Period rimfire cartridge box

Started by Pancho Peacemaker, May 23, 2012, 06:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pancho Peacemaker

Trying to get Biscuit as PC as humanly possible for Nationals.

Does anyone have a lead on reproduction period cartridge boxes for .22 rimfire? 
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Ima Sure Shot

Pancho perhaps you could print your own label and glue.... A nice father/ son project. There is a picture of one on page 31 of "Guns of the Old West " by Dean K. Boorman. Not very plain- I do not think it would scan and e-mail.Celeste

Dutch Limbach

Pancho,

Here is a cartridge collecting site with some images of period boxes/labels:
http://cartridgecollectors.org/22box/22box.htm

The Smith & Wesson, Ethan Allen, or Federal Primer Corporation would be pretty easy to duplicate.
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Ima Sure Shot

Dutch,
That is a great site.   I like the "Pointer Brand". I knew there were" bib overalls" that were Pointer Brand but had know Idea there was Pointer Brand 22 ammo.Celeste

St. George

Keep in mind - to be period correct, the .22s will be .22 Short.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Pancho Peacemaker

Quote from: St. George on May 24, 2012, 09:35:36 AM

Scouts Out!

I've read that Stevens introduced the .22 Long Rifle cartridge in 1887.

Is that not correct?
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."

Deadeye Dick

The website Dutch posted lists dates for the different 22's. It shows 1884 for 22 LR.
Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

OklaTom

Quote from: St. George on May 24, 2012, 09:35:36 AM

Scouts Out!

Really?  Pretty hasty comment.  That would depend on the firearm.  The 22 LR cartridge was introduced in the late 1880s by Stevens for their break top rifles and New Model Pocket Rifle and Bicycle Rifle.  Some firearms then, as now, were chambered only in 22 Short and continued that way, notably the small handguns.  But rifles were chambered in different 22 calibers.  For instance, the Winchester 1890, patented in 1888 by Browning, came in 4 variations - 22 Short, 22 Long, 22 Long Rifle, and 22 Winchester Rimfire.  So, Pancho and Biscuit would still be correct with 22 LR in our period.
"I druther have a pocket full of rocks than an empty gun..."

OklaTom@att.net

Major 2

S&W had the 22 Short in 1857

Stevens developed the .22 LR round in 1887,
by 1888 they produced 5 rifle and a pocket model in 22LR.

when planets align...do the deal !

Pancho Peacemaker

One other tidbit:  Biscuit owns a Remington No. 4 Rolling block made in 1890 and it is chambered in .22 LR.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

Cole Bluesteele

Pancho,

If you give up on the boxes.  I have some small cloth bags I sometimes use to carry ammo and empty brass. I'd be proud to supply Biscuit with however many he needs.

Ted

Pancho Peacemaker

I hijacked a few cardboard ammo boxes and printed some of the labels from Dutch's link and :

Thanks Dutch
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

Dutch Limbach

"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Ima Sure Shot

Those look great.  Looks like biscuit is all set. Celeste

Pancho Peacemaker

Quote from: Ima Sure Shot on May 24, 2012, 10:11:04 PM
Those look great.  Looks like biscuit is all set. Celeste

Wait till you see him.

He's pulling off a  pretty good  "Tom Sawyer / young William Bonney" look. 
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

Cliff Fendley

Those look really good Pancho, can't wait to see Biscuit. It should be a fun time for all.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com