How to 'Super Charge' Your Bullet Mold

Started by john boy, September 28, 2005, 04:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john boy

Haven't ever heard this procedure, accidentally tried it today and ... It Works!
Was casting up some 535 gr Postell bullets today in 1:30 using the Lyman 2640132 mold from a Lee bottom pour pot.  As usual, the bullets were dropping in the 527-529 gr range.

The melt temperature was 820 degrees and I thought, at this temperature, should be able to get more weight using a heavier sprue, longer fill time, etc ...

So, I fiddled and faddled and thought, why not - let me try this:

• Pressed the pour spout to the sprue hole
  • Dropped the melt so it was level or below the sprue plate
  • Dropped the mold and poured some lead on top of the sprue plate
  • Then I shoved the pour spout back into the hot melt on top of the sprue plate and held the pour handle up for about 15 seconds
  • Dropped the mold and the sprue was shaped like a donut (with the hole) and fell immediately on the bench
  • When the melt in the mold solidified ... dropped the bullet and weighed it
... 534.2 grains! ... A 7 grain increase using a bottom drop pot

So, continued this method and cast 50 bullets is the 534.1 to 535.2 range.  Now remember, this was 1:30 lead!

When I lube/sized them, said ... Geez, this bullets are hard to push into the sizer ... I'm using a 459 die.  Mic'ed a couple and the suckers were 459.5-460 at the base.

So, now, I'z thinks a Buffalo Arms 460 sizer die is in order too!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! ;D
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Fox Creek Kid

That is the very reason that every custom mould maker that I know of emphatically states that one needs to POUR good bullets from a dipper (ladle) as the bottom pour method is just not consistent.

john boy

Kid, I must be the odd man out cause:
I've heated the pot to 820 and poured using a Rowell dipper-several times.  Can't even get close to what happen with the bottom pour.
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

El Paso Pete

I understand depleted uranium is heavier than lead, that stuff should really "Super Charge" yer mould.  Might make it easier to find yer bullets in the dark too.  I believe it should be SASS legal as long as ya don't plate 'em with copper or use gas checks.
El Paso Pete   SASS #55577L  RATS #1
Mules,  Whiskey,  Diamonds,  Nails,  Gold Mines,  Fly Swatters,  Barbed Wire,  Oil Wells,  Runnin Irons.
Governments Run, Revolutions Started, Uprising Quelled, Bridges Destroyed, Saloons Emptied, Whiskey Bonded, Taxes Collected, Gold Mines Salted

EL PASO PETE'S MONEY BACK GUARANTEE
Simply return the unused portion of the product and
El Paso Pete will refund the unused portion of your money.

Paladin UK

EPP...........

Ya done got me rollin on tha floor pard!!!

Paladin (Whats gonna try sumadat urine stuff :o) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com