Black Marks

Started by Old Doc, March 29, 2012, 08:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Doc

Anybody know how to remove black marks from leather ? I bought a vintage Arvo Ojala fast draw rig and it is in great shape except for black markings at the bottom of each bullet loop where the lead bullet might contact the leather and similar blackening of the billet where it came in contact with the buckle. This appears to be different from the vertigris (sp?) that you get from brass contacting leather. I tried some baking soda in a paste and saddle soap, both without much effect.

Freedom

Oxalic acid wiil nutralize iron stains on leather...but after the stain has set for a while it probly won't come clear out. I use it all the time in the shop...it really works well to remove fingure prints or if you get a little vineagroon on something you don't want it on.
www.7xleather.com ...Cowboy and Muzzle loading Gear

Crossdrawnj

How about a pic of the Arvo rig?

Old Doc

Quote from: Freedom on March 30, 2012, 11:52:58 AM
Oxalic acid wiil nutralize iron stains on leather...but after the stain has set for a while it probly won't come clear out. I use it all the time in the shop...it really works well to remove fingure prints or if you get a little vineagroon on something you don't want it on.
Where do I get oxalic acid ?

Old Doc

Quote from: Crossdrawnj on March 30, 2012, 12:55:22 PM
How about a pic of the Arvo rig?
Every time I try to do that, I end up having to go to confession !

GunClick Rick

If it ain't to bad i'd leave that Arvo the way it is.. :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Old Doc

Yeah, I know but I was born with this "restoration" gene.

Mogorilla

Chances are it is a lead oxide from the bullets.  Not sure what would take that off.  I would lean to not messing with an Arvo rig as well.

Eloy Santa Cruz

Doc, drug stores used to carry oxalic acid but not anymore in my parts. I got mine at a chemical supply store.
My monikor comes from my family's former ranch Santa Cruz Farms located outside Eloy, Arizona. The Santa Cruz river runs through the land.
    " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them" ---John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Old Doc

Quote from: Eloy Santa Cruz on April 01, 2012, 12:04:10 PM
Doc, drug stores used to carry oxalic acid but not anymore in my parts. I got mine at a chemical supply store.

Thanks, I'll see if I can find some. Added to my collection last night. My siblings chipped in and bought me a Paladin rig from Alfonsos for my birthday. The best part, however, was that it was presnted to me by Peter Boone, son of Richard. We had quite a party.

Camano Ridge

Once you find oxalic acid you probably won't want to use it because of all the warning lables that will be on the container. I have used lemon juice successfully on pieces that I have that came in contact with metal filing and got black spots. You are neutralizing the base reaction of the metal by using a mild acid. I use a damp sponge put some lemon juice on the sponge rub lightly and let dry overnight. However always take into consideration the collectability of an item before making changes. to me black spots where the bullets rested is character not black marks.

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: kreimans on April 01, 2012, 01:39:17 PMHowever always take into consideration the corlectability of an item before making changes. to me black spots where the bullets rested is character not black marks.
Well said, kreimans. Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to more of your posts.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

I would just leave it alone, just keep the leather in good shape with Skidmores and it should last a long time, messing with the leather at this time would only shorten the life of your rig, you don't want a special rig from the past to look new anyway, IMHO.

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Old Doc

Quote from: kreimans on April 01, 2012, 01:39:17 PM
Once you find oxalic acid you probably won't want to use it because of all the warning lables that will be on the container. I have used lemon juice successfully on pieces that I have that came in contact with metal filing and got black spots. You are neutralizing the base reaction of the metal by using a mild acid. I use a damp sponge put some lemon juice on the sponge rub lightly and let dry overnight. However always take into consideration the collectability of an item before making changes. to me black spots where the bullets rested is character not black marks.

Lemon juice had ZERO effect.

rickk

GunClick Rick

Quote from: Old Doc on April 01, 2012, 12:34:27 PM
Thanks, I'll see if I can find some. Added to my collection last night. My siblings chipped in and bought me a Paladin rig from Alfonsos for my birthday. The best part, however, was that it was presnted to me by Peter Boone, son of Richard. We had quite a party.

What the!!!!!! And no pictures??? I ain't buyin it till i see pictures!!!  :) :) :) Man how darn nice is that! Them ain't cheap niether :-\
Bunch a ole scudders!

GunClick Rick

Bunch a ole scudders!

Old Doc

Quote from: GunClick Rick on April 05, 2012, 11:59:39 AM
Here ya go Doc,cover the black spots with these  ;D :)

http://www.vintagegunleather.com/shoppe/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21&products_id=158

Thanks for the reference. I need some more. I have some of those but just loaded them into the Paladin rig. I'll try to work on some pictures but every time I try I end up losing my religion. Guess I need to get the wife involved.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com