SASS/CAS folks that don't go to matches

Started by Sam Cobra, August 20, 2012, 12:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam Cobra

Just wondered how many folks don't go to matches etc.  I joined SASS last year knowing that I might never shoot at a match, just wanted to support the sport.   I went and watched a match last summer, but haven't been back yet.  I missed the new shooters clinic this spring because it was full and just schedule issues have come up for the other months this summer. I have enjoyed learning and have purchased my guns and enjoyed shooting them. I was talking with another SASS member who never goes to matches just purchased his own targets and shoots with friends. Just made me wonder how many others love CAS guns and topics but never go to matches for one reason or the other.

wildman1

Sam ya ought ta go ta matches. My wife and I started CAS last year and only went ta 3 matches in about 7 or 8 months. The first 2 matches were kind of "nerve wracking" then the 3rd match we went to was kind of large and do ya know they still made us feel at home. We're going ta one about every other week now it seems. Some of them are real tough (ta score well) some are real easy. They are all different. My wife shot a clean match earlier this summer, but she is still a little slower than me. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Bugscuffle

<mod snip> I cannot shoot due to an infermity that prevents it.<mod snip>

I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Camille Eonich

There's no point in taking a simple question and turning into finger pointing and name calling.  Please refrain.

Thanks.
"Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left."
― Clint Eastwood

Drydock

Do what ya can, when ya can, the best ya can, says I.   ;D
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Curley Cole

I know a couple of SASS folks that are unable to shoot anymore, but they still follow the game, and go to the bigger matches.

I myself am becoming more infirm (deteroating arthritis, the last 2 months I was unable to finish the matcch, and may in the not too distant future will not be able to shoot at all.) but I intend to keep at as long as I can as long as I don't hurt too much, and DON'T become a safety issue.

I only wish I had gone to a EOT when I first started thinking about it....I would have had at least 10 more years of fun...

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Johnny McCrae

QuoteDo what ya can, when ya can, the best ya can, says I.
That's a great way of putting it!

I've been shooting in the Elder Statesman class for several years now. When the day comes to hang up my Shootin' Irons, I will find another way to stay involved in this wonderful sport of ours.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Danny Bear Claw

I've only been to a couple of very small matches held by a very small club, (SASS sanctioned, SASS rules).  There were less than a dozen shooters and only 5 or 6 stages.  That particular club held matches on Tuesdays occasionally.  That club faded away into the sunset long ago and I only know of one other club that has week day matches.  That club is over 400 miles away.  My profession forces me to work most weekends which prevents me from going to, pretty much, any matches.   :'(
I guess maybe, when I retire I can shoot some SASS matches...  if I ain't too stove-up or too old and give-out.   ::)
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Sam Cobra

Our local club usually holds matches once a month at 9:00am on a Sunday morning. My wife and I are typically active in church and the range is about an hour away. None of those things are deal breakers just requires everything to work out for me to get there.  :)

DocWard

I have only made it to a couple of matches. Not because of lack of desire, but lack of funds right now and scheduling... It always seems like there is something.
Now you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you.

Storm Crow

Still waiting to go to my first match, but strictly as an observer.  I've got plans to go to a match next month with a friend of mine..  I haven't joined SASS yet.  It'll probably be six months to a year before I can join.

Storm Crow.
Someone recently asked me, "what is the best western?"  I replied, "It's a pretty good motel, but I like Motel 6; they'll keep a light on for you."

WaddWatsonEllis

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Pancho Peacemaker

Quote from: Sam Cobra on August 22, 2012, 09:27:49 AM
Our local club usually holds matches once a month at 9:00am on a Sunday morning. My wife and I are typically active in church and the range is about an hour away. None of those things are deal breakers just requires everything to work out for me to get there.  :)

Ive always been and will always be at church on Sunday morning.  I will miss once or twice a year for the occasional "big" match. 

Have any clubs ever experimented with a Sunday match that starts around 1 pm?  Intention would be to draw in folks that attend mrning services.    If so, how did it influence attendance?
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com