H&R .32 pocket pistol

Started by Silver Creek Slim, September 21, 2005, 10:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver Creek Slim

The picture below is of my H&R .32 pocket pistol that I am currently developing loads for and trying to get into working condition. I am using a 91gr Lee boolit, .32 S&W Long cases, and 14grs of FFFg Goex. It makes nice smoke and flame (at night  ;D). It shoots POA at 7 yards with this load. It's a fun little pistol.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

44caliberkid

The H&R, S&W, and Iver Johnson pistols, which tend to shoot quite high with modern smokeless ammo, generally shoot dead on with BP loads, which is what they were designed around.  Imagine that?!!

Pukin Dog

That will be an interesting sight to see at Fandango. . . . Sliim with his itty bitty .32 pistolas and his mighty 10ga goose gun ;D  Trying to go gamer with one and warthog with the other??? :D :D :D
"Puking Dog" Danlbach

Soot Lord Junior Grade
Semi-Warthog

Silver Creek Slim

PD,
When I get it in working condition, I should shoot a stage with it and my .45 just for the comparision.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Steel Horse Bailey

Cool lookin' pistola, Slim!

Mine isn't near as nice (Iver Johnson 38 S&W, made about 1883), but it's a hoot to shoot!  I have some factory loads that I sometimes shoot, but mostly I shoot some "special" BP loads.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Silver Creek Slim

Thanks, Steel Horse Bailey.

I just ordered parts from Numrich, so I hopefully will get it to work correctly.

Slim

Mason Stillwell

WOW nice Pistola !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bet it is a HOOT to SHOOT specially with BP.

Got any photo's of it at night???

Mason (collector of bp photos)Stillwell
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Known early on as Pole Cat Pete
Tar Heel at Heart

Silver Creek Slim

Quote from: Mason Stillwell on September 23, 2005, 10:18:51 AM
WOW nice Pistola !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bet it is a HOOT to SHOOT specially with BP.

Got any photo's of it at night???

Mason (collector of bp photos)Stillwell
No I didn't take any. Sorry.

Slim

Steel Horse Bailey

ANY photo of BP shooting after dark is cool.  Slim, iffn you were a bit closer, I'd volunteer to be your gopher/photographer/fellow nite-time shooter!

Alas, it's not to be. ;)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Lincoln Co. Regulator

Yup, that one looks pretty good. I have a S&W hammerless in .38 S&W that all I shoot in it is BP. Works great, won't wear out the gun, and, as has been noticed, hits the target.
WARTHOG
SOOT LORD
Gunfighter Ordinaire
Smelter of Plumbnum
Gun Tinkerer

litl rooster

This is interesting....Are any of you familar with the British Bull dog .32 pocket?  I've been eyeballing one. Not sure if I would be able to get parts if needed.
Mathew 5.9

Dick Dastardly

Howdy Slim,

Mayhaps we kin find us a side match at Fandango.  I'd like to shoot with ya.  Got me a lil spur trigger Remington 31 with a Kirst Konverter cylinder that shoots 32S&W jest fine.  It's the hideout gun that fits in the middle of my back.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

St. George

I've talked about the various 'Bulldogs', 'Suicide Specials' and 'Pocket Revolvers' on the Historical Society Forum, here at CAS City.

The parts for a 'Bulldog' (or 'Bull Dog')  most generally reside in other folks' guns.

Spare parts can be a 'by Guess and by God' affair - but the search will keep you going to even the smallest gun show in search of what you're needing.
That's not all bad...

That said - if the piece is in good condition, externally - it's a pretty fair indication of how it is internally.

Look for a fairly tight lock-up when the hammer's fully forward as in firing.

A thorough cleaning and lube will greatly improve the feel of the action.

These small revolvers - especially the foreign-made 'Bulldog' varieties - were built for hard service and were probably even a bit 'over-built'.
As long as no major parts are actually broken or missing - you're in good shape.
Spare springs are an 'interesting' thing to have to find - but the past weekend I got several out of a dealer's junk box, so they're out there.

If you have questions about buying one - first read my 'Notes' and send me a PM.

If there's a 'drawback' to them - it's that there are no schematics at all.
They all seem to run to a 'pattern' - but there are idiosyncracies that individual manufacturers put in purely to confound us.

I'll be happy to help where I can.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

litl rooster

St George, thanks for the input, I will go look again next weekend...I believe in this pistols case the grips (real ivory) are worth the price if I parted it out. I just liked the way it looked and am a sucker for a short barrelled gun or unsual types.

thanks again
lr
Mathew 5.9

Silver Creek Slim

I got the parts (sear spring, trigger, and trigger return spring) installed. I had to cut a coil off the sear spring because the trigger wouldn't release the hammer in single action mode. Single action now works, but the trigger return spring is either not longer enough or strong enough to return the trigger to the forward position. So, I have to manually return the trigger forward.  :( Kinda a pain.

Slim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com