frizzle, fracking mucho unprint boots....

Started by tarheel mac, September 23, 2005, 08:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tarheel mac

Okay guys, my boots are objects of torture.  I've had for over 6 mos, worn them regularly, and can't get the stupid things to fit right and be even moderately comfortable in any way at all.  They're way too tight across the arches, ride on the various corns and bunions I have picked up over the years, and generally a real pain in the feet...(and regions somewhat higher...)

They were cheapies, but 25-30 years ago I picked up a pair of "stovepipe" style from an el cheapo store and putting them on was like having a beautiful princess kiss your feet...no break in at all, most comfortable foot wear I have ever had...but sadly, they are long gone...(so is the store I got them from...)

I can't possibly afford to put out $400-$500 bucks for a custom maker...any ideas, group?

Joyce (AnnieLee)

The Old West Shop at the Frontier Fort in Nebraska.

1-800-327-5567 ext 199

Talk to Terry or Glen.

If anyone can fit you, they can.

Annie< No, I don't get paid for this, but they are friends of mine>Lee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Silver Creek Slim

NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Forty Rod

Listen to Annie.  Then listen to Glen or Terry.

I got a pair maybe six months ago and wear them almost every day because they are so much more comfortable than my other boots.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

jiminy criquet

In my opinion boots are something that one has to try on in person, not order by mail or internet.  Find a decent Western Store in your area and go try on some boots.  Start cheap and work your way up.  When you find the pair that fits you'll know it...they should be comfortable from the get-go.  If they aren't comfortable, don't buy them. 'Break-in' is bs for boots that don't fit right.
Oh, and always wear a good pair of moderately thick socks to try on boots....you want them to fit a little loose..  The reason being that people's feet swell up the longer they are on their feet.  By the end of the day your feet are a different 'size' than they were in the morning.

Joyce (AnnieLee)

Jiminy, until I talked to Terry and Glen, I'd agree with you. Not anymore. I've known guys who have gone to store after store, trying on boots and getting more frustrated with each trip... and then they called the Fort. These folks know boots.

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Nasty Lady

jiminy criquet

You're "disagreeing'" with me an awful lot lately...now aren't you? :)

Hey, whatever floats your boat.  I prefer to find 'em myself.

Joyce (AnnieLee)

Quote from: jiminy criquet on September 23, 2005, 10:11:29 AM

Two topics in a year? I'm not sweating it. ;)

QuoteHey, whatever floats your boat.  I prefer to find 'em myself.
Go for it! Have fun!

:D

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Nasty Lady

Derby Younger

Quote from: jiminy criquet on September 23, 2005, 10:11:29 AM

Hey, whatever floats your boat.  I prefer to find 'em myself.

Hmmmm............interesting.

Silver Creek Slim

NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Irish Red O'Toole

I concur that the Old West Shop is the place you want to shop.  They will treat you right and their boots are first rate.  Talk to Terry or Glen.

Marshal Halloway

I want to follow up on this and I agree with Annie. I talked to Terry today and ordered myself a new pair of boots. He did his very best to make sure I got the right size. Now, if they won't fit, it will be my fault, not his.

Their new line of cowboy boots is worth looking into.

Have a look at http://www.fortfrontier.com/oldwest%20mens%20boot%20page.htm

If you have any questions, call 1-800-327-5567 ext 199. Terry or Del.

About going to the local stores, yes, it is one option to do, but there are not that many local stores to choose from for a lot of fellow shooters. Good long distance service is therefore a good alternative.

And the fellers mentioned above are also fellow citizens here in town.

Editor & Webmaster of CAScity.com
Director - Digital Video Division - Outdoor Sportsman Group (OSG).
Digital Video Production & Post Production OSG
Owner of Down Range Media GP

Cuts Crooked

Never found a pair of boots that fit me right....in a lifetime of trying!

Finally figgered it out...I got weird feet! >:(

Put em on, fill the tub wif warm water, step in the tub and let the water soak em good, including letting it go
over the top and down inside em....then "wear em dry"! Once they've dried they's gonna fit ya about as good as any boot ever will. Use a good leather conditioner on em and keep em clean and dry after that. It werks, mebbe not the best solution...but it werks! ::)
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Ol Gabe

Just for the sake of discussion...
Cuts has it right, if you have a pair of boots that you like but don't fit right, get them wet in warm or hot water then walk in them til they dry, take them off and oil them down and they will serve you well for a long time.
An alternate method is to put towels soaked in HOT water on in the boots til they are saturated and then put them on and wear til dry, approx. 4-6 hours, m/l. Another method I've used is to saturate them in Neatsfoot Oil right from the bottle, put them on and wear til almost dry, 4-6 hours, let set in a cool spot overnight and they'll be right from then on as long as you apply a good topcoat of the same oil every month. Throw away the socks! HAH! Used to do this when farming with Dad, it kept our boots from rotting when we'd be in the 'stuff' around the barnyard as barnyard 'acids' can rot a boot out faster than anything!
When buying, buy from a BOOT SELLER or boot/shoe repair shop and NOT a shoe store! If you live in an area where 'Country' stuff is sold, avoid it like the plague as what they sell is NOT what you want!  If your feet are such that they need special treatment as in Corns, callouses, etc., consider the above as those suggestions are easy to adapt to any foot problems.
OK, so you don't want to wear 'wet' boots all day when 'sizing' because of a foot problem? No problemo! Simply wet down the boots, put your socked-feet into kitchen garbage bags, slide into the boots and wear them til dry then throw away the bags!
Best regards and good fitting!
'Ol Gabe
P.S. If you are a 'Big Boy' like so many of us CAS-types and looking to buy a new pair of boots, then THE FORT has a style with adjustable-calve slats that are just this side of Heaven! All the reports you have seen above probably are in reference to that style I'm sure, and I have seen many, many, many 'Big Boys' wearing them this past year and praising to the High Heavens how good they fit and feel, sooooooo, there ya go! Do I have pair? NOT YET! But next Convention I'm gettin' one!
P.P.S.S. Del & Crew, I wear a 12-13 EEEE but don't tell anybody I told you so, shsssssss! See you in Feb. with my 'new' booties!

Slim Silver

Gotta jump in here on this one...I bought a pair of the Shooters Boots as sold by "The Fort".  I have worn a lot of boots over the years and these are by far the most comfortable boot I have worn right out of the box.  I plan to get a pair in black as well.

Birdgun Quail

http://www.fortfrontier.com/oldwest%20mens%20boot%20page.htm
The most comfortable western boots I've ever worn is the pair of Frontier Boots that I have.  When I was younger and living in El Paso, I had several pairs of "cowboy" boots and none were ever as comfortable as these.  Got the pair from "The Fort," put in some 'Dr. Shoels,' wear 'em all day without foot fatigue.  And I like their looks too!   You can admire them in "My CAS City Profile."
God bless,
Birdgun Quail

The Arapaho Kid

TIME OUT!
NO FIGHTING OR ARGUING IN THIS THREAD!
5 YARD PENALTY FOR THIS!

Wymore Wrangler

I'm one of the lucky one's I live an hour from the Fort, and visit and shop often!   Terry and Glen are first rate friends and salespersons.....
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Marshal'ette Halloway

I have to correct the Marshal.. (Imagine that ::) )

If his boots don't fit.. You KNOW who will get blamed....I will ~~
cause I'm the one that had to measure his danged ole' feet!
So when they come in ..all I can do is hope "da blond read the tape measure right." 
SASS #56524, BCVC #26

The smell of heaven is Fresh Baked Bread and Gun Powder.

El Peludo

I agree with Cuts Crooked and Ol' Gabe.  Having spent a very large portion of my adult life in boots of one sort or another, I found that if I got them wet, and wore them dry, then treated them with oil, they fit well, and I could work in them for long spells of time without my feet gettin sore or even too tired.  This was true of my semi custom work boots, as well as my knock arounds and some dressy boots, too.  Heck, this approach even works fairly well with the new canvas boots that are so common today.  One thing to consider, though, is that the boots/shoes must be of good quality through and through; cheap ones will just fall apart - much sooner than later.
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com