Antique Roadshow Henry

Started by Crow Choker, December 14, 2012, 10:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow Choker

Was watching the Antiques Roadshow on PBS (12-13) and a guy had a Henry that according to the serial number, it was made in one of the Cival War years. It had government inspector marks on it, the stock only had a few nicks, most of the original blue was still on the barrel. Only drawbacks were some fine rust on the barrel and the magazine spring was missing. It was appraised for $35,000.

Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Shotgun Franklin

CAS started a huge rekindling of interest in the things of the Old West. Pre-CAS I could buy a SAA shooter for under $600, sometimes as cheaply as $450. Not any more. I once bought a danged near mint S&W #3 for $90, I wish I could now.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

RickB

Hey Shotgun,  I'll give you $100 for that S&W.  Just look at the profit  you'd be making.   ;)
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Shotgun Franklin

It went off on a trade years ago. I wish I currently owned 1/2 the guns I've traded or sold off.

buckskin billy

well dern i was gonna offer double what you gave for it. i hear you on missing guns you have traded off. i traded a reproduction spencer for one of those iab sharps. i sure wish i still had that spencer. but on the bright side i traded off that iab sharps for a new in the box cimarron custer saa and love that gun
" I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders"
-Ted Nugent-

if it walks, crawls, slithers or leaves a track i can tan it

http://thebuckrub.proboards.com/index.cgi?

http://thebuffalorunners.proboards.com/index.cgi

Driftwood Johnson

QuoteWas watching the Antiques Roadshow on PBS (12-13) and a guy had a Henry that according to the serial number, it was made in one of the Cival War years. It had government inspector marks on it, the stock only had a few nicks, most of the original blue was still on the barrel. Only drawbacks were some fine rust on the barrel and the magazine spring was missing. It was appraised for $35,000.

Howdy

Don't put to much credence into the appraisals done on that show. They are always on the high side. It pleases the owner of the item, and probably helps with the ratings too. You will notice that the appraiser will almost always include the caveat that the item should bring 'X' dollars at auction on a good day. Like all things, value can only actually be ascertained when the check is actually signed.

I have been to auctions where some of the guns were going for considerably less than the published estimates in the catalog. And a few have gone for considerably more. It all depends on how badly somebody actually wants the item, it sometimes has nothing to do with the official 'appraised' value. It can be pretty exciting to watch some of these high dollar items go, we are talking some really serious money here.

But back to appraisal vs actual sale price. I attended an auction a little bit over a year ago and there was a Henry that was expected to go for between $20,000-$30,000. When the gavel fell the actual price was $19,000. Nothing to sneeze at of course, but it was not the appraised value.

Of course it was really neat for me to be able to handle the Henry at the pre-sale viewing.

And yes, I have been guilty a few times of bidding significantly more than the appraised price on something because I really wanted it. Of course, I am not talking about $19,000 Henries.

What I find most interesting about this Henry that was on Antiques Road Show was that it had military inspection marks. There were only about 14,000 Henries ever made. between 1860 and 1866, most of them were made between 1862 and 1866. The large military contracts that Oliver Winchester envisioned never happened, and only 1,731 were sold to the US Government. So one with Military markings is relatively rare. Any idea what the markings were?

There is a Henry on Merz's antique firearms page right now in almost pristine condition, that he is asking $150,000 for. I suspect he may have it a long time before he gets that price.

And frankly, with high dollar items like this, I don't think the popularity of Cowboy Action Shooting has anything to do with the current high values. Most of these guns go to wealthy collectors who have no intention of shooting them, much less shooting them in any sort of competition.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Shotgun Franklin

It's not that the gunsare bought for shooting, it's just that CAS got a lot more people interested in the Old West.

Driftwood Johnson

QuoteIt's not that the gunsare bought for shooting, it's just that CAS got a lot more people interested in the Old West.

When I have attended auctions, most of the attendees have known very little about CAS, barely aware of it. Most of those guys have always had a lifelong interest in guns.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Shotgun Franklin

I don't know a CAS Shooter that doesn't want some Old West item. Demand increases prices at all levels.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com