Arvo Ojala rig

Started by john beattie, May 13, 2012, 12:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john beattie

Hi guys and gals
just finished this rig for a customer, it's based on the hollywood fastdraw rig worn by James Arness in gunsmoke.

The colour turned out a little darker than i wanted it should have been more like the inside of the holster but apart from that im quite happy with it. I would have liked to rough it up a bit but the chap wanted it looking new, made for a 7 1/2" colt

hope you all like it
john :)

Marshal Will Wingam

That's a good one, John. Nice job of capturing the look. Nice work.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

John, you ACED it pard, Alfonso Penada use to make his holsters for him until he went out on his own, you did a great job, and can be proud of what you turned out. ::) :o 8) ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

john beattie

Hi Marshal, Hi Ten wolves thank you both for your comments much appreciated :D

all the best

john ;)

KidTerico

John just plain outstanding.  KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

GunClick Rick

Sheesh!Right off the Gunsmoke set :) NICE!
Bunch a ole scudders!

TexasToby

Very nice John, very nice!
Swinging a rope is alot of fun unless, your neck is in the loop.

TwoWalks Baldridge

Matt would have been proud to wear that rig.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

john beattie

Thank's guys, It went in the post today so hope the customer likes it as much as you do

many thanks

TwoWalks Baldridge

Quote from: john beattie on May 14, 2012, 12:31:30 PM
Thank's guys, It went in the post today so hope the customer likes it as much as you do

many thanks

If not: then that boy aint right in the head.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Slowhand Bob

A very nice rig and here is one for the collectors amongst us.  Sorry but this does not seem to work as a link and will require 'cut and paste'.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/320906802839?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_1202

I have found one with a small amount of carving that is going for much cheaper, as of now, and these would seem to be more unusual than the plain ones??

Marshal Will Wingam

Thanks for the link, Bob. I made it a hyperlink for you so it works, now.

john beattie

Those originals do hold a good price thanks for the link Bob, there was another on ebay at the time i made mine also with a nice  price tag

back too mine, the guy got, it loved it,and said it fit him and his pistol like a glove and then disaster second time he put it on the buckle shattered so its on it way back to me, i can't believe it iv'e used quite a few of the clipped corner buckles from tandy and never had any bother, i just hope i can replace it without any damage.

i always thought those buckle were solid brass with nickel plate but there not there some sort of zinc alloy, the bar snapped clean off

john

Slowhand Bob

John, very likely a casting flaw.  I have used these from Tandy and Weavers for years and never had a problem.  After watching some of the fellas team up to strap their belts down, its amazing that the buckles hold up as well as they do.  Remember the scene in GONE WITH THE WIND  where Mammy lashes down Scarletts corset, some of our no a__ at all shooters make that look like light weight pressure!  There is another original rig on ebay now with a very low serial number and high reserve price.

WaddWatsonEllis

John,

Don't remember where I read this, but I am told that when James Arness has his gun battle at the beginning of each 'Gunsmoke' show, that the other gunslinger was actually Arvo Ojala ... but it may only be a great urban myth I am perpetuating here ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Wad, it is no myth, that was Arvo Ojala, at the beginning shots of Gun Smoke, as he bared down on Matt Dillon, he was in a few movies during the high time of western movies. I new Arvo personally as well as Alfonso Penada, that was a great time, Cowboy fast draw was a lot of fun back then and still is today, just ask Wes Flowers, Wes was a big contender during that time, and went on to just a few years ago, I'm not sure if he still competes or not, but Wes was always fun to watch, and very quick.

tEN wOLVES ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

john beattie

Thanks Bob i was hoping it was just a bad buckle as i do like them

Wadd on a different note boothill bob put me onto this site  www.bunkhousetools.com as i was looking for some embossing plates and i see they sell holster molds they have one for the 1858 and if i remember wright you were asking a bit back if there was one available, it's on the 6th page under holster molds
iv'e droped you a pm just in case you miss this

i must admit iv'e never watched gunsmoke but it's playing on sky over here in the uk so i may have to down tools for a bit and watch an episode or two ;)

john

GunClick Rick

On the DVD Silverado the directors cut shows Arvo,he was a gun coach on that movie,i belive it may be the last one he did.
Bunch a ole scudders!

GunClick Rick

Bunch a ole scudders!

Marshal Will Wingam

Thanks for the video link, Rick. 8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com