Knife sheath question

Started by john beattie, September 15, 2012, 01:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john beattie

Hi Guy's
Can anyone tell me what kind of strap fastening a knife sheath would have had in the old west, what i mean is most modern knives have a snap (press stud) on the retaining strap but what was used before, or were they made without the strap.

many thanks
john

WaddWatsonEllis

Hi John,

Chuck Burrows adapted this stock knife for me ... and it originally came with the ubiquitous 'snap band' ...

One of the many things he did was to make a 'keeper' to hold the knife ....

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

john beattie

Thanks Wadd that's a nice idea, and thats a nice knife and sheath as well

all the best
john

outrider

They also may have used a "finial" stud (Sam Browne stud) similar to the military holsters of the day
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

ChurchandSon

I try to "friction fit" all my sheaths that house knives with guards but if you have a loose one a leather thong stitched one end and wrapped loosely around the handle works well and is easy to manipulate with cold fingers....
I prefer pouch sheaths but them and guards don't make it.......Randy
A Pilgrim in the Unholy Land of Kydex

john beattie

The Sam Browne idea had crossed my mind Outrider i just didn't know if that was the way i may have been done but thank you

Thanks Randy that idea also sounds fine i will put it to the lad who is wanting it made and he can decide,the blade is a 10" so like you say a friction fit would work well.

many thanks
john

Cliff Fendley

Most antique bowie knives didn't have any fasteners holding it in. Nor did the push daggers I've looked at. A lot of knives didn't either.

Just as the gun holsters they fit well enough it wasn't necessary I suppose.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com