year to commemorate the 140th anniversary of the '73. No other way to put it... THAT SUCKS if its true. If you're gonna commemorate the '73 do it in 44! ???

Grizzly Adams

Quote from: The Pathfinder on February 19, 2013, 05:04:55 PM
>:( Was just reading the latest issue of Guns of the Old West (came in today's mail), and their take on the new Winchester is that it'll only be made in 38/357 and will only be made for this year to commemorate the 140th anniversary of the '73. No other way to put it... THAT SUCKS if its true. If you're gonna commemorate the '73 do it in 44! ???

I believe nothing I read anymore, and maybe half of what I actually see! ;D  I don't know, but 140 does not have that special ring to it that 150 has. :)  Fear not, Amigos;  Winchester is in the business of making money.  If this rifle sells, you can bet the farm there will be more. ;)
GAF

The Pathfinder

Griz, I can only hope that you're right and the article was wrong. I'd love to see one in 44, but won't hold my breath. That's why I'm trying to resurect three original second models.One has a round barrel, one has a set trigger and the third is a complete build up from parts. Wonderful winter projects, but becoming very expensive. ::)

Grizzly Adams

I hear ya pard. 

Good luck with your projects.  I hope you have all of the parts for that set trigger.  Those often Costner than a nice rifle !

GA
GAF

El Coyote

I wish Ruger or Colt would come out with an American made lever gun.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com