Uberti 3rd Model Dragoon with Kirst gated conversion

Started by Graveyard Jack, September 12, 2012, 09:40:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graveyard Jack

I thought folks here might be interested.

My wonderful bride bought me this Uberti 3rd Model Dragoon last Christmas, our first as a married couple. I soon after sent it to our own Hoof Hearted for a Kirst gated .45Colt conversion, some tuning and a dovetail front sight. I've had it back for a while but the front sight was so tall, I really couldn't see taking any pics with the ungainly front sight. I've finally been able to get it close to regulated and snapped some pics. It shoots well with a Hunters Supply 200gr RNFP/HP. Not quite as well with a 255gr SWC. Still need to finalize the POI and round off all the corners but it's at least a little more photogenic now. Probably get it fitted with some elk antler too. Need to get started on a holster for it. Hunting season is almost here! Yes, I'm gonna tote this big sucker.

SASS #81,827

Bonnie_blue1861

Since no one commented on it yet...your conversion Walker is a sweet looking gun. I'm planning to do the same conversion on an Uberti. I just need to find a used Uberti Walker first,  to do the conversion on my own.  

Every so often someone puts unwanted Kirst conversion parts up for sale...I've been keeping an eye out for 2-3 months but none so far.

Also...I really like your 1860 transition. One of my favorite revolvers for sure. That's another revolver that I'm looking to pick up, if I can find one at a decent price.

Great guns...your a lucky man....not just because you own the guns but you also have a wife who obviously loves you. Nothing says love more than a wife who is willing to buy her husband a nice new six gun.

wildman1

I believe the Walker has a little longer barrel than that Dragoon. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Tornado

A Kirst/Dragoon conversion is on my list to get one day, I want to have the cylinder reamed out to accept .45 Blackpowder Magnum too. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_Black_Powder_Magnum_(.45_BPM) ) I like how the Dragoon makes the 1860 look like a pocket gun!  Great looking pair!

Trailrider

Quote from: wildman1 on October 01, 2012, 04:52:28 AM
I believe the Walker has a little longer barrel than that Dragoon. WM

The Dragoon models incorporated a loading lever latch (as can be seen in the photos), as well as shorter barrels. The Dragoon sported a 9-inch barrel, whereas the Dragoons have 7-1/2". The M1860 Colt's have 8" tubes.

What sort of holster are you looking for? A period-appropriate one or something good-looking, but a bit more functional?
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

wildman1

Quote from: Trailrider on October 01, 2012, 11:36:01 AM
The Dragoon models incorporated a loading lever latch (as can be seen in the photos), as well as shorter barrels. The Dragoon sported a 9-inch barrel, whereas the Dragoons have 7-1/2". The M1860 Colt's have 8" tubes.

What sort of holster are you looking for? A period-appropriate one or something good-looking, but a bit more functional?
I'm assuming you mean the Walker sports a 9" barrel, at least my pair does.  :P WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Graveyard Jack

Thanks for the kind words! Here's a shot of the Slim Jim I just finished for it.

SASS #81,827

Bonnie_blue1861

Quote from: Tornado on October 01, 2012, 07:31:14 AM
A Kirst/Dragoon conversion is on my list to get one day, I want to have the cylinder reamed out to accept .45 Blackpowder Magnum too. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_Black_Powder_Magnum_(.45_BPM) ) I like how the Dragoon makes the 1860 look like a pocket gun!  Great looking pair!

Heck...I remember reading a thread recently were a fellow did a .45BPM conversion but now I really want to do a conversion with a Walker.

Also..your holster really turned out nice. Very nice styling which looks authentic ...not Hollywood. Real nice partner to the Walker.

And yea..that Walker does make a 1860 framed gun look a little small. I guess that's why people call the Walker a saddle gun...and Josey Wales had to wear them around his waist.

Graveyard Jack

Thanks again for the kind words!

PS, it's a 3rd model Dragoon, not a Walker. The Dragoon is a successor to the Walker but the Walker has a 1.5" longer barrel and a longer cylinder. Several ounces heavier.
SASS #81,827

santee

Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Bonnie_blue1861

Quote from: CraigC on October 01, 2012, 11:36:22 PM
Thanks again for the kind words!

PS, it's a 3rd model Dragoon, not a Walker. The Dragoon is a successor to the Walker but the Walker has a 1.5" longer barrel and a longer cylinder. Several ounces heavier.

Whoops...in all the excitement, I apparently wasn't following what I was looking at or reading for that matter. I think I must have Walker overload on the mind. It didn't even register that the loading arm was secured on place. Guess I should have noticed that you kept typing "Dragoon"...not Walker....clearly not a Walker. Ok...

Let me start over now..."wow your Dragoon sure is pretty...your a luck man to own it." ;D

Graveyard Jack

SASS #81,827

Coffinmaker

I think it's terrible!  'Cause it ain't mine.  A big Dragoon is about the only conversion I don't have  ;D

Coffinmaker

Slowhand Bob

I almost bit on a SASS Classifieds add a few minutes ago but alas, it was a Walker instead of the 3rd Model Dragoon.  It was for a Walker with an extra cartridge cylinder.  Shame, good price but the wrong model gun! 

Bonnie_blue1861

Quote from: Slowhand Bob on October 04, 2012, 07:55:04 AM
I almost bit on a SASS Classifieds add a few minutes ago but alas, it was a Walker instead of the 3rd Model Dragoon.  It was for a Walker with an extra cartridge cylinder.  Shame, good price but the wrong model gun! 

I saw your post earlier today and headed over there this afternoon. The price way fair, so I couldn't pass up on the deal.

Slowhand Bob

Good fer you pard, I saw that you got it when I went back to slobber over it some more!  The price did look real good and I hope it turns out to be a bargain fer ye.  Take some pictures and do us up a report when you can shake her out some.

Bonnie_blue1861

Quote from: Slowhand Bob on October 04, 2012, 10:28:57 PM
Good fer you pard, I saw that you got it when I went back to slobber over it some more!  The price did look real good and I hope it turns out to be a bargain fer ye.  Take some pictures and do us up a report when you can shake her out some.

I'm anxious to see it myself...I figured it was a good deal, considering the Walker's listed as being in very good condition and it comes with both the BP cylinder and a R&D 45LC too. Some scratches and dings don't bother me, as long as the timing and barrel/cylinder alignment is on.

Eventually my intent will be to convert this over to devoted cartridge revolver, using a Kirst kit. That way, I can load it right through a gate,  but in the meantime.... I'll still be able to enjoy the best of both worlds.

Now I just have to keep my eye out for someone looking to part with their Kirst Konversion kit for an Uberti....the long search and wait begins.

I'll have to post some photos when it arrives.

Bonnie_blue1861

I forgot to follow up on that Walker I purchased last month...Real nice piece...I'll have to get some photos posted of it.

Graveyard Jack

SASS #81,827

Hoof Hearted

CraigC

Ya know that sight was tall so you could regulate it to yer load, right? ::)
Glad you are happy with it, keep up the good work!

HH
Anonymity breeds bravado.......especially over the internet!
http://cartridgeconversion.com
http://heelbasebullet.com
aka: Mayor Maynot KILLYA SASS #8038
aka: F. Alexander Thuer NCOWS #3809
STORM #400

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com