Best shotgun shell setup for the portly cowpoke

Started by Samcro, September 13, 2012, 12:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samcro

I see everyone runs a shotgun shell belt above their gun belts. What about us portly cowpokes who have a nice shed to keep out buckle dry?  Do you just run the belt on your belly or how do you carry your reload so it's easy to get to.

Cliff Fendley

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Slowhand Bob

My preference has always been at the top of the belly button.  For the portly guy, smart placement of the belt gives shell placement that the skinny guys can not fully achieve.  With the difference in body shapes it is not always easy to prescribe a 'one size fits all' solution though.  Even amongst those of us who are overweight, we do not always wear the pounds in the same way.

PS:  Keep in mind that the guns hammer can snag shells, belt loops/pouches or even tender flesh when coming out of a buried holster.   

GunClick Rick

Scootin back away from the kitchen table seems to help ::) Course granpa always said a feller should have a good shed over his tools~ ;D

Or a pump gun over and in ;)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Marshal Will Wingam

I wear my holsters on double belts. The left one is on a plain belt. That goes on first. The right one is on a prarie-style canvass belt with the buckle slid right against the holster. That leaves about 12 open loops across the front before reaching the left holster. I have a pouch on that belt near the back for any reload ammo. Absolutely no need for a shotgun belt above things. It's quick, comfortable and historically more correct. If I need more than 12 shells, I have a bandolier to put on. I may have worn that once.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Nice set up Will, those cross over belt should work well for those with a small as well as large girth, and your shot gun shells are right where they are handy to get to.

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

PJ Hardtack

I saw on the toob that the city of New York has banned 'supersized' soft drinks as 50% of New Yorkers are deemed to be obese. Other places have done the same.
Then I heard about a study that said that more rural residents were overweight than urban dwellers due to their high fat/protein diets. Logging truck drivers, maybe .....

Looks like the problem of obesity is everywhere, not environmentally specific. Looking at my red neck farmer/rancher neighbours, none of them is overweight 'cept for one who came to ranching after a career as a coastal logger, where he ate prodigiously.

One of our rancher wife friends is a Swedish blond - slim, trim and work hardened from long hard days calving, haying, etc. She just shot another wolf with her (what else?) Swedish '96 6.5x55mm. I've never seen her in anything other than blue jeans, loose fitting shirt, bandana or baseball cap, but I often wonder what she'd look like in a dress ..... ;>)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

GunClick Rick

PJ apereantley your a married man or you would already know ;D I would anyway~

Cut a rug lately mam?
wy no~
well grab dem bros and let's dose-I-doe :) :)
Say sevenish?
wy yes~ :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com