Is this Possible-Safe?????

Started by Paladin UK, April 25, 2012, 10:42:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paladin UK

Ho the Camp...

I`m getting the `Devils Own` with trying to find a Sharps Carbine in 45LC...
So my thinking is...
Is it safe to lob a chopped 45-70 (Effectivly trimmed ta 45 LC length) BP round through said Sharps.

A bit like a 38 sp through a 357 Lever Action

And..Yes It Is Necessary... because the range cert only covers Gallery Rifle calibres and my rationale is that iffn my cases are NOT 45-70 length they cannot even by accident exceed the range certs.
And again only iffn its SAFE!!

Paladin (Whut needs input  ::) ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Pettifogger

I've cut .45-70s down to .45-60s, sold the .45-60 and still use the brass in the .45-70.  The problem you will have is that as you cut the brass shorter it gets thicker toward the case head.  Depending on how short you cut it, you might have to inside ream the case to be able to seat your bullet properly.

Durango Flinthart

I would try some of the old Gov't recipes for 45-70 gallery loads using a reduced black powder charge 15 to 20 grains, a filler like Cream of Wheat, or fiber wads on top of the powder leaving just enough room for a .458 dia. round ball to be seated flush inside the case.

Watch your topknot    
When the cambrian measures were forming they promised purpetual peace. They swore if we gave up our weapons the wars of the tribes, they would cease, but when we disarmed they enslaved us and delivered us bound to our foe and the Gods of the copybook headings said, "Stick to the devil you know." Kipling

Paladin UK

Fer Durango
T`ain't the charge size thats a problem pard,  its the case size

If the round looks like a 45LC there would be less... OMG he`s shooting 45-70 and he`s a Committee member!! he of all people should know better!! :o

Paladin (What wants to shoot 45-35  ;) ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

You can cut it off to .45LC length, load it up with powder & ball or bullet and make it go bang and KLANG!!

My question is;  How will that thick sided chopped case seal the breach ???
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Paladin UK

Fer SC..........
QuoteMy question is;  How will that thick sided chopped case seal the breach

That is part of my concern... I know it aint  a problem with 38 in a 357 Rossi, `n 44mag trimmed to 44 spl

Using BP the pressure aint gonna be like it would be with.... SORRY BUT I GOTTA SAY IT.. nitro So would that create a problem blowback wise as well!!

I really would like to get this sorted as I am having reeeeel problems here in the UK trying to get a Sharps Carbine in 45 LC

Paladin (What needs ta sort this out!!  :D ) UK

Paladins Web Site

Coffinmaker

Hi PUK,

Well, no one on this side of the pond would have much reason to do it.
Safe??? Sure with BP you can't come close to pressure problems.  Because of the case thickness first step is to cut the case, seat and crimp a bullet and see if it chambers without an inside ream of the case.  Then load one or two up and ..... Well ....... Fire it.
The only pay her problem will be bullet jump from case to rifling.  Long ways.  You'll need long bullets.  Or for a real Gallery load, round balls.
Then there will be the problem of FIERCE recoil ;D

Coffinmaker

PUK;  Why don't you opt for a roller.  H.Kranck has RB carbines in .45 LC & .44-40 and the baby roller in several calibers including .32-20 & .357Mag.

A thought for research; cut off .410 cases?

pony express

There might be another problem with cutting down 45-70 cases, they're not really straight walled, but tapered. That's why uou can't just use a .45 colt case, it would just fall into the chamber. You'd probably have to do an extreme neck sizing, so it would look like a miniature bottle neck cartridge, or maybe like a 44-40 on steroids. Then you're launching the bullet down a long tapered "funnel" that is the chamber, with probably lots of blowby before it finally hits the rifling.

Might be better to lobby for a rule change to allow gallery loads in rifle cartridges.

Paladin UK

Ho SC..
I got me a Pedersoli Baby Roller in .45, nice gun (See att piccie) but I jest dont really like it!! The 410 idea might be worth persuing though  ;)

Fer PE..
The problem we got there is that it would only take one AR$EhO£E to get caught using a stoked round and we would be closed down in the blink of a eye. :'(

Paladin (What still looking for answers  ??? ) UK

Paladins Web Site

John Taylor

The 45-70 barrel has a groove diameter of .458" and the 45 Colt has a groove diameter of .452". Cutting a 45-70 barrel off and setting it back is not a good idea to make a 45 Colt. Time for a new barrel or a liner with the proper size bore.
John Taylor, gunsmith

Colt Fanning

Howdy,
You might be able to get the chamber sleeved and fireform the brass up to handle a .459 ball.  ( I haven't tried this.)
Regards
Colt

Paladin UK

I reckon I`m jest gonna havta convince (Somehow) the Committee that the majority Of club members would see sense and download 45-70s and the like to keep within range safety spec, after all iffn they wuz caught red handed they would be out!!

I reckon I`d need a bucket full of Grits on top of 30gns of black!!

Nother thought is possibly a 44-40..... who does a Sharps carbine in that flavour?  ::)

Paladin (Whats still thinkin  ::) ) UK

Paladins Web Site

PUK;  I have a .45 SLIM mould from DD.  Turns out it turns out .460 dia. 170 gr. truncated cone Big Lube bullets.  If you are interested ???

Paladin UK

Fer SC..

Well thanks pard!! However, I have made my decision and I`m gonna get meownself the mini sharps in 45LC. I know its gonna cost plenty but I am gonna sell my Original 16 #97 at the Phoenix meeting next month ta give me some spendies towards it.

Jest a thought..Would that BL Boolit suffice fer the mini Sharps?

Paladin (What lurvs playin cowboy ;D) UK

Paladins Web Site

Quote from: Paladin UK on May 05, 2012, 12:57:25 PM
Fer SC..

Well thanks pard!! However, I have made my decision and I`m gonna get meownself the mini sharps in 45LC. I know its gonna cost plenty but I am gonna sell my Original 16 #97 at the Phoenix meeting next month ta give me some spendies towards it.

Jest a thought..Would that BL Boolit suffice fer the mini Sharps?

Paladin (What lurvs playin cowboy ;D) UK
PUK The .45 LC would likely have a .451 groove dia.  Your PUK mould for the Old Army would be close to perfect.

Paladin UK

SC says...
Quote PUK The .45 LC would likely have a .451 groove dia.  Your PUK mould for the Old Army would be close to perfect.

Doncha jest lurv this game!! `sgettin better by the minute!!

Paladin (What cant wait ta try fer size  :D ) UK

Paladins Web Site

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com