How long should a customer expect to wait?

Started by Maui Mick, May 29, 2012, 05:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maui Mick

Question for you leathersmiths. I ordered a holster rig about 3 months ago.  I was toldwhen ordering it would take 4-6 weeks. Called at 8 weeks and was told couldn't give me an exact time because he didn't want to make a promise he couldn't keep. Time has gone on and still can't give me a time. Says I don't understand because his time and my time are different and not being a real cowboy. A real cowboy would be happy to get it when he gets it. IS HE RIGHT? OR SHOULD I CANCEL THE ORDER?
Thanks for any in put.  Feels like island time.  ??? ???

TwoWalks Baldridge

Some times the only opinion that counts is your own.

Now I did have to chuckle at this point ... ;D ...  My Grandfather was "A real cowboy" and would probably have shot him by now, he had little patience.  Seems like an attempt to play on your sensibilities.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Springfield Slim

Is it something that any leathersmith can do or is this guys stuff special? Did he give you a better deal that anyone else could? If the answer is no to both than I think when he went over his time quote by twice than you are justified in cancelling the deal.  I tell people 6-8 weeks but sometimes it goes over by 2-3 weeks on occasion, and if they cancel I don't take it personal. I have 2 kids and they come first so if I run over I run over. Heck of a way to run a business but if I wanted to keep a schedule and make real money I woulda kept my regular job!
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

TN Mongo

Have you paid for the rig yet?  If he's had your money the whole time, you should be able to get a better answer as to when it will be finished.

On the other hand, if you haven't paid him yet, you should be patient.  I'm a one man operation and I have gotten months behind.  Very few of us can make a full time living making leather and life and our other obligations  can get in the way.  About a year ago I had a 10 month wait on new orders.  I rarely take any money until the job is done, because I know how easy it is to get "covered up".  Since I am only a part timer, I honestly tell people that I'm very slow and if they want their stuff in a hurry I help them find another maker.

Cliff Fendley

Things do happen, I have things take longer than I expect at times and then sometimes I tell someone 3 months and it winds up 3 weeks when the order happens to fit in with others.

Most custom leathercrafters are like knifemakers and are one man shops. It just takes a few things to happen at the wrong time to push us back weeks or months. As Slim and Mongo said there are families and other things that can effect a small one man business and there isn't much money in it so if the crops or livestock need tending or another job calls that puts food on the table it sometimes just takes priority.

Then there is always the health thing, one man gets sick himself or has to take off to help a friend or family then the one man shop is now shut down.

Just last year besides having flare up with my back and neck one of my best friends passed away and I found myself helping his widow sort out his shop and estate, a few other unexpected things came up at the same time and I wound up delivering orders this spring that I had thought would be done last summer.

I'm not making excuses for the guy as I don't know his situation but can say I've been there before and was thankful for my understanding customers.

I don't understand the real cowboy thing though  ::)
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Maui Mick

Thanks for the feedback I appreciate hearing every ones perspective. And would enjoy hearing more.  He has not charged my card yet though I told him I was willing to pay up front in the beginning as it is only fair to have money for the materials.  I guess what bothered me the most was I felt I was being talked down to and was not worthy since I was not a real "cowboy".  First time since I've been a member of the SASS and dealing with businesses involved that anyone has been so condescending.  But I keep thinking I have 3 months invested in waiting that I hate to go somewhere else and start another long wait.  Again Mahalo.

Forty Rod

Cancel the order and move on.  I won't tolerate being ignored nor talked down to, by anyone.  It's cost me some friends, some jobs, and some promotions, but it's the way I am.

Lots of people make holsters and will often give  you exactly what you want in decent time.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Massive

I could probably think up a list of 20 factors that would affect a decision like this.  For instance, there can be a point where the experience is bad enough that you won't enjoy the product once you get it.

I tend to ere on the side of patience.  I remember the days were you couldn't get an order started in under a month or two.  I would consider whether this guy is socially awkward, disorganized, or of bad character.  Whether my pulling an order at this point is particularly unfair for some reason. Then I would consider how bad the situation had really got from my perspective.  Then I would try to be straight and just tell the guy why I was out of there if that was the decision.  If there are no heavy ties, your simply not wanting to wait is good enough reason.

I'm kinda against the "my customer" attitude.  And I have been on both sides.  If you had been told at the outset it would be 6 months and that would have spooked you.  At what point after waiting several months did the scenario change to one in which you are his customer, and now you just have to take what you can get.  I wouldn't badmouth him for being on his own timeline, or me for walking.

Deadeye Don

I agree with Forty.  For me it would not be so much that fact he is unable to give you a time when delivery would take place give or take a month, but his "not a real cowboy" comment would have sealed the deal for me.  A business owner should not talk to a customer that way.  If you have not paid up front for the item, cancel the order and find someone else.  In situations like this you really don't know if he is actually that behind in his work OR if he is simply pushing your order further back so he can take care of other customers first.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Mogorilla

I am with Forty on this as well.  Although according to my father, when they were handing out patience, I got irritated and left the line.   Communication is key, in a hobby business or a regular business.  I tend to do 1 project at a time as I am in it for fun.  I never take money upfront because I feel it the client doesn't like it, no one loses.   Also, I try and give updates regularly.  Easier, as I do not take on more than 1 or 2 projects at a time.   Just my $0.02

Cliff Fendley

Did he tell you where you were in line? As I said before things happen but personally I would be turned off by the real cowboy comment and even though I get behind on orders I can tell someone how far down the list they are.

Johnson County Rangers

Major 2

Chalk up another for 40's comment...

" not worthy since I was not a real "cowboy".   

WHAT A CROCK !  ::)

RUN don't walk away .... there a dozens of fine Makers on this thread .... Cliff Fendley is infact one !

when planets align...do the deal !

Marshal Will Wingam

He may have a a lot going on in his life that you'll never know. It's still no reason to be disrespectful. Both sides of a deal need to show respect. His lack of respect may even show in the quality work he does for you. If you insulted him, he'd tell you to go take a hike. You may want to consider taking your business elsewhere.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

GunClick Rick

Should of went with one of the fellers here to begin with,even if it took a little longer you know dang well it's going to be quality stuff!! :) And i bet iffin you was to call any of "em" a one eyed peg legged rattlesnake kissin saloon dawg,they still treat ya with respect! :-*
Bunch a ole scudders!

WaddWatsonEllis

What Rick said .... I could not say it any better or clearer ...

TTFN
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

bedbugbilly

Yes and +1 to what they all said . . . or something like that.   ;D

Maui Mick

Thanks to everyone for their input.  I was just starting to doubt my thinking.  I did cancel today, though I was looking forward to the holster setup and cartridge belt I feel better not having to deal with the individual again.  I've heard he has a quality rep for his builds but I sure their are many others.  I'll lay it out hear as well as probably post it on on the classified wanteds.  If any one is willing to give me names and websites if available. Looking for "Huckleberry" shoulder rig as well as new cartridge belt (billet style).  would like them lined and of course quality and price play roles.  So if anyone would be willing to give me names and contacts.  Having waited so long already would love to get them in the next 6 weeks so I still have some of the summer with them. 

I am very happy to have gotten all the friendly and honest feedback this CAS community is great.

PS. I am also willing to listen when others think me wrong.

Shoot straight, shoot safe,

Mick

Cliff Fendley

A friend and I are getting ready to work up a Huckleberry shoulder holster for him and the cartridge belt isn't a problem....but I'd be lying to you if I told you I could have it in 6 weeks. The belt maybe.

By the way, welcome to Cas City, pull up a chair a sit a spell.

Johnson County Rangers

Marshal Will Wingam

Congrats, MM. You will get the rig you want.

Any of you pros that can help, pm Maui Mick with the details.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

KidTerico

MM you will be more than happy with the rig you will get now.  KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com