Payday Monday, but dang..

Started by Slowhand Bob, March 31, 2012, 09:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slowhand Bob

Well my govt allotment comes on Monday but got to spend all day at the hospital.  At any rate the old poor boy plans to spend a pittance on ordering some bullets for the new 45-75 out of this months check and would like to get the order in on Tuesday.  Due to certain health issues I can definitely not be casting or even excessive handling of lead so I am looking strictly for finished bullets and their sources.  Will be using real bp in a 28" barl so need lots of lube.  A good newby bullet recommendation and source for same would be appreciated.

One other 'really dumb' question,  for additional lube needs, has anyone ever considered adding a small dollop of Crisco to the chamber area after ever second or third round?  Could be done with a popsicle stick fairly quickly and easily I would think.  Would it play havock with the accuracy more so than the fouling I would be trying to reduce?  Any help with bullet sources for my first loads would be appreciated.

Grizzly Adams

Hi, Bob.

While I do not shoot a lot of BP in my rifles, I have had an opportunity to dismantle and autopsy some vintage BP 45-60 and found nothing unusual whatsoever about those loads in terms of carrying any extra lube!  Buffalo Arms sells the proper original style bullet, lubed and ready to go, for the 45-60 and the 45-75.  Check their website. :)

Oh, and about that stick and grease thing........don't. ;D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Joe Lansing

Lube of any kind in the chamber is not a good idea. It changes the pressure distribution when the round goes off. The case will not grip the chamber walls and more pressure is directed to the bolt. Not a good idea in the toggle link locking system.
    In the past there have been a few guns that called for greased ammo, but these were automatic weapons and the grease was needed to insure reliable function. Another thing is that lube/grease will hold dirt or grit and create a whole new set of problems.

JL

Roosterman

You might consider a grease cookie under the bullet.
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

Slowhand Bob

Buffylo is out and seems to be reeeal unsure as to the status of the 350gr bullets, any other ideas guys?

Slowhand Bob

Well two months have come and gone with no 350gr bullets available at BA but they are now saying two weeks?  I hope to order some as soon as they come available.  Was the 350 an unusual selection for the 45-70 and is it common to find these this hard to come by for bp loads?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com