56-50 Loading Questions

Started by paledun, December 19, 2012, 07:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paledun

I have searched the SSS site for comments on loading 56-50 with a 300 grain bullet.  Finding nothing, thought I would ask if any SSS members have experience with this bullet or comments regarding my initial loads.  I was given a few 300 gr bullets sold by Buffalo Arms with their item number 512300.  The RNFP bullet measures .634 in length and .512 in width.  There is a crimp ring at .3 inches from the base which makes the loaded cartridge length 1.5 inches in length.  Comparing my reload to a original Spencer 56-50 cartridge shows the curvature of the RNFP bullet is similar to an original Spencer 56-50 rim-fire cartridge if the original's bullet's point was cut to provide a flat point.  Using Starline brass, a 34/35 grain load of 2F is compressed approximately 1/16 of an inch with the bullet inserted to the crimp ring.  Loading for the test firing will be over the top as the magazine follower is still the original for rim-fire cartridges.  My and a gunsmiths efforts have not be successful in removing the screw that keeps the follower in the tube so this problem is still to be addressed.  My questions are:  anyone have experience with the 300 gr bullet and if so, the powder load used would be useful.  Thanks in advance for the comments and advice.  Paledun

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com