Ebony Wood Grip Finish

Started by Danny Bear Claw, July 29, 2012, 04:13:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny Bear Claw

I've got two sets of ebony wood grips.  My Birds' Head Vaquero wears "laminated" ebony wood, which looks great but come dangerously close to being plastic, (yuk).  I've got a second set of ebony grips made for a 1911 which are kind of dull looking.  What can I use to make them shinier?  I don't want to just slop a coat of polyeurythane on them.  I was thinking maybe I could rub in some kind of oil something or other to flash them up a bit.
Any ideas Pards?   ???
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

1961MJS

Hi

I had a pair of Ebony grips, but I left them plain.  I usually put several coats of Tung Oil Finish (not just pure Tung Oil) on my other grips.  The pure Tung Oil isn't very glossy.

Later

Mike
Moore OK

Danny Bear Claw

SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

GunClick Rick

Get some American Holly wood grips~Beeeeuatiful!
Bunch a ole scudders!

Forty Rod

Quote from: GunClick Rick on July 30, 2012, 06:54:54 PM
Get some American Holly wood grips~Beeeeuatiful!

Real holly wood looks startlingly like ivory.

Real Hollywood looks startlingly like plastic.

Sorry, the devil made me do it
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

El Peludo

Try polishing them with gradually finer compounds, like you would a piece of metal, until you reach the level of sheen or shine that you like; don't wax them, though, it will make them slick and slippery.
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com