Question:

Started by Forty Rod, August 13, 2012, 07:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forty Rod

I have some heavy elk splits that are sueded on both sides.  Is there any reason I couldn't make a mountain man style shhoting bag from these?

Also, how do I dye this an antique or used-looking medium dark brown.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

GunClick Rick

Sounds good to me,i think it would look great.
Bunch a ole scudders!

WaddWatsonEllis

Forty Rod,

Would walnut dye Work?

Don't know if you need to try special dyes on this ... I would send a PM to Chuck Burrows ...

TTFN,
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Cliff Fendley

I've used walnut dye on holsters that had some suede fringe on them and just dunked the whole thing. It darkened the suede same as the holster so I would think it would work. You might just want to experiment on some scraps from the project before you dye.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Forty Rod

I don't think I can make my own dyes, guys.  I haven't mastered pop top Coke cans yet.  I need something simple, like pour it out of a bottle, add water to thin, dunk and dry.

I tried some liquid Kiwi Scuff Cover wax based stuff and it worked fairly well except it dried to a color reminiscent of day old dog poop.  

Got the identical color with very strong coffee.

Used EEVO and got no noticeable color change after three days in the sun and a very slick (as in "slimy" feeling) piece of leather

Looking for a more reddish russet color.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Forty Rod

I don't think I can make my own dyes, guys.  I haven't mastered pop top Coke cans yet.  I need something simple, like pour it out of a bottle, add water to thin, dunk and dry.

I tried some liquid Kiwi Scuff Cover wax based stuff and it worked fairly well except it dried to a color reminiscent of day old dog poop.  

Got the identical color with very strong coffee.

Used EVOO and got no noticeable color change after three days in the sun and a very slick (as in "slimy" feeling) piece of leather

Looking for a more reddish russet color.

WaddWatsonEllis

Forty Rod,

It is really easy to make dye ... in fact, I have pretty much the exact answer to you needs.

This web address has plenty of walnut powder ... plus, Rancho Cordova is a bedroom city that out lies Sackatomatoes ...

http://www.starwest-botanicals.com/_search.php?q=walnut%20powder

Pour out all this in the toe (and ankle) of one of your wives' old hose

Tie a knot in it so that it becomes like a giant teabag

Put it in a non reactive pot (I found old crock pots that one finds at thrift stores work great *S*. Then you can store it in the pot, heat it up, etc. Your wife will probably want the pot in the garage *S*.

Boil the dye up. preferably until the mix becomes somewhat syrupy.

Then, once it has cooled down, let the leather soak in it ... bring some cleaned stones or such to make sure that all the leather is under the surface.

I have found that if the leather is left for a long time in the dye it may become a little dessicated and stiff, but a little Skidmores always seems to rehydrate the stained leather ...

It makes a walnut/russet brown stain ...

TTFN,
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Cliff Fendley

Forty Rod, Try putting a little dye of your color choice in a small amount of pure neatsfoot and see what happens on a scrap.

I've used fiebings leather stain in pure neatsfoot and stained by oiling before with good results. It may work good with the suede.

Johnson County Rangers

bedbugbilly

If you have some small scraps . . . try some RIT dye like you get at the grocery store.  You might want to mix a couple of different colors to get what you want.  I've dyed deerskin with it - I used brown and it came out a nice medium shade.  Did it right in the washing machine - put the dye in and let the hide soak - then rinsed and dry.  You're going to want to use some type of waterproofing on it when your done so it won't soak up moisture if you get caught out in the rain.  The deer skin I dyed I used for "leggings" and it worked out fine.  I greased them up with some of Dwyer's compound that I had that I purchased from them when I bought my moccasins.  Just a suggestion.

rickk

You may find that the dye soaks into suede deeper than top grain and you will need several applications of dye to get the shade you want.

I have never tried mixing it with Neatsfoot as Cliff Fendley recommends, but I often apply Neatsfoot after the Dye is relatively dry (an hour or so), knowing that the Neatsfoot oil will help distribute the dye in a day or two and remove any unevenness in the coloring.

No matter what happens, don't panic right away... dye has a way of "fixing itself" in a couple of days anyway.

Also, if for some reason the color winds up too dark for your liking, rub some "Dye Prep" over the piece with a paper towel. It will suck some of the excess dye out, as well as drive some of the excess dye deeper into the hide.

Rick

Cliff Fendley

When using it in the Neatsfoot it's not always even. You have to be patient and let it even out for a few days to see what your color will be. Then add more if needed.

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com