New-by questions

Started by Slowhand Bob, July 20, 2012, 08:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slowhand Bob

I talked with the guy at Buffalo Arms yesterday and will be waiting until they receive some more bullets, due date is today but they are not always received from the caster on time, or so I am told.  I currently have just some basic reloading tools and supplies for the 45-75. dies and shell holder for single stage loading on the LNL Classic not even sure if Hornady makes a plate for this caliber and their LNL AP?  Unless it is not practical to think one can load very accurate loads for the Uberti '76 I was thinking the single stage would be the way to go?  As far as supplies go I have Goex ffg, fffg and APP fffg powders on hand and my favorite primers the lg rifle Federals.  Would anyone recommend any other items or philosophys for loading accurate rounds for this gun/caliber combination.  This would be used in the lever class naturally so I figure the single shot techniques of blowing the barl would be out and I have been told that I should not use fillers or wads in the bottleneck case?  Pretty much leaves me with the notion that one simply finds the right powder charge and goes with that?  I do have 100 each of the 325gr and 350gr bullets on order to play with load-making.  Do I need anything else before actually starting, I can call it in today before anything ships?  The only two matches currently available to me will be one paper target match with target scoring only, no time deciders, and one that will be using a timer to break accuracy scoring ties.

larryo_1

I don't know if this tidbit will help or not but here goes.  My 45-75 likes Swiss 1½ Black Powder more than those that you say you have and it is cleaner shot for shot.  The most accurate load IN MY RIFLE is 72 grains of Swiss under my Hoch custom mold casting a 350 grain bullet with a 16:1 alloy which the rifle seems to like more than a 20:1 alloy incidently I got this alloy mix recipie off a box of  original cartridges.  I make my own alloys but lately have been getting ingots cast in the alloy that I want from ROTO METALS.  Their web address is: Rotometals.com if you are interested in making your own.  They are not too pricey and deliver in short order.  I also use 22.0 grains of 2400 smokeless under a kapok filler and in over 45 years of using kapok I haven't had a gun blow yet.  This is very accurate---again--in my rifle.  I do prefer the BP tho.  I have put 76 grains in and that is a kick in the pants to shoot.  Not quite as accurate as the 72 grain load but not too bad either.  As far as primers go--right now am using the Federals but do prefer the CCI.  Non of them are cheep anymore.

That is about all I can share with you other than play, play, play and experiment, experiment, experiment.  somewhere out there you  will stumble on the load that YOUR RIFLE likes the best.
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

wildman1

Introduction to BPCR Loading, Chuck Raithel.  I don't know where I got it but try googling and see what ya come up with. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com