Jarhead?

Started by Danny Bear Claw, June 20, 2012, 09:04:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny Bear Claw

Was watching a war movie last night with the wife when the U.S. Marine was referred to as "Jarhead".  The wife asked me what was meant by that term and how it came to be that marines came to be called Jarhead.  As much as I hate to say the words to my wife, I said "I don't know".  I'm an ex-Army grunt.  Any of you ex-marines know where the term jarhead came from?   ???
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

GunClick Rick

From when they got shot in the helmet it would jar thier head around,ya blanket head!! :D :D :D :D :D
Bunch a ole scudders!

Charlie Bowdre

I think it was something to do with how they blocked their headgear.
Not sure but would like to know the real story ???
dutchy
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Danny Bear Claw

I got PM'd that it might have something to do with the head gear.  Jeeze...  one of you Jarheads out there must know why you're called a jarhead.   :-\
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Major 2

A stubborn mule is Jarhead.....

I think it morphed to mean a stubborn Marine.... as in "Tenacious, steadfast & loyal" 
when planets align...do the deal !

GunClick Rick

The term originates from the "high and tight" haircut that many Marines have, which makes their head look like a jar. It did NOT originate from their uniform or cover.
Bunch a ole scudders!

Forty Rod

Quote from: GunClick Rick on June 20, 2012, 05:08:24 PM
The term originates from the "high and tight" haircut that many Marines have, which makes their head look like a jar. It did NOT originate from their uniform or cover.

You're still on my list, ya know!  :o
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

GunClick Rick

THat's what wikipedia said ;D
Bunch a ole scudders!

lonedog

No Ricky they have been called jarheads WAY longer than they have been sporting high and tight haircuts.

So that ain't it. Sometimes Wikipedia is worse than useless.

Forty Rod

People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

St. George

The way I'd heard it - lo, these many years past - it has nothing to do with haircuts, covers or the shape of a shaved head.

It refers to the Marines overwhelming propensity to follow orders, regardless of consequences or personal safety.

Because of their single-minded willingness to put Duty before Self, Marines were said to have 'Jar Heads...hard on the outside and empty on the inside'.

Gotta admit - their 'Hey, Diddle, Diddle - Straight Up the Middle' methodology of attack gave some credence to that - but in certain situations, that's the most efficient way to attack a position, so I can't fault them, and salute the sense of esprit that's been a hallmark of the Corps.

Airborne!

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

GunClick Rick

I used to work with a feller from the service,i had to tell him to get his head out of the kimchi jar! He loved that stuff,then i had to smell him the rest of the day. :o You ever patch roads in 105 with a kimchi eater???? :'(
Bunch a ole scudders!

Major 2

Quote from: St. George on July 05, 2012, 09:55:30 AM
The way I'd heard it - lo, these many years past - it has nothing to do with haircuts, covers or the shape of a shaved head.

It refers to the Marines overwhelming propensity to follow orders, regardless of consequences or personal safety.

Because of their single-minded willingness to put Duty before Self, Marines were said to have 'Jar Heads...hard on the outside and empty on the inside'.

Gotta admit - their 'Hey, Diddle, Diddle - Straight Up the Middle' methodology of attack gave some credence to that - but in certain situations, that's the most efficient way to attack a position, so I can't fault them, and salute the sense of esprit that's been a hallmark of the Corps.

Airborne!

Scouts Out!

what I said  ;D  .... "a stubborn Marine.... as in "Tenacious, steadfast & loyal" 
when planets align...do the deal !

Professor Marvel

wikipedia, urban dictionary, et al are only as good as the people who choose to make the entries.

while i have been unable to find an official USMC history site that addresses the slang ( and oft derogatory ) terms I did find this well-done site by a Marine : http://www.montney.com/marine/brief.htm

hope this helps
yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant

praeceptor miraculum

~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Drayton Calhoun

Professor, as a retired sailor, I must admit I have heard both reasons for Marines being called 'Jarheads'. The most popular, at the time of my enlistment, was that they used old Clorox bleach jugs (the old glass type) for blocking their fatique or 'Gung Ho' covers. At the time it was generally accepted. Much the same as a G.I. being called a 'Dogface'. As I recall reading somewhere, the term came from the Native Americans who referred to most white trappers as 'Dogfaces' due to their excessive facial hair. The true origins will probably never be known.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

PJ Hardtack

Wanna know the origin of the USMC hat badge? Check out the badge of the Royal Marines.

Note the eastern hemisphere as opposed to the western?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Daniel Nighteyes

Quote from: GunClick Rick on June 20, 2012, 12:29:16 PM
From when they got shot in the helmet it would jar thier head around,ya blanket head!! :D :D :D :D :D

HEY NOW!!! Watch how you use the term "blanket-head"!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

3Fingers_Murphy

Some of you are close, but most people don't realize the high and tight style most of you equate with Marines came about after WW2. Marines were already called Jarheads before the high and tight became the style of choice and later the expectation if not the letter of the code in the Marine Corps uniform standards of grooming. The military hair styles were much longer for all services than they are today.  Whitewalls really caught on in the 60s.
Instead of guessing or consulting wrongapedia you should ask a Marine. Ask an older one, if you don't know one then you should get acquainted with one.
I looked at the pages some of you listed and even those kids acknowledged you needed to consult an old salt to find the true origin. When you find a brown shoe Marine you're getting close, when you find one who calls the current crop "hip pocket Marines" then you will have reached the source you need. Ask him, but you'd better hurry, their numbers are getting thin. I don't mean the current usage of the term hip pocketing,or hip pocket training but the term an 87 year old will use with a twinkle in his eye.
Semper Fi
Murphy

WaddWatsonEllis

Hi,

Because this was Marine oriented, I have just surfed and read ... but my father was a 'brown shoe mustang' as in Army Air Corps ... he did not see blue uniforms until he went back in in 1952 for the 'Police Action'. So watch what you say about brown shoes and Mustangs ... but it did warm my heart and reminded me of my deceased dad ...

This post was written with the deepest respect for Uncle Sam's Misguided Children ... fighting words unless you are a marine or have worked closely with them ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

John Smith

Quote from: WaddWatsonEllis on July 06, 2012, 10:38:28 PM
Hi,

Because this was Marine oriented, I have just surfed and read ... but my father was a 'brown shoe mustang' as in Army Air Corps ... he did not see blue uniforms until he went back in in 1952 for the 'Police Action'. So watch what you say about brown shoes and Mustangs ... but it did warm my heart and reminded me of my deceased dad ...

This post was written with the deepest respect for Uncle Sam's Misguided Children ... fighting words unless you are a marine or have worked closely with them ....

Come now, everyone knows that USMC stands for University of Science Music and Culture.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com