Making smoke with the "Tower of Power".....

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, March 01, 2012, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. Jack McQuesten

I got to make a little more smoke yesterday with my 5-1/2" Pietta New Army. This gave me the chance to try out my new "Tower of Power" cylinder loading stand that I just got from Big Lube Black Powder Shooting Supplies.

We set the targets out at 10 yards and commenced to blasting. Using the bench as a rest, I was able to make one ragged hole in the target with one flyer for a couple of my six shot strings. It appears that this New Army shoots a little to the right, but it can hold a tight group if I do my part.

I was shooting 25 grains of fff behind a lubed wad topped off with a .457 ball and set off with #10 caps. The "Tower of Power" stand sure makes loading a snap and it throws a nice shaved lead ring when you seat the ball. 

Here are a few pics of yours truly in action:

The "Tower of Power" loading stand:

This is one of my targets. It is on sideways so it would fit on the backer. The lower shots are from my buddy's Uberti 1875  "Outlaw" revolver in .45LC. The shots to the right of the bullseye are from my New Army:

This is my buddy "Lefty Sixkills" trying his hand with my New Army. Like me, he is a newcomer to the Holy Black. He accompanied me to the local black powder shoot a couple of weeks ago. Since then he has bought his own Confederate Navy BP revolver with a brass frame in .44 caliber:

SASS #56937  BOLD #527  RATS #120  WARTHOG
"There's payment to be made to them thats done this...."

Slowhand Bob

With the tower, you can obtain a few extra cylinders for your pistola and load them quickly and easily at home.  This makes using the cap and ball Remington about as quick and easy at the loading table as most cartridge guns.  Another advantage to pulling cylinders between stages is the fact that it negates the fouling, a complaint by many who are not familiar with the '58.  Looks like you have it figured out, have fun and enjoy the best Frontiersman gun design going. 

fourfingersofdeath

"and it throws a nice shaved lead ring"

Always desirable, but made me smile because that is preeeeeeeeeeeeecisely what you are trying to avoid seating and crimping bullets in a cartridge case.

Good shooting, removing the cylinder does allow you to give the frame opening and cylinder a quick touch up with a brush or rag.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Steel Horse Bailey

Glad you're happy with your new "toys."

Great pics, too!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Dick Dastardly

The TOP cylinder loading stand mounts nicely on my gun cart.  At a match I load the cylinders at my gun cart and install and cap them at the loading table.  It's quick and easy and allows me plenty of time for posse activities and visiting.  Of course, I load lube/sized Big Lube®LLC bullets, so fouling isn't ever a problem.  My ROAs like either the little EPP-UG or the heavier DD-PUK Flat bullets.

Sure takes the pain out of shooting Frontiersman.

DD-MDA

Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com